1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Global Positioning System

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 29, 2012.

1. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Was about to reply,But gonna pass. 'Gtta run. Have an early PGR mission. Hope I find the cemetary.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

When I'm on the scooter, I am in no rush. Don't care about how fast my "boots" are or how soon I can get there. It's a beautiful thing! JMO
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We got a nice home and good bikes a garage for the wife's car and a shop for my toys. :) GPS came with my bike and I use it sometimes, handy tool at times. Why argue who has the best GPS use it if you like or use a map. I carry the Harley map also I get every year with my national HOG membership and they are great.
    The one thing I really like about my Harley GPS is it talks to you through your headset so you can hear the dang thing when going down the road. Sitting in a car and listening to one is one thing but out there on the bike with all the wind noise is another. I think the Harley GPS units are expensive but I think they are worth the price. JMHO :D
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

On the ram mount that came with my unit
    I can run a cord from the mount to the front input and the directions come our the radio speakers
    Or I can Bluetooth it to my sena SMH headset

It takes some time to get used to using a GPS
    You just don't turn em on and go
    I used to use the computer and run a route and download it to a smart card and stick it in my unit
    Don't remember where I put everything
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep, but you can do the same with the others by simply plugging them in through the AUX jack on the front of the radio, or get a booteef and play it that way...

the nice thing about the HD system is it's integrated, but that also makes it complicated, you have the GPS, the NIM (Nav Interface Mod) and the HK, add the CB, Intercom and an Ipod and you have a recipe for issues.

When using the GPS with the IPOD and CB my Nim will not release the GPS command connection when it's done, you will cover over a 1/4 mile before the thing will release and give you back control of the head unit.

I have to take it in to HD for replacement of the NIM (btw this is a highly common issue) on the cvo didn't do it for a while so keep an eye on it. Seems to do it most with the Ipod, and FWIW with the ipod over half the time when I start the bike back up it won't play the song, even though it shows. I have to turn off shuffle, flip the change track button once or twice then it reconnects.

Clearly there are issues, so I just wanted JB to know there are easier, faster cheaper ways to get to where he wants to go without dropping a grand for a simple GPS and interface..

BTW

$99 Garmin 1450, 5 inch screen lifetime maps,

[​IMG]
  6. cardboard

Use what you want
    Just see a lot of folks say they wished they had of spent the money and got a better unit
    Think that City Slicker Chucktx NASA handheld gps of mine that was a old spare for fishin and hikin
    Wonder if he ever learned how to use it
    Oh yea I had some secret fishin spots saved on it from at least 8 yrs ago
    Hope he don't go and dredge my holes
  7. hotroadking

8. cardboard

Here ya go with those big words again
    I don't do nim
  9. hotroadking

NIM is though a part of what JB is looking at with the whole HD GEE PEE ESS system
    and the NIM is an issue (it's a box that listens for the GPS to signal it wants to talk and when it's done the NIM should release and return the HK to normal), working it's great,

You can play radio, have CB running, turn on Intercom, or Ipod or CD, GPS interrupts tells you where to go, or where you're going and then should return you to normal programming LOL

NIM doesn't always do that... Also my LCD screen started going out on the HK on my weekend trip so it's got to hit the dealer... PIA...

Your Zumo is hooked up the same way JB hooked his up, FL and I have the super duper HD fancy schmancy GPS system, more to go wrong, but there's more you can do.

It's all about what you want to achieve.

If JB can get a zumo 550 or 650 (includes weather) and run the wire to the radio
    he'd have a good setup,

Now all you need to do with the GPS and Blooteef is add the bomm and
    you can take and make cell calls from your blooteef headset.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=f&rct=...NaejhqKeQ]HD Bomm Blooteef Cellular Interface

BTW talked with JM at Daytona they have a blooteef headset for HD that is in the works
    eliminates the cord to the dash, plugs in under the seat and everything is blooteefed'

And here it is in all it's $599.95 Glory

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFBR-HRUC
  10. FLHTbiker

The new Screaming Eagle the nim is built in. Has a connection at the right saddle bag. Works really well with CB, GPS. I can adjust it all from the dash of the bike. I usually set it for Random and I never hear the same some twice when riding. Got a lot of songs on it now. :D
    HRK you need to upgrade now to a 12 or a 13 SE :)
  11. hotroadking

Yeah my 11 has the same, does the same all adjusted from the controls or dash, but
    from time to time it just has a mind of it's own.

Waiting on the 13 to see what comes in CVO RG land and color options....

Got 14000 on the 11, it's just now a year old,
  12. FLHTbiker

Yea but the 12 has it where you plug in your nim in the pouch on the right saddle bag and leave it there. Charges it and when you want to listen to it just push the appropriate button on the dash. Only time you need to unplug it would be to add more music. You can walk away and it's locked in the saddle bag but ready to use when you want it. It also functions as a I-phone I-pad charger. :D
  13. hotroadking

I think you are cornfused..

The iPod goes in the pouch, I have that, right saddle bag and you run it
    from the controls. The iPod isnt' the problem, its in the NIM which is the "switch" between the GPS and HK head unit.

Lots of reports of bad NIM's on the bikes.

The NIM is the Navigation Interface Module, it's under your faring and it's bolted to the
    side of the radio, it's the controller for input/output to the radio from the GPS, the HD Zumo GPS have a special code in them to signal it. If you get a non HD Zumo the NIM can't understand it and FWIU the NIM won't work.
  14. cardboard

I can either use a bluetooth device plugged into my CB plug and bluetooth it to my sena headset. Or listen to my Iphone music. or bluettooth my Zumo 550 into the sena headset.
    I can't bluetooth all of it.

And i called the Bomm folks and they said it ain't for what I was trying to use it for.
  15. hotroadking

The JM will let you use it for everything GPS, Iphone, Ipad,
    radio, whatever.. Just 6 bills,
  16. cardboard

Got two Bluetooth Sena SMH10 from eastern performance for 250.00 last year.
    Both the OL and I have one.
    CAn't see giving John 6 bills for it. Sorry

just like I cAN't see buying his amp and speakers when you can git the Rockford Fosgate 300-4 for 200.00
  17. hotroadking

I agree. When I talked to him we made Sounds of interest and told buddy it would be $499 or more lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. cardboard

He tried to show it to me at the Texas Lonestar rally
    I asked how much , he gave me a price and I laughed and walked off
    The price is just too much......................
  19. FLHTbiker

OK, I was think you were referring to the nano, which plugs into the connector at the right saddle bag.
    All the more reason for you to upgrade to a 12 or 13 SE.
  20. cardboard

There is a plug on the Ultra in the console Redneck that you plug a headset into.
    You can git a plug to plug in there