1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

First 500 in

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jun 20, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I thought the N.A. bikes were produced here. Only the European and Asian market destined bikes are produced at the India plant. I'd rather see a N.A. product evolve if it must instead of fall to offshore competition. Do I like it coming to this? No. But it is better than the alternative, less money for RnD, less money for quality control, and eventually no profit margin for a legend. Victory will likely also follow the trend in a few years if H-D is succesful with this new bike line.
  3. FLHTbiker

All 500 and 750 bikes sold in USA and Canada are built at the Harley factory in Kansas. The European bikes will be built India. Has to do with import taxes and cost of each bike sold there. Don't blame Harley for building em in India for the Europe market. The factory in India was revamped for this and is pretty big.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

HD isn't an employee owned company, it's a public company, employees have stock I'm sure, probably a company stock purchase plan but the employees have no "ownership" stake.

The bikes being made in India are due to the laws in that country that force companies that want to sell there to build there, India is one of the fastest growing emerging economies, and it's a big motorcycle country, big twins are not good products for that area, way to expensive for now, HD needs to expand it's worldwide market, so it has everything to do with market expansion and corporate growth which equates to profits which means higher company value, which means more jobs here, more money in investors and employees pockets.

There is no loss of work here because of the laws (import tariff) india imposes.
  5. FLHTbiker

Isn't that pretty much what the article from Cycle- World I posted said.
  6. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

ok got some of that threw my thick skull . was not harley an employee owned company since 1982. since then it has gone public. with most of the shares being held by the employee
  7. hotroadking

LOL no big deal, I'd prefer they all be made here, but don't have a problem with US companies having locations outside the us for sale of products worldwide,

Its just not the same as 1950 in the world market and that genie is out of the bag, with regulations, high labor costs, litigation and the highest corporate tax rate in the world it's no wonder jobs and companies are fleeing the USA.
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I remember when a Harley 1200 was considered a big bike LOL. I've not ridden any of the REALLY big Harley's, but I've sat on them over at Tattoo's shop, grabbed the bars and balanced them. All the big names have been through his shop for repairs including the new Indians, and all of them felt like I was sitting on a refrigerator with an overstuffed sofa on ballon tires. Ye Gads!
  9. FLHTbiker

I sat on that new 500 and it felt like a real small bike, kind of like the ones I used to ride back in the 70's. I also remember back in the mid 60's when I had a 125cc Yamaha seeing my first Harley. I thought it was massive and thought to myself I could never ride a big bike like that. Now thinking the next Harley will be smaller in weight.
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I had that same impression when I had my first motorcycle, a Honda CB350 and saw a Sportster in a parking lot. I wanted one real bad and in about 2 years I finally bought a brand new '72 ironhead. $1800 if I remember right.
    I'd never ridden a Harley before and what a thrill it was getting on, starting it up and heading out on the highway. I've never forgotten the sound and feel of that bike. My shovel is very similar.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

They look like the perfect commuter bike or blasting about locally.
  12. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Will it get me burned at the stake to mention I looked at the Honda CBR500R as a possibility before I bought mine? Good commuter bike.
  13. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Anyone got a match??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  14. FLHTbiker

Nope, bought a new Honda 550 four in 1976, was a great bike and wished I still had it.
  15. hotroadking

had a 78 susie gs400 for a while..
  16. Fatboy128

I bought a new 76 CB750. Cool bike hated the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  17. Fatboy128

First Bike
    1st Bike 1976 001.jpg
  18. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

My first bike was an 1967 Italian 125cc motbecane. 2nd was a 1972 Yamaha 650 XS 3rd bike was a 1979 Suzuki GS750L,next a 1981 HD XLS Roadster, 1983 HD FLHS,1963 HD Pan, 1997 Buell, 1992 Kawasaki ninja(somebody gave it to me), next a 1998 Ultra w/ matching sidecar(anniversary edition), 2001 Ultra (shriners addition) and lastly 2012 HD Ultra and I may have one more bike left in me and it won't be anything but HD.