1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Go West My Son!

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Good luck on your shake down run. No need to be nervous, you did your homework on the build. Now you and Hot Rider can enjoy. Have fun!
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I will!!! Hey, what is it that you have going on over the 4th? I am heading out to Milwaukee for that weekend. Want to meet up????
  3. ultra200922

I don't have anything planned because with doing road construction work I won't know my work schedule until a week or 2 before what days I will have off. I will let you know as soon as I know or I will take a ride Minnesota way some weekend I have off. Been crazy working 6 days a week right now getting things done before Memorial Day. Have a good ride next week and hopefully we can meet up and ride July 4th or some other time.
  4. JohnnyBiker

OK cool. I am going to go and visit the salesman that sold me my Road Glide as him and I talk pretty often. SummerFest is going on that weekend too but I think that I may want to go to the Harley Museum as I have never been there. Anytime you want to head to Minnesota let me know, I am always open for a ride. :cool:
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sounds like the weather's breaking good up there. Been raining a lot here, but sometimes I can get in a morning ride as it rains mostly in the afternoon or evening. I know you must be chomping at the bit for that first long ride . . .
  6. JohnnyBiker

Well, the time is about here that Hot Rider and I are taking out "shake down" out to the Black Hills. The weather forecast is not the greatest so Hot Ridr and I broke down and purchased some Rain Gear. We are planning on leaving at 3:00 A.M. as we have to check into out hotel by 3:00.P.M. We are most likely going to ride out to Mt. Rushmore and hopefully out to Crazy Horse. I am 100% confident in the durability of my build and of Hot Rider's stamina for long rides. Should be a fun 36 hours.
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JB, how far is it one way?
  8. JohnnyBiker

600 miles .
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

That'll be a good ride for ya. Are ya going I-90 thru Rapid City and Sturgis area?
    The Badlands are east of Rapid City at Wall, SD. good place to visit also.
    Most places in the area have these maps you can get for free with area attractions and how to get there. They make good garage posters when ya get home to.
    Black Hills Printable Area Map | South Dakota
    I haven't been to Deadwood except during rally week, it's a great place to people watch.
    We are headed to Red River New Mexico tomorrow morning for the Red River Rally, it's kind of like Deadwood with out the gambling and it's close for us, only 220 miles oneway.
    Have fun and let us hear how it goes.
    Rain gear is a good thing, wards off rain just having one in your saddle bags.:D
  10. JohnnyBiker

Yes, I am taking I90 there but I think that I am going to take HWY 212 home. Not planning on doing much site seeing while we are out there though. Who knows, that can change. I am looking forward to it that is for sure.

Have a good time at your rally. Post some pictures if you have a chance to.:cool:
  11. ultra200922

Hopefully your rolling back into Mn. by now JB. Hopefully it wasn't as windy there as it was here this weekend.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I didn't go. I decided that I should have the bike tuned and ready to go first... Not sure when I am going to have the time to make the run.. I guess this is what it means by the saying... "SHIIT HAPPENS!" It was really bad weather as well when I was planning on leaving. That also kind of put a wrench in it..
  13. ultra200922

No need to ride in bad weather if you don't have too. I didn't ride this weekend either, wasn't that nice out and needed to do the damn homeowner thing of yard work and house maintenance.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Thanks. Yeah, leaving in bad weather is dipshiit to me, but If I get caught in it is another.

What is your schedule like for the holidays?
  15. ultra200922

I was off since noon last Fri. until tomorrow and then we will go back to working day and night shift on I -94 until the 4th of July and I don't know what days we will have of with the 4th being on a thurs. this year.
  16. JohnnyBiker

How far in advance do you know what your schedule will be?
  17. ultra200922

1 week maybe 2
  18. JohnnyBiker

Lets talk over the phone and see if we can come up with something good.

On a different note, now that I do think that I have all of my small issues taken care of, I think that I am set to get the shake down run taken care of to meet Ultra200922. Not sure just yet when the wife and I will make the run but it going to have be real soon. I have plenty of time available for the trip to Nevada and more will be in reserve for when the time comes. I am getting pretty excited, the time is coming. :cool:
  19. JohnnyBiker

Well, it is getting closer to the time that Hot rider and I leave for the westward sun. everything with the bike is running really well and there is not a single concern that I have concerning its durability, although there is some PM work that is going to happen here over the weekend. Acting upon advice from BaggerPaul, I bought some Bel-Ray Transmission fluid and am going to drain and change that, and I am also going to give the neck bearing some grease and of course change oil. New tires are going on this Thursday. I happened to stop at the shop today to get a good look at the tire and I am pretty impressed with the tread pattern and depth. Derek happened to comment that he feels that it is going to be a really good tire and is very interested in hearing how they perform. Other than the gas cans that I need to buy for my trip, I just need to get my little tool kit together. This is what I have decided that I am going to bring along.

1.) 3/8" Ratchet
    2.) 1/4" Ratchet
    3.) Small flat head screwdriver
    4.) T27 and T25 torqx bit
    5.) New Plugs
    6.) Gapping tool
    7.) 5/8" Spark Plug Socket
    8.) Oil Filter wrench
    9.) Octane Boost
    10.) Flashlight
    11.) 10mm socket 1/4" and 3/8" drive
    12.) 10mm box end wrench
    Some may be added or subtracted. That is all folks.. :D
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  20. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion.. spare tail lite(2 filliment), zip ties & flashlight. Don't forget your HOG membership card.