1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

First trip on the Sporty

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by NeilP, Mar 22, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

neip sound's like you both had a good time on the run home thank's for shareing your trip , & the great pic's , how did you eat all the food & still ride ? :eek:
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I had velcro straps on the jacket and trousers. Once I got in to them I could pull them up tight to hold it all in ;)
  4. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Great sounding trip neil ..... whats in the tubes on the breakfast table?
  5. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Beautiful pics - Roads looked to be in great shape.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great job neil!!!!!!!!!!
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Mustard, sweet and savoury in the tubes.

Roads in general were in great shape, German the best, then the Austraian and Swiss, French at the lower end of the scale.
    just have to watch out for the tram lines in the towns, railway lines embedded in the road surface,
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a great trip.

I would imagine that the salt air on Jersey has something to
    do with the pitting, I have a buddy who rides up and down the coast and lives about a half mile if that off the Atlantic. Bike is stored outside, his chrome looks like crap from the sand and salt.

I would suggest you remove the chrome bits and powedercoat them black (or whatever color you want but black is the new chrome)

Sand or sand blast the part, and then powder coat each part, Eastwood products makes a great home powdercoating kit and all you'll need is an old oven to bake the part with...

Its called Eastwood Hotcoat Powdercoating Kit

That will fix your bad chrome issue.
  9. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Had been thinking along those lines too, but getting the powder coating done locally, but if the kit is available to buy, then I could always have a go myself

Cheers

Neil
  10. hotroadking

Well you kind of struck me as a DIY type

Plus you could use it for other farm implements...
  11. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Or I could just forget the whole thing, and get another bike. No I know the girlfriend enjoys going out on the bike, something bigger would be an idea.
    Everyone told me the Sporty was not going to be that comfortable, and it would be hard going without the screen, but I found neither of these things to be a problem.

I would be after a bigger bike more for the fuel capacity and baggage carrying ability, and not having the springs bottoming out all the time when I hit a bump.

Trouble is what to go for. If we are doing long distances again, it would be nice to have a full fairing to keep the legs a bit drier and also have a full pannier set, but the trouble is all the Harleys are so poorly equipped for the price when compared to all other bikes.
    Question is, do I want a bike because it is a Harley, or a bike to do a job...and that I do not know.
    I had never even looked at things like BMW before, but today went in to the local dealers on the way back form work, and had a hell of a shock at how cheap the BMW bikes are when compared to the Harleys, and how well spece'd they are. i always thought of BMW as mega expensive bikes, but oh no. I can get a new K1300GT SE, the top of the range tourer, with panniers and all the extras, heared seats and grips, electric adjustable suspension, adjustable fairings etc etc etc for a little under £14,000, in comparision a 2006 UltraGlide 1800 CVO for sale with 3000 miles on it in our local dealer is £16,000, so a hell of a lot less bike. Inkew Harleys were expensive,but never realised they would be more thatn twice the price of BMW bikes.

Would like a big Harley tourer for sure , but for so much less money I could get a bike that would be far more suitable for touring in Europe, and so much more useable for what I want.....trouble is I still want a Harley.

Confused as hell and totally fed up with the whole thing....which I had never looked at the BMW's and seen what I could get for my money
  12. chucktx

bmw's are very nice bikes, great tourers!
  13. chucktx

i have one of those and get great results......even sell some of my work...:) helps to defray the costs.......harbor freight sells powder coat powder and machines for half of eastwood. i have used their powders with good success, but havent used their machine.........
  14. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Wish you had not said that :(
  15. hotroadking

BMWs are great bikes, but you should sit on one and ride it before buying

See a lot of them over here, they are either 1) well used or 2) sit in a garage all the time

I'd expect BMW to be a bit less being European built.

You have the import taxes on HD...

If you are height challenged, sit on the LT, it's a very tall bike...

For long distance touring though it's hard to beat...

Also check into the maintenance schedule, and costs on the BMW they are not inexpensive.
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Good thing cardboard wasn't with ya - that breakfast would've done him in :roflmao: - Great pics - Next trip USA? bring yer bike and we'll hammer some roads for a week or two.:)
  17. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I was ging to ride a new one the other day from the dealer, but decided against it. I would be looking fir a used one anyway, and the only used ones they had were not what I was looking for.
    Height wise though, they are OK for me.

As regards the prices, I had been looking at the US Harley Website and comparing the US Dollar prices without any UK/ European import taxes. I live in jersey, which is not liable for UK or Europe taxes...although shipping would play a part.

The price of a new K1200 GT from BMW with all the add ons would be less than $21,500 US Dollars. Something similar from Harley with panniers and rear top box... Electra Glide Ultra...starts at $24,699...although the Road Glide is less, $19,000 you do then have to start adding the extra top box, changing the seats etc.

As regarding the servicing, yes BMW are expensive, but so again are Harley ...over here at least.

All irrelevant now any way, have decide to just stick with what I have and wait till something else comes along. a cheap bigger Harley...the girlfriend really likes the Harley, and does not actually like the look of the bigger ones Ultras etc and does not want me to get a BMW...so looks like the decision has been made.
  18. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Now that would be just great....think I would have to find a bike to hire or borrow though. Never been to the USA