1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front half is done...

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Wideglide85, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Spent the last month or two out in the shed with my bike, and here's what I came up with so far... New handlebars, powdercoated front wheel, new front tire, new bearings in the hub and the steering neck, rebuilt the dash with sheet brass and a newfangled speedometer, l.e.d. idiot lights, turned a bunch of brass parts on the lathe and made a new ignition cover on the milling machine at work, redid a bunch of wiring, I already had the clearcoated tanks & rear fender so I decided to put them back on (I'll do the back one when I tear the rest of the bike down) made a backing plate for my S&S air cleaner to fit the CV. The brass shifter pegs have 1936 Indian head nickels pressed into the ends. I'll be starting on the back half as soon as the weather gets crappy again. 0119141337.jpg 0119141340.jpg backing plate.jpg front rim.jpg all balls.jpg ftw.jpg shifter.jpg 0108141854.jpg tore down.jpg

tore down.jpg 0119141338.jpg
    0119141337.jpg 0108141854.jpg 0119141340.jpg backing plate.jpg front rim.jpg all balls.jpg ftw.jpg shifter.jpg
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

wow looks good so far , Like the dash cover slow, fast, oh ship LOL that's good , also like the Brass shifter pegs & rear shifter a + with your floor boards , How tall are your new bars ? look good on there for got about the new backing plate s7s style on a CV cool
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Oh man, it's great to see another hand built bike on our forum. Very, very nice work Wideglide. Slow - fast - oh sh*t - oh yeah!
  4. Wideglide85

I'm gonna make a set of brass gas caps, and an oil cooler/filter mount too. I did a practice gas cap out of aluminum scrap and it turned out ok. The bars are RSD Vintage 12", they feel a little better than the 16" apehangers that were on it. That's the only shiny designer crap I'm ever gonna buy for my bike. Thanks for the compliments you guys!
  5. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Nice work, I like the brass look.
  6. joshbob

It doesn't hurt that you're a machinist and can make just about anything you want. Yeah, the brass stuff is really cool.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice like the brass touches and the raw metal on the bike...
  8. Wideglide85

The dash cover needs more work, I think it looks too plain & flat. I'll come up with something. I'm not really a machinist yet, more like a maintenance guy with cool toys to play with once in a while. The real machinists all retired so there's nobody there to teach me, but I learn pretty quick on my own sometimes.
  9. hotroadking

10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nice work, very nice. Like all the metal work and brass touches as well. Like I said very nice.
  11. joshbob

I like the industrial look of the dash. The lettering looks stamped - maybe some black paint in the letters so they are more legible. Just an idea. In my woodshop classes, I show the kids how to fill in letters with stain or paint that they have routed in their box lids. Then run the lid over the belt sander and the letters come out having very crisp edges.
  12. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

That looks pretty cool, your very lucky to have access to the equipment, wish I could fab up some stuff to make mine more "mine". Maybe a little beveling of the edges on the dash plate to take away the plainness you mention once you become more familiar with the machinist tools, but the air cleaner plate looks awesome. Keep posting pics as it comes along and throw some completed ones in the Showcase.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

WG85 ,I noticed on your cross over pipe , looks like a pipe fitting , How or what did you do there , I took my cross over off do to leaks there & it looks better
  14. hotroadking

the dash is neat but the screws look like an afterthought,
    and they draw attention away from the other cool stuff like
    the engraving, agree with josh find a way to fill the engraving with
    a paint color like black, it should be easy to do...

Come up with some other fastener then the screws
    and it might look even better but again that's JMO...
  15. Wideglide85

I also have to make a ring about 3/4" thick to raise the speedometer up, there's not quite enough room behind it for wiring and connectors. I found some heavy-wall aluminum pipe that should work fine. I still have a couple months to refine everything before it gets warm out, I just got impatient and had to show it off. :)
    Cowboy, that's just the stock chrome clamp on the crossover tube. I plan on putting the 2 into 1 fishtail pipe back on before I'm done. It sounds better and looks way cooler.
  16. hotroadking

Its nice I like the work...
  17. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Does FTW mean Fuk The Weather?
  18. hotroadking

well if you live above the mason dixon line I'm betting it does...
  19. Wideglide85

This time of year it does. :) Rode to work yesterday and I'm riding today, but that's probably about it for a while. Mother Nature is teasing me.
  20. joshbob

Yeah, it still looks mighty cold up there. We are having some relief from the cold here. Today it should hit 70 - way higher than normal. I really like how your scoot is coming along.