1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Go West My Son!

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 3, 2013.

1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

If you make it to Denver let me know and I'll meet you. Depending on when you're passing through I maybe able to ride a ways west with you.
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

It does make a big difference keeping family and friends close, JB, the older you get. And it creeps up on you quicker than you think! Not much family left, but I have old friends scattered all over the country, mostly on the west coast. I'd really love to attempt to see them one last time on an epic cruise on my shovel, but I'm afraid that will never happen.

The ol' back gets worse with every passing year and responsibilities here I can't just drop like in the good old days when I was "free". So, email, snail mail and telephones will have to do. But I count my blessings that I'm able to ride at all :).
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I think that I may have to go and see him. He is my first cousin but is older than me by like 11 years. He was one of 11 kids so there are a lot of relatives that I don't know. Him and I always got a long really well. JohnnyBiker is getting soft in his old age.. LOL
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Really....

They don't want to say it. But yer gettin so , so soft, they are gonna start calling you..

Candy Ass....;)

But I didn't say that.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'd be glad if you made it down through Denver, as if I ride out to meet you I'd rather it was in CO or UT than Wyoming. Not that WY is a bad place, , but the part on I-80 is not the most scenic, especially after seeing it a few times. Evanston is worth another trip, sometime, but I'd rather it be later than sooner.

I'm a fan of the rear crashbar bag - I use that for my rinsing down water on long, hot runs. Camelback is handier for drinking, but ya have to spit it out on yerself to get wet. Done it, but it ain't the best way. Blowback in the face is not as pleasant! My trick with the crashbar bag is to get and reuse one of those Gatorade bottles with the big twist-to-open, cuz then I only have to bite and twist to get the water - keeping one hand on the throttle/brake. That is an open road straight-away move, but many roads are.

Getting real close to your SD test run. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

:cheers:

P.S. Note that people who call folk candy ass probably have a too-weird fondness for sweets!:roflmao:
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  6. cardboard

You need to git one of those water bags you put on yerself to keep cool..
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

And if ya get a chance to meet up with HarleysLR, alex the dog, HOT01 or ironhorse, then do it. All fine and interesting folk. But if the weather chases you down I-45, stay in the saddle between Dallas and Houston. Some weird folk down that way!:D They might just wanna kiss anything they think is sweet!:roflmao:
  8. JohnnyBiker

I will do that DW. After seeing my cousin in such a way sooner than what I thought I would, I have decided that I do need to stop and see him. I will be in touch to see if we can coordinate a meet. I sure do think that It would be cool if the Colorado boys and I could meet up. I will be in touch soon. :cool:
  9. JohnnyBiker

I do think that I am going to head down that way. I need to see family as much as I can. I am going to make the effort to see if the above mentioned people are interested in meeting, well, I know one is at least.

Yes, the "test run" is nearing. I can't wait either as I think that it will be a good way to measure stamina. Although I do not expect any issues, even without this test, it will be a learning experience that is for sure. I will be giving a jingle shortly just to bullshiit... ;)
  10. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

I've said it before...and I'll say it some more......You boys don't know how lucky you are to be able ride those kinda long rides.

Have fun on your trip JB

PS just had to add my 2 cents. :D I got one of those Kaddy Kruziers cup holders. Bolt it to your handle bar of front crash bar if you have one. Puts you water (or other favorite beverage) in easy reach. I'd also get Ride On added to both tires as well as carry a can of fix a flat. Respectfully

Aloha Mike
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Ride On is a fine idea. Good luck on your shake down cruise, Johnny, and have fun.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Thanks JoshBob, it will be interesting that is for sure. :cool:
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Or get a set of tire repair plugs and fix a flat. That way you can patch the tire and air up to get to a shop vs sitting around waiting for a tow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. cardboard

15. JohnnyBiker

That would be awesome if you could. How much notice do you need? Hot Rider and I are going to be leaving here on the 9th so I am thinking that I would be in the Denver area late Sat. night on the 10th of August. Let me know if that works or not. :cheers:
  16. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Hey Don, I might be able to make that ride also by then. My shoulders are improving nicely with the physical therapy, and can possibly do the ride to meet with Johnny. Course, it depends on Johnny's time frame, but I love that ride West on I70 to Glenwood Canyon, and then South over Battle Mountain and on to home.
  17. JohnnyBiker

Awesome, I would love to meet you Alex as we were to meet up one time here in Minnesota and things got all screwed up on my end. I will be moving along at a nice clip as I will need to get out to Reno as fast as I can.

I am willing to take a back seat as far as rout goes if you and Don have some better suggestions as long as the rout isn't too far out of the way. May be nice to get off the interstate for a bit. Just a thought. Stay in touch and hopefully we can work it out. :cheers:
  18. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Johnny, you will have covered a lot of miles in wide-open flat country by then and may need a small break to keep from going nuts. Once you get to the Rocky Mountains, you will want to slow down a bit without anyone even telling you to.

Regardless, we will work around your schedule.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Cool. I am also going to see if Ironhorse would be interested in meeting up as well? I hear that he is a good man. :cool: Hey, an unintentional Bike-Talk Meet and Greet. Kind of like Reds Midwest Meander...:D
  20. JohnnyBiker

Well, I am about 1 week from Hot Rider and I taking our test run out to South Dakota. There for a little bit I wasn't sure if I should go considering that I found that I was getting some detonation, but after talking to some people, I am now comfortable that I am not going to have any issues. Or am I? I am pretty excited for this little trip. I am not going to push it too much, just enough to make sure that I get to where I want and need to be on time. I am stoked!!