1. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

FLH Solenoid

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by KPSHOVELHEAD, Aug 11, 2019.

1. KPSHOVELHEAD

KPSHOVELHEAD New Member

I got a 1983 FLH Shovelhead and having problems with the starter. When I check the voltage at the solenoid on the battery lead I have 12v, and when I disconnect the small lead from switch I have 12v on that wire, but when I put the small wire back on solenoid, I only get about 8v on small wire and wire going to starter, but still have 12v on the battery lead on solenoid. Could it be a bad solenoid?
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

OK, 2 disclaimers: I'm not a shovelhead guy, and I'm not sure I understand all your wire references. You also haven't wrote what your symptoms are - is it a weak starter turning; no starter turn; clicking solenoid or no clicking? Or something else?
    That said - have you bypassed the solenoid and gone straight to the starter with 12vdc? It isn't that hard to do, and will tell you whether a starter is or isn't the problem. I can't be sure from here, but it may be one of your windings failed on the starter, giving a weak start symptom. The 8vdc made me suspect that.

Good luck & let us know what you learn
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Could be, could also be a bad starter switch in the bars, Like Red said
    run a wire from the pos cable at the battery directly to the solenoid where
    you normally connect the starter wire. Be sure it's in N or it will not be fun
    if the bike takes off across the room...

See if it starts and the starter turns fine, if so, look up the wires to the switch
    in the bars and to the ignition, you'll have to trace back using a multi meter..

If the starter has problems just replace with a stock HD starter...
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Starter gear not even engaging?
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is tough for us to help without complete symptoms, which is a BIG TIP for anyone asking for help on this forum - or any other, for that matter!:banghead A thorough description here can lead to a whole lot less headache in the garage.