1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fitting parts/tins

Discussion in 'Projects' started by cowboy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yes he's been working on putting in a full machine shop the past few months , he has enough to custom build a trike frame among other things , on my axel spacers he has round stock & cut to size the bore the center out to my axel size
  2. cowboy

No up dates on my bike it's still setting like it was back in April , I do have a 94 spoked rear wheel on it's way & dumping the soild rear wheel , two of my brothers are bring Mom over from NM this weekend to spend a week & I go in next thur to get part of a toe removed , life is good here :banghead:
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Good idea on the spoked wheel. I personally hate solid wheels on bikes; don't know why they ever made them. Solid wheels oughta go on trucks, those tanks they call SUVs, and some cars, though I think spoked wheels on sports cars looks sexy.

Hope your toe operation goes well :(.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

changed the spoked rear wheel on my heritage out
    for a solid Street Glide Rear wheel, basically I was concerned the
    124 would rip the spokes out of the hub or wheel...
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I picked up a mag wheel from a FXR for the rear of my Softail,for a little of the same reason as HRK,but no where near the torque his spokes were taking...but with the mag wheel there was no more spoke re-tightening and if/when I got a flat it was just plug pump and go...no pulling a wheel off on the side of the road or trying to find a truck or trailer to get me home....
  6. joshbob

That's a good reason to shed the spoked wheel LOL. But then again, I've never heard of the spokes getting ripped out of the hub or wheel. Maybe at the drag strip. How hard do you ride, anyway? Dang. :roflmao:.
  7. cowboy

I thought about a set of mags , But around here I would have to make a bank loan even for a good used set :eek:& a 21 in mag is high dollar ,I have a 21 twisted spoke up front & going factory spoke out back , I did a good fit on the 05 fatboy rear fender then noticed after I took if back off there's no wire clips on the inside of the fender for rear lights , from the looks if it never had any , so now I'll have to fab some & tac weld them in place
  8. Lucifer

I just got the mag for the rear wheel,left the spokes up front,you almost never get a flat on the front...I just liked the idea of no more spoke maintenance on the rear or wallowing through a sweeper because a few spokes loosened and a quick fix for a flat....it's just preference for me and I rode that bike kinda hard...pretty sure most people only had to check spokes on tire changes,which is no big deal:)
  9. cowboy

well got my toe fixed yesterday, & now on happy pills ,I take a pill go to sleep & moma's happy , so any way I've been think of dumping the 21 in up front & going with a 16 , any thoughts ? & how hard will it be to swap over ,It's a wide glide style front end single disk
  10. joshbob

A 16" wheel sounds small to me unless you're using a gargantuan tire up front. I have a 19" wheel on mine and a 16" on the rear.

Glad to hear your toe is mending . . . happy pills do help things along . . . ;).
  11. Lucifer

A 16" is doable and not a difficult conversion....I've seen a few FX softails and Dyna Wide Glides with it done...looks good IMO...I never did one,but just a matter of a proper spacer to set end play and a new speedo drive for a 16" wheel instead of the 21"...
  12. cowboy

Josh after riding the E Glide for so long the 21 in up front seems a bit skinny , & the 16 held the road good ,Lucifer thanks for the info I never thought the speedo gear (mounted on the front wheel would have to be changed) spacers I had worked /thought would have to be changed , as for the happy pills good for a few days then they have to go can't think straight after taking them
  13. joshbob

Yeah, those 21" wheels are thin. Everybody liked them in the 70s because they gave the front end a less bulky, more streamlined look. I believe the one I ran on my ironhead was about 2 1/2" wide, maybe a bit more. But the 19" front wheel I'm running now has an Avon Speedmaster and is about 3 1/2" wide - just right for my application. You will get better traction with the wider tire on the 16" wheel . . .
  14. cowboy

ya my 21 is about 2-1/2 to 3 in just eye balling it , it works just fine even on tar snakes , just want a bit more meat up there , like the fatboy or heritage but with the skinner wide glide tubes & lower legs , my indy has a machine shop in his shop & he already said he can make me spacers , I just had to spend $1300 on my truck , just in parts , grand son & I did the labor , then had to pay some bucks up front for toe surgery , ,The insurance should repay us that , then My bike engine is on top of the list (my list) not Honey do list :eek:
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JB rode around a lot on that bike put over 70K on it,
    and when you have the 124 power, it would be a shame not
    to crack the throttle whenever the lights turn green...