1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Getting Further Into Engine Building

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 13, 2018.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Today was such a fun day! Not only was it Mothers Day and I spent a good portion of it with Hot Rider, but I also spent a good amount of time in my garage incrementally getting further into learning how to really build an engine. As mentioned in a different thread I did a top end and cam change for a friend with all the work except the major machining done by me. After that job I was left unsatisfied in the way that it just wasn't precise enough for me. So, I made a decision to learn how to do the things that it takes to build an engine how I think that one should be built.

The first step that I chose was how to polish an intake manifold. This may sound easy but I will say that even though it may sound simple, it isn't. It takes a lot of time and patience and the right tools which I can thank BaggerPaul and my wife for helping me out in that category. And yes, BaggerPaul is ever so gracious to bestow his knowledge to me. As of now I am about 66% done with the second stage of polishing the intake. I still have a lot to learn with this process but I am enjoying every minute of it.
    Red Rider likes this.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

keep up the good work it gets easier as your learn to use your abrasives! and what works for the porter
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's an art form no doubt
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  4. JohnnyBiker

Absolutely. However I do think that I want to do it your your way then see if I am comfortable with it. So far all is ok, just need to get the feel for the tool and pressure needed.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

When do you think he'll be able to snatch the pebble from your hand?
  6. baggerpaul

Ah wise one ! Takes long time to snatch pebble from master of petrol power ! One must have sniffed many of day and night 110 octane fuel and many years of compressor rumble .also not yet qualified till a set of rods hanging out the side of block and tears of **** up have introduced failure have come.then one can learn to snatch pebble from master ! Lol
  7. JohnnyBiker

I will never be as good as BaggerPaul but I do think that it is something to strive for. At least there will be someone around these parts that gives a crap about doing it the right way..:cool:
  8. baggerpaul

Never say never we might find you late at night sniffing 110 fuel with rods hanging from the block in tears ! Lol
  9. baggerpaul

Honestly I truly believe that we as wrenches become sure in our trade .when we dump a shot load of money in a motor come up with a killer combination it runs like a champ for like 10 passes and grenades lol.and we look at it as a learning experience and perfect it till it stays together longer .its what separates the good shops from the bad .been at it for years now and I still learn every day I'm just glad I had greybeards to grow up with .
  10. JohnnyBiker

That is a possibility.:arghh: