1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front Rotors Replacement

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

OK, I finally broke down and got new rotor discs for my '99 FLHR, Ol' Red. This is the simple kind of job that I:

A. Do and everything is great and I wonder why I ever worried....
    or
    B. FUBAR and curse any initiative I may have to fix anything for years to come.

So, the question is, what is there NOT mentioned in the manual that may bite my posterior and end up with Result B? Anything I should be mindful of?

Feel free to school me now, before I get to it (it is well over 100f degrees in my garage now, and likely will be for a few days).
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Getting the bolts loose may require a breaker bar over a standard socket wrench. They are locktited.

You will need locktite to use old bolts

New bolts come with dry locktite on them

Bolt down with torque wrench to spec

You will have to remove calipers for the wheel to clear them I remove and hang over engine guard

Only loosen the two lower nuts on the right side of wheel and don't over tighten when you do tighten do a little on each to bring up smooth. do not tighten them until the last step

Put anti seize on inside of wheel bearings. Lightly on axel slip in axel be sure spacers are in there first then when through tighten big nut to set axel then tighten two nuts on clamp

Reinstall calipers and do not touch brake lever ever until everything is back together that way pads won't compress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

+1 IN ADDITION!!! The new rotors are probably a bit wider than the old ones. You may have to spread the brake pads (compress the caliper pistons) in order for fitment of the caliper over the new rotors.
  4. Red Rider

Thanks! Just the kind of tips I was looking for...and not mentioned in the manual. Breaker bar info is key, as I am always concerned about how much force to use, and being prepared to compress the pistons is, too. Again, not in the manual....thanks loads!
  5. Red Rider

Can ya friggin believe it.......during the rotor replacement, one of the right side slider cap studs on the front fork BROKE off:eek:. Guess I'm stronger than I thought...or just plain unlucky:banghead. NAPA had the stud, so I did get it repaired & all is well. Test drive/post-test inspection is perfect and I like the look of the newer discs, too. Maybe the best part, though, was having the right disc off and confirming just how warped it was (about a centimeter from true) and at least not feeling like I replaced a working part.:cigar:
    Lucifer and Fatboy128 like this.
  6. Red Rider

Oh, forgot to mention - no new bolts came with the discs! :wtf:. Good thing I had the red Loc-Tite on hand.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I replaced my front rotor with w Harley Floating rotor, it didn't come with bolts either.