1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

flhtcui running rich after mufflers installed

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ffflhtcui, May 28, 2004.

1. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

:D On a 2004 Flhtcui Electraglide I installed the Screaming Eagle slash down mufflers. Bike runs pretty good without re-mapping, a little popping on deceleration. Plug tests indicate small amount of richness. I suspect that if I install Screaming Eagle or Big Sucker breather kit, I will need to install a Power Commander. I don't really want to go to the extra expense. I'm wondering if just replacing the filter element with a K & N filter will eliminate the richness and also eliminate the need for re-mapping.

Any experience or comments on this subject? All comments are appreciated.
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I have been a true believer in getting the most performance out of any accessorie that is installed on a bike. The bike is probably running fine with the after market exhaust, and after you install the after market breather kit I would suggest having the bike re-mapped to get the best out of the parts. I know it may run a bit of extra money but once the in-board computer is set up to the new exhaust and breather kit, I think you will find the bike to run without flaw. Ride Safe David.
  3. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Thanks for your reply, Fatboy. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I go ahead and install either the Big Sucker or SE breather kit and then let the Harley dealer re-map as opposed to installing a Power Commander. Is the Harley dealer only limited to certain mapping, such as Stage 1? Or, could he accomodate the Big Sucker kit also? Is the Big Sucker kit essentially the same as the SE breather?

Thanks!
  4. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

The thing to keep in mind is that alot of people think that if they install a velo-air cleaner, hyper charger, twin velocity, etc. that they will put more air into the carb to get more power, this is not the case. If you put on an expensive air cleaner the carburator will only take in so much air, you can never force air into the carb the motor will only pull in the air needed at any given time. I have had good luck with the SE air cleaner assembly, with the K&N air filter. Now, the power comander is a great item to have to get the ignition system to do what you want it to do. I have had Crane Fire Ball Hi-4E ignition systems and they work great, with the units you can set the timing by advancing or retarding, advance the curves, set a top rpm revlimiter. If I was to tell you which of the 2 will give you the best performance it would be the power commander or Crane Ignition system verses the big sucker or SE air cleaner. If you have the money and want to see some great dyno's do both. Keep in mind that you should re-map if you do any of the suggested above items to get the most out of your new accessories. Ride Safe David.