1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

FXDCI idle

Discussion in 'Using this forum - Help and Feedback' started by PDbear, May 27, 2018.

1. PDbear

PDbear New Member

I want to reduce the idle speed on my 2006 FXDCI. its an 88 cube and first of the fuel injected series. I have been told that dropping the idle down will cause several problems and some of them may be fatal. Does anyone have any experience or factual evidence of engine failure due to low idle? Expert opinions and constructive advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don’t go too low it can result in low oil pressure which means you could starve the top end of oil

Also if it’s efi that’s not as simple as turning down an idle screw on a carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  3. PDbear

PDbear New Member

thanks. Yep oil is my concern. I am also looking for suggestions and experiences there. I have a screamin eagle super pro tuner and will be using that to adjust fuel and timing and idle once my custom pipes are finished and fitted. I am just looking ahead as to what can be done. This is my first late model Harley, and it is way different to the good old 74 cube (which I knew and luvved) :)
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yep, the new twin cams have oil passages that are small, they require the pump to move at a minimum rpm in order to keep pressure up, under the pistons there are cooling jets, oil is sent up to cool the bottom of the pistons, the TC is a completely different animal than the Shovel, and not having a carb you won't be able to get that lumpity lumpity sound with it, without compromising something

I get why you like the sound and you'll be able to drop the idle with the ECM programmer, it's just not a great idea, there are also some weak links in the TC
    The main one is the lifters- if you haven't done so, get a set of SNS lifter and swap them into the bike, HD lifters are prone to go out. If you want a better sounding idle, drop in a bobby woods high lift cam, as long as you like valve train ticking with it LOL...
  5. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

If you purchase a Power Vision or similar tuning device you can adjust your idle but you should not go below 900 for oil pressure problems as HRK mentioned.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk