1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Flanders Bars

Discussion in 'Projects' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 30, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The wifes trike has wide Wild one bars on it. There 36 inch and her poor arms just can't reach them. She has been having to ride with her hands up as far by the controls as she can get. I ordered a set of Flanders 1 inch bars that are narrower 31 inch like stock bars but 2 inch higher and 2 inch further back. The other bars are wired internally and will have to do the same. Doing the wiring is no problem but what kind of lube is a good lube when pulling the wires through?
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I believe that electricians use a lube when they have to pull wires thru conduit probably available at an electrical supply store. Maybe even home depot.
    Where did you get the new bars? How high of a rise do they have
  3. Quiet Storm

Quiet Storm New Member

If you can't find the electrical lube, I think KY Jelly would do the trick. Just save a little for later.
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

liquid soap, do not use petro based lubes, dielectric grease, oring lude,
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

electrical supply houses have the lube......as do electrical contractors. ya may be able to get a bit from one, as the supply houses sell it by the quart.......just a thought.
  6. FLHTbiker

Got them from Flanders in Calif. or I should say there in the mail :D, they are only 10 inch high as she is just a little gal, now that she lost 50 pounds. Yea, I told her you loose any more all I'm going to see of you is blowing by in the wind. The bars are approx. 10 inch high 31 1/2 wide and have a 2 inch more pull back than stock. Should make that trike just right.

Got the spots wired in today to stay on when the brights are on, did mine at the same time. Got the garage door opener installed on her bike. Just waiting on the bars to get here.
  7. chucktx

i suppose your camera is broken...........:gah:
  8. FLHTbiker

When I get the bars and wired in I will get a photo of them and the bike.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

oh come on we like to see people hard at work :D
  10. chucktx

projects= work in progress...........or you sweating your but off and learnin the little woman new words!!!!!! lol lol
  11. FLHTbiker

She not complaining, It's pouring down rain out there and she don't ride in the rain. Now if the weather turns good and it ain't all done then I'm In a world of hurt and will be fixing my own dinners. :D
  12. FLHTbiker

Here area couple of pic's of the project. Still have not received the bars from UPS yet. The small panel is where the wiring alterations for the spots to stay on when the brights are on.
    Lot of work just to change bars. The previous owner used the red butt splice connectors to crimp the wires together. I'm thinking solder and heat shrink after I pull the wires through the bars. We bought the heat demons so gotta run those wires to.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  13. chucktx

great pics!!!! thanks!
  14. FLHTbiker

Got the bars in last night and going to have to enlarge the center hole so better get the die grinder out. The center hole is the same size as each side, not big enough for both wire looms.

Got some small metal butt connectors from a friend who owns a auto repair shop. He also gave me a stick (3 foot) of heat shrink. This heat shrink has a glue like substance in it and when you shrink it down it oozes out the ends and seals it so no air or moisture can get in.
  15. FLHTbiker

Enlarged the center hole then sanded off taking the rough edges out. Installed the heat demons in the bars. There crimps they provide suck. After installing them it wouldn't turn on so after trouble shooting the wires to find which crimp was bad, turns out 3 were no good, cheap material. Cut em off and soldered then heat shrinked them together, works now.
    Got one wire loom installed up the left side through the bar. Lots of work, will finish the new bars tomorrow and should be more comfortable for the wife.
  16. chucktx

when you enlarged the hole, you elongated it? making it bigger in dia. may weaken the bar....jmo.........
  17. FLHTbiker

The Center opening is clamped on each side and I didn't open it up much larger than it was but had to make the opening bigger to allow both wire looms and the heat Demon wires through the opening. The side openings were left stock.