1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fitting parts/tins

Discussion in 'Projects' started by cowboy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Been slowing fitting new tins on my older 94 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357969861.415271.jpg
    the front fender is off a FLHX street glide ,the rear I was told is off a fatboy , sticker in side it has a 05 year date , the taks I have are splite , I already test fitted them & set the stock one back on to afoid any damage to then, once the rear is fitted to my likeing & tins are off to paint I'll start pulling the top end & nose cone for some easy work & ev 27 cam
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Looking good be interesting to see the finished product. :D
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Rear fender definitely can be a Fatboy, shape is just like my '05. Keep the photos coming!
    Ps. I like that Tx plate on the wall "Y I POOR" funny!
  4. FLHTbiker

Couldn't see that. Have to get the surgery done on my other eye so I can get both eyes working together again. The front fender looks a little big but for keeping water off it should work well.:D
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You putting different gas tanks on??....The FXST tank is bigger than Heritage and Fatboy tanks...FXST & FXST/C tanks are 5gal and Heritage, Fatboy's and Softail Springers are 3.5gal....
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Errrrr, nope. My Fatboy is 5 gal.
  7. cowboy

Fatboy that plate came off a custom van we built years ago when all the lids still lived here we had 8, FLHT as for the front fender keeping the water from coming up is just one of the reasons I went with it , the second is looks , alot of custom baggers around here are putting the 21 in front wheel on for looks , so i went the other way , Lucifet yes different tanks I found a set of 5gal for $50 a few months back & yes my stock tanks are 5 gal as well , I was also told the older bikes where 3.5 gal on most except for the softail custom , I do need to check them out my stock tank right side has a vent nippel & the ones i bought does'nt evert thing else is the same , but if need be I can drill a small hole & weld a nipple in easy fix , as for the paint I was talking about can
    t seem to find it anywhere so still looking & have a second choise in mind (what mind I have left) :D
  8. Lucifer

I'm talking about the Evo split tanks,not the one piece TC ones....

cowboy as long as your gas cap is venting I don't think you need to worry about the nipple...I could be wrong but I think those vent nipples are plugged on the Evo tanks because they use venting gas caps
  9. cowboy

thanks lucifer ,i plan on checking into that before they go to paint , my tank has it & the hose/tube runs down under the seat & in front of the battery , don't know after that
  10. FLHTbiker

What color are you going to paint it Cowboy.
  11. cowboy

Not sure yet, I was thinking midnight purple ,But can't seem to find the right color of it like I want ,I talked to two different custom paint shops & there not sure , so A dark charcoal greywith some real fine red pin stripes is next on my list ,my son-in-laws cousin does pin striping by hand old school style ,& he's good seen him do some on son bike here in my garage & he likes all three of us son & my Daughter & myself so family discounts come my way :cool:
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ya need to find a set of headers so you can dump that crossover
    under yer legs and let more the Vtwin show...
  13. FLHTbiker

Need some headers so yea have one going down each side. That would look cool.
  14. cowboy

Ya , thats what I'va been looking at /for new is way out of my budget :banghead:, & & some of the ones I've seen on ebay or C list are over priced or beat to hell :eek:, But I have some time to look still fitting the rear fender to where I want it setting ,Then into the top end & cam chest
  15. FLHTbiker

What ever became of the ultra?
  16. cowboy

I sold it last summer , I took it out for a ride had a good time till I got cought in traffic ,legs could'nt keep the weight up on the stop & go , so better safe then sorry & ride my softail :cool:
  17. FLHTbiker

Yea, I don't blame you then.
    I like riding my Springer to as it is lighter weight and easier to handle.
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Cool project, Cowboy. Yeah, I think the charcoal grey & red pinstriping would look great.
  19. Lucifer

If there's a hose on it probably isn't plugged...the previous owner may have drilled it out....I'm going to check my Heritage tank,but as far as I remember the only hoses on it are the top vent hose that goes between the 2 tanks,just under the dash,the crossover fuel line and the fuel line itself...Pretty sure the vent nipple is there but plugged from the factory....
  20. cowboy

no the hose is not plugged & the nipple has factory paint on it , right side tank about 2-3 in behind the top cross over hose , been bust so have
    nt had time to check into at my indy shop