1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Food for thought

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by CD, Jul 19, 2004.

1. CD

CD Guest

Do you think the Internet is safe from overzealous states wanting taxes? Think again.

Literally every state is pushing to get a slice of taxes from your purchases. Many states want to make it a dual tax where you pay taxes on both your state and the state the sale is made in. If you want to keep the Internet free from the states manipulation contact your representatives and tell them to keep their hands off. It amazes me that some states actually believe that when a resident makes a purchase in another state, they owe their home state taxes. I read of a court case not long ago where the state was suing an individual for taxes on a new car he bought and registered out of state. What amazes me further is how we go along letting governments get bigger and taxes higher without any improvement in services. Should the states get their way, you could be paying sales taxes for the state, county and city for your purchases. Retailers like us would be taxed for services not rendered with no representation in that state. Gee, didn't we have a revolution over something like that? Fight back! Tell your representatives to keep their hands off the Internet until ALL states create an equitable and fair solution.

http://www.bizsites.com/Toolkit/ITNnettax.html :mad:

2. Goose

Goose New Member

Out of state sales should only be regulated by the federal government, interstate commerce clause in the constitution. I cannot understand how anyone could think this state taxation scheme could in any way be constitutional. But, politicians never seem to let the constitution get in the way of government control or taxation. :rolleyes:
  3. SK

SK New Member

When I bought my new motorcycle out of state (Wyoming), I didn't pay taxes. But when I registered it in Nevada, I paid them there. If I had paid them in Wyoming, then I would've only owed Nevada taxes if the Wyoming taxes were less than Nevada's. I opted this way as I'd rather pay taxes to my home state than the out of state one.

When it comes to the internet, they ought to leave it alone. Interstate commerce is growing by leaps and bounds..which is great for the economy..why screw with that? Double taxation..it'll never happen. That'd bring interstate commerce on the net to a screaching halt.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

We right now in your state there probably is a law that says regardless of how or where you purchase items you are responsible for the taxes, you can even order forms to report the sale and pay the sales tax. However nobody does it, what you have to watch out for is when a state that has this law, like FL sues an out of state company for the list of all purchasers in the state of FL so it can go after them for the sales tax money.

It would be expensive though to do this on most small items. To chase Tom Smith for $5 in taxes on a $71 purchase would cost $100's or $1000's of dollars in man power that's why it doesn't happen IMHO.

However, if they insitute a fine program of say $100 per incident and they get an electronic tape from Joes Online Parts company they'd only have to send collection letters. JMHO.

So you probably do owe taxes in your own state, but inforcement is the issue.

Worked in a nationwide retail order company, our accountant mr. ultra conservative wanted us to start collecting taxes on out of state purchases and remitting them, I argued against it because 1) it's not required we're not governed by those states 2) Federal law already prohibits it 3) Don't want to be a ring leader of the movement, this was back in the late 80s'