1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

fat back tyre for a 1200 sportster?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by padsta, Jul 14, 2004.

1. padsta

padsta New Member

due for a tyre change, want to put a wider back tyre on my sportster, it's a stock spoked wheel. any idea's to whats fat and will fit? :confused:
  2. Dirty Dean

Dirty Dean New Member

The folks at my local Harley dealer tell me that we can go with a 160 if we change to a chain drive. I like the looks of of chain drives because I still remember the day when we laughed at belt drives. I am hesitant though because it seems like the bolts from my fender struts and turn signal mounts would be dangerously close to rubbing when you hit a big bump.

I have also been looking at a few kits that will allow up to a 240. They cost more than I want to dump into it though. Most of the fat tire kits are around $1000 + a fender + the wider wheel + the rubber + paint. And thats just the costs that I can think of. Like any major project like this would be, I'm sure there would be plenty of other thing that would eat up the dollars before the project is complete.

Some of the kits are far less expencive but there is a lot more skill need as they leave you to do most of the fabrication. That even includes cutting and welding the swingarm. If you feal okay with that, you can save about half the price of the kit.
  3. usahellas

usahellas New Member

I have read 150

I hope this link works. Here is a link to dunlop and Sporster 1200 custom from 96-2003. Recommended is of course the 130 but just as I have read in other articles a 150 should fit with the belt. It will be a TIGHT fit but should work.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=6

:cool:

In case you are wondering how I got here. I went over the fitment Guide. Just by the way I found this link in the Technical Articles of this forum. :eek:
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Upgrade to the new rubber mount sportsters if you can. I was at the dealer looking at the 05's and couldn't believe they put 180mm rear tires on them...looks cool. I'm hoping to get one for the wife when I'm done making payments on my Glide.
  5. usahellas

usahellas New Member

Hey Seahag I am not too sure but I do think that a new Sportster is going to cost just wee bit more than a new tire. :p In fact I think he can even get the 180 upragde kit for pre 2003 Sporty for less. :rolleyes:

Not sure, I could be wrong. :D LMAO
  6. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

It kind of sounded like Padsta just wanted to know how big a tire he can safely put on a stock Sportster..................without rebuilding the swingarm or buying a new bike.

I wouldn't go bigger than a 140 (MU). If you are having it mounted by a shop, then take their advice. If you want to get the fat tire look, there are lot's of kits available at all prices and quality.

Be safe!
  7. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I was just playing "devils advocate" in case he's been debating the issue himself...I could helped push him off the fence :D
  8. usahellas

usahellas New Member

Oh I get it

Hey Seahag my bad I think that I understand the logic now. Prices have been rounded off for easy math.

Kind of like saying either buy new tire for 100$, or Buy a new "FATA**" tire with rear fork for 1.000$ or Buy a New bike already fitted with that tire for about 10.000$ and save the "1.000$ for Chrome.
  9. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

In the 2002 models, HD started answering market demand for a wider tire. Up until that point, nearly all of their bikes had been equipped with a 130 rear tire, the exception that I can think of is the Deuce, which used a 160.

The first bikes to get the 150 were the 2002 Dynas. If I'm not mistaken, in 2004 all Softails and Sportsters were fitted with 150's also and the Touring rides came standard with a 140 rear.

Although the wider tires look better to most people and may provide for a little longer life, HD was slow in going wider. For one thing, re-tooling for a major mfg. like HD is expensive and not a wise investment based on the whim of a current fad. But, eventually they got the message that is what the customer wanted. But HD understands full well that changing the rear tire to a wider tread changes the geometry and ride of the bike, so they went about it reluctantly.

According to the HD website, the 2005 Sportsters come with a 150 rear tire. I don't know where Seahag saw a 180 tire on one, but I'll wager that it was done with an aftermarket kit. HD entered into an agreement last year to market the Thunder Mountain aftermarket custom bikes at some dealerships (or at least they allowed it). I've seen some of these wide tire setups at my local HD dealer and they look fantastic, but serious modifications have taken place to allow for the 180 tire to be installed.

I don't believe anyone is putting 180 tires on a stock Sportster. :)