1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gently??

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by Yachtman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Hello!

I've installed the deluxe kit today and also the E-Z screw, but I'm having concerns with the depth the ez screw should be going in. The first time I, as the new owner, have ever tried to reset the idle mixture was a few weeks ago and on the first try the screw went all the way in to what felt like a dead stop. I followed various posts and directions regarding how to do this. They all say not to screw it in too far. Only till it feels like it's gently seated. But even though I was using this info, and a soft hand, it still went to dead stop, or so it felt. So this is my issue. (obviously it's my first time fooling with a carb in a wayyyyyy long time!) I've installed the new ez and I'm affraid to screw it in too far. On the first try, I know it wasn't in far enough because if I backed it out 4 turns, it wobbled in the threads. And even though it probably wouldn't ever need this type of adjustment....... So I tried it again a little further and it went in further so I'll assume that since it's a new screw in the old threads, it is probably going to take a more effort.
    So here I stand, or sit, affraid that I might be pushing to hard. Can someone please offer advise. (And maybe some thoughts on why the original went in to the dead end?) I'd like to reinstall this carb tomorrow, Weds, morning!
    Thanks,
    Robert
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

look in the hole to see if there is any blockage. the ez screw has a point on it, is there some trash in the bottom of the hole? did you clean the carb? it should screw in with some resistance as the spring will be doing its job. the screw will stop when it hits bottom. hope this helps........
  3. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Chuck,
    Thanks for the reply. Cleaned the carb and nothing in the hole. Are you screwing the ez 'all' the way in to seat it? I'm having trouble with the 'gently/seat' verbage. Do you have one, and if so, how much threads do you see remaining between the knob and the carb body? Will the needle expose itself through the hole when correct, or should I not see it?
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering, is the spring installed with the screw? Mine adjusts in and at a slow turn it will gently seat. Then I back it out to the correct setting. Mine is 2 3/4 turns out.
  5. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Yup! The 'o' ring, washer, spring and then screw.

Does 'gently seat' mean to go to a dead stop? Or, at 'gently seat' is there any thread showing between the carb body and the ez knob? Should the spring be compressed all the way?

My problem is that I don't think it's in far enough, but I'm scared to screw it in too tight!! (boy this sounds bizarre, no?) What does 'gently seated' feel like FLHT. Would it still go further if you wanted it to?
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would not force it, when at the end you should start feeling resistance, and then when it stops without forcing it your at the end. Take the carb off and look at how far its going in. I'm going to ask a question but don't take it the wrong way and that is, you did get the jet installed? :)
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Try this:
    Remove the EZ-Just including the spring, washer, and o-ring. Check to make sure that there wasn't a previous o-ring installed that is jammed inside the bore.

Reinstall the EZ-Just without the spring/washer/o-ring. Screw it in until it seats and then inspect if the needle tip is slightly protruding into the rear throat. It may be too slight to see but you can feel it.

Granted you need to remove the carb to do this but you'll then know for sure how far in it threads to seat. When fully screwed in there should only be a couple threads showing.

Once you determine how far in it takes to seat, remove the EZ-Just and reinstall with the packing (spring, washer, o-ring).
  8. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

FLHT, yes the jets are installed! I didn't take it the wrong way. I appreciate the help.

The carb is still on the workbench. I was falling asleep at my computer last night.

My latest fear is that I harmed the diaphragm while spraying carb cleaner on the outside of the carb, linkages and etc. I hope it doesn't harm the diaphragm. Does anyone know if it will hurt it?

Now if I could just get the left side manifold bolts loose to install new gaskets, I'll be wonderful. How do you get them loose or off. Any tricks? Please?!

Thanks again for the help!

Robert
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Ken,

I think I'm getting close. Other than spraying carb cleaner and accidently getting it on the diaphragm............. well! Damage??

When the ez is seated, I'm getting a little bit of the needle coming through the hole. Is this correct?

My feeling of 'seated' being off is from the feeling of the spring getting to just the point of being pre-compressed. So if I get it right, the spring should be fully compressed?? Therefore, going any further could cause damage? I didn't check the old needle for coming through the hole before putting it back together, so tomorrow I'll take the ez out and try the old one again.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You are over thinking it...

When we say "Lightly Seat" we mean when it stops, and tighten the screw gently not with the full force you'd use to put a screw into a 2 x 4, just turn it until it stops using a light turning pressure, when it stops, you stop turning, don't go any farther...

That is just a way to determine the base for adjusting the screw.

Once you seat it turn it out backwards 2.5 turns and then ride the bike...
  11. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Hot RK, thanks. That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to be sure that someone experienced would do the same.
    Thanks again,
    Robert