1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

first things first

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dcjle@bellsouth.net, Jul 27, 2004.

1. dcjle@bellsouth.net

dcjle@bellsouth.net New Member

Got a couple of 04 bikes (FLSTCI & FXDLI) and want to do some modifications to improve sound as well as performance; also considering costs. What we want to do is make the right changes first, leaving options for the right changes later. Looks like, from what we've read (the posts on mufflers, pipes, air cleaners, and EFI on board computers), the first things we should do is install Power Commander USB III's, and Air Sucker or SE breathers. Then, till we decide which pipes and/or mufflers we want, we can drill out the muffler baffles (7/8" ??) and run with this arrangement a while, doing a download after each of these changes of course.
    Is this a reasonable approach?
  2. CD

CD Guest

Bingo and give the gentleman his prize!

Great post! And, welcome to Bike Talk and thanks for doing your homework.

This is exactly the route I would recommend if things need to be done in steps. I would just recommend using the Ness Big Sucker for sure as it is a better design and you save $$$$ toward your exhaust.
    :D
  3. dcjle@bellsouth.net

dcjle@bellsouth.net New Member

first things first (again)

I failed to emphasize the question about how much to drill out the baffles; 7/8" is what I heard someone say, (I think). Is there a recommended size??
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

IMHO do not drill out the baffles on the pipes, you'll pick up nothing more than noise effectively killing the gains from the PC3r and the filters.

You could do this in "purchase" stages and install all at once to allow the budget and performance mods to co-exist. With two bikes it's twice the cost,

The other method would be to do one bike at a time, spreading the budget out, only issue is who's bike get's done first (hers right LOL)

You have a good plan, I would suggest Khrome Werks HP+ or Cycleshack slip ons for both bikes, as they are in the least cost muffler area compared to V&H full systems, and they sound and work really well.

I think you could get a set of KW's for under $200 shipped check on Direct parts for the costs.