1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gonna turn my 1983 into a hardtail

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by badinfluence63, Oct 31, 2014.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Gonna turn my 1983 FLHS into a rigid. Need to figure our what parts I need,purchase all those and then start the process. Hoping to use this seat I found at a swap meet 25+ years ago.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Cool project but that seat looks like it would do this old back and butt into mush.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I dunno so much old iron has been cut up and hacked

I'd leave that sucker stock, clean it up and ride it.

But if you have to do it, maybe look into a complete frame.
    Roadster guy and Lucifer like this.
  4. badinfluence63

Bought the bike the month and year my son was born. Gonna give it to him. Mostly want the seat to pay homage to the 60's choppers.
  5. badinfluence63

Son is shorter than me and the stock swing arm would make it a little too tall in the saddle for him,hence the rigid. Yeah..going with a complete rigid no bolt/weld on. Was hoping to keep the rear belt but not looking feasible. 200$ To convert to chain. As well a rigid frame would make longer then stock rear belt.
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I got my rigid frame from Paughco. American made and they have a rigid for every application and Harley motor with regular or special widths for wider rear tires. You can also get different rakes. Many of their frames are about 50 lbs. lighter than stock. My wishbone was about $1200 7 years ago. Great frame and worth every penny!

If you are going to run straight pipes, Paughco also makes hundreds of them. Shovelhead straight pipes should be 38" long for optimal performance, like the ones I have. $140 a pair.

Your frame geometry may change, depending on the size front tire you use. It's likely you may have to shorten the forks. Had to shorten my wide glide forks with a Progressive Suspension lowering kit. I'm using a standard 19" front rim and a 16" rear rim.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well hows this coming along ?
  8. badinfluence63

With unexpected expenses popping up I'm gonna keep it stock and just refurbish the worn and rusted parts. Less expensive. Put lower shocks and lower the front. Take windshield off and put drag bars on,replace rusted struts and other old/worn parts.

I pulled it out of the barn where it's been and covered for 6 years... What a freaken mess. Glad I got on it now.
  9. joshbob

I prefer to store mine (in the winter) without a cover, that way I can see what's going on.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's going to be quit the project, good luck with it and have fun. Looking forward to the pics.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep know how that goes , Being a shovel it's best to close to stock since it's there any why , good luck 7 pics are cool
  12. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

If it's a bike you really have feelings for, might be better to just buy him his own and keep this one for yourself. Might be hard to watch someone else "make it their own" later along the way if you don't agree with the choices made and parts used once it is his. JMO.
    Either way, one really lucky kid. Is he going to ride with you anytime?
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Screw a back breaking Hardtail.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

OK I'm game,

[​IMG]
  15. joshbob

16. badinfluence63

I bought it the year and the month he was born. He hasn't gotten it yet and won't until he passes the MSF course. And will only ride it the first year when I am with him. I'll be in no hurry to put it in his name as his wife of 2 years is sketchy and she's not getting that ride if things go south.
  17. joshbob

He's a young man and a hardtail would be no problem for him. Heck, it's no problem for me at 71. Another idea, framewise, is you could send your frame to FabKevin and he will weld one of his custom hard tails to it. The last time I looked, the pricing seemed pretty reasonable. Even with the shipping each way, it might be less expensive than a new frame. Another advantage is that you could bolt all your componants back on the frame, knowing everything would fit.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  18. badinfluence63

Decided not to go hardtail,rather back to as close to original. So far got brake calipers sand blasted,new tank from drag specialty,painted and at the fancy painters shop for a mural. I had replaced the original tank with the wrong tank 18 years ago after I'd damaged the original. This new tank is aftermarket but correct. P/C converted back to electronic ignition,new rocker boxs,chrome was peeling off the old ones,rear pulley seal replaced. It's not looking like a new bike rather an old one with painted and new shiny stuff on it.Compression in cylinders are 40front and 90 rear so top end needed. I found the 40 in the front weird, lower is usually in the back cylinder. Motor runs fine,no smoke? Progressive lower front end and rear shocks. Benefit of long winter is no rushing.
  19. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

That for the same kid with the Honda lawn ornament? Sounds like the you have the project rollin along fine, post a few pics if you get a chance.
  20. badinfluence63

He won't be getting on it until he takes the MSF course and the first year only with me. And in the meantime I'll be riding it to work. That bike was my baby girl from 1983 till 2008-10. Mostly a ride to work work horse. Not many long trips. Lucky to have owned it while newly married and raising 3 kids over those years.

Will have some pictures in the next couple days, probably maybe tomorrow?