1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Good bike to get on

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Daxx169, Apr 7, 2011.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's why the floorboards flip up.....
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

So what do you think there Daxx?? What's it going to be??
  3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

You can't be serious.....an Ultra (or any FLH for that matter) keeping up with a Dyna through the curves????? C'mon guys, April Fools Day was last week!
  4. JohnnyBiker

I tell you ATD, these old timer are convinced of that!!:roflmao::roflmao::D
  5. alex the dog

Yea, but since I have both bikes, I can speak from experience. Besides, I'm an old timer too.

I was challenged once by a kid on a Ducati Hypermotard (??) while riding my Dyna UP Independence Pass here. He passed me when I was puttin along in 5th gear. After I got 'er wound up in 2nd, I blew past him going around a curve (I know...dumb...but I was mad). He tried to keep up, but fell back and pulled off the shoulder and stopped like he was looking at the scenery now.

Our Independence Pass is like the Tail of the Dragon in TN, except it's over 12,000 ft. elev. and runs 45 miles to Aspen. I ride it several times a year for fun, and to see movie stars while having lunch at the local bbq joint.

After I stopped at the summit to take pictures, he blows past doing a wheelie. I never would have tried that on my StreetGlide. Ha!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. Daxx169

Daxx169 New Member

Gotta wait til I get out of the field to head down to the HD dealer and do some sittin n feelin. Out right now with my unit, just checkin this with my phone, wonders of technology! I have the 48, Fat Bob, Fat Boy lo and the 1200 custom right now on the narrowed list I think. take a look at those and get a feel for them. Do any of you guys know of a good book or website that I can hit to get caught up on the terminology for bikes? im used to working on cars, so im a bit more used to things like v-8, straight 6, direct injected etc etc. would like to look for either a small engine guide or more specifically a bike guide (i dont need to worry about lawnmowers or skidoos!). any opinions?
  7. JohnnyBiker

or you could just hang out here and learn? just ask questions.:cool:
  8. alex the dog

Hmmmm.....I like Donny Petersen for technical writing, and he has several books out. American Iron magazine will be a good monthly publication to bring you up to speed.
  9. Daxx169

Daxx169 New Member

This would certainly seem to be the place! Alright, i guess first question, im guessing the "style" of engine that harley has employed over the years has changed over specific time frames, do the "pan head" "shovel head" "block head". were these specific to time frames, or were there mostly multiple engine versions on the same years? i know recently harley has gone to many more models than they used to, they left modifications up to the owners. can someone give me a heads up on the history of the engine styles, and possibly what defines them as the names indicated>?
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:D You won't leave me :D Been there done it. :D
  11. alex the dog

Well, I may not be accurate on the dates, but going back through the early years, Harley started with a single cylinder in 1903. Then came the 45 degree v-twin in 1909 up to present. Those early motors were flat-head style engines that continued into the 1940's. After the war came the "Knucklehead", then the "Panhead" in the 50's, and the "Shovelhead" in the 60's. There was no blockhead. These engines were all labeled by riders who described the way these engines looked. Later, Harley actually accepted this terminology themselves.

Some of the guys on this forum are better with exact dates, so excuse me for inacuracies. Also, I'm trying to be very brief.

The next big developement came in the 1980's with the "Evolution" or "Evo" engine, which was the base for the current "Twin Cam". These were 80 cubic inches (or 1340 cc metric), then 88 inches. In 2006, the Twin Cam was enlarged to 96 cubic inches with a 103 c.i. hot rod version. Soon after, H-D offered a 110 c.i. (1800 cc) version in their CVO (Custom Vehicle Option) bikes.

So far, these have all been the "Big Twin" engines for the bigger Harleys. I know, it's confusing.

Harley came out with the Sportster sometime in the 50's, as a light weight sporty alternative to the big hogs. These had smaller (883-1200cc's) high performance engines that continue today. Visually, the engine looks similar to the Big Twins on the outside, but not internally.

That's probably enough to get familiar without getting into all the models right now and confusing you more.
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good job on all the dates Alex, the 110 motor came out in the CVO line in 2007 and they had a few over heating and head gasket issues with it and a few other issues then but are still offering it in the CVO line up. My 103 with cams in my 2011 Ultra limited actually puts more out than the stock 110 does. I did initially ride a stock 110 Roadking in Sturgis at their test rides. You were supposed to go on their set course but instead of following right on I-90 I went left and opened it up. That Road King got up and moved very well and was very smooth. I hit 120 very fast, then brought it back down cops all around and when I came back I pulled in behind the group as they were returning, :cool: they didn't even miss me. :D :devil:

I remember saying to myself after the ride was I gotta get one of these. :D fun bike.
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

basically all the different big twin models run the same motor with slight various here and there. Sportsters have a couple of different size motors but are basically the same bottom end.
    example, hertiage and fatboy are the same motor, frame and tires with different sheet metal and accessories. Some softails have a different front end.
    Same goes for the sportster line up, basically the same motors and frames with slight variations.
  14. Daxx169

Daxx169 New Member

Nice start. so second, differentiation between the styles of bikes. As HarleysLR said, alot of the bikes are very similar, just different sheet metal and finishing touches etc to make the different styles. what are the major styles, and the differences that are associated with each style. Im guessing soft tail due to the shocks placed on the rear of the bike, as opposed to the ones without. as well, when you guys are doing mods, with alot of the older cars i've worked on we have a great deal of trouble finding authentic parts and peices. for seals and gaskets, for instance, we'll use a high heat silicon if we cant find an actual gasket to replace it, as this will work just as well as long as you bead it properly and ensure its a clean line with none flowing into the wrong areas (overtop of a piston or valve etc). for the much earlier versions of bikes you guys work on (im guessing below the model year 85 and such) is it hard to find replacement parts? do alot of these parts interchange between bikes still?
  15. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

HD has probably the biggest after market and oem replacement suppliers going. Example-Year One for your muscle car is huge in oem and accessories where HD has 5-6 co. just as big doing 40yr old "new parts" for your knuckle heads and such!
    Swap meets are full of take off parts and old parts abound online, e-bay and craigslist etc.
    Not to mention a Harley don't sit on the side of the road alone very long, broke down or not another rider will stop to make sure your good to go or just to join ya! It's a huge brotherhood you'd be joining, even if you do buy a skortster/skirtster/baby softail/wannabeglide! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Poor JB :D
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ya might also check into a used HD - lot of them on the market at reasonable prices with low mileage. Could save ya a bundle and give ya the extra bucks to make it yer own.
    Without a doubt you will be changing something out over the long haul - look what JB has done to his sporty - or in Joshbobs case basiclly building from the ground up. The time spent on the bike no matter which you chose will be time well spent.
    OH and don't forget that whatever one you get buy a HD shop manuel to go with it.:)
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yeah baggers are slow and cumbersome
    hard to get through corners made for straight roads only

[YOUTUBE]0nrMQ3QwyPo[/YOUTUBE]
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

that's why they sell so many of them
  19. alex the dog

I'd like to see the sides of that Goldwing---bet the footboards and exhaust pipes are ground completely off.

Hotroadking, check out the video of the Harley bagger doing the same road just a few clips away on your You-tube post.
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Daxx169 First off..Canadian Military?...thank you for your service. Before you go demo-ing bikes you will need your class 6 before anyone will let you swing a leg over the saddle so that's your first priority. Once you get your licence then you can go out and test drive the hell out of any bike you like and as you can guess from this BB, everyone has a take on which bike is the best choice. Have fun with it.

Alex, were you referring to where the guy that blew the corner after passing the car video? Not a good line there..wonder what happened, looked like he a brain fart hope he wasnt hurt bad

YouTube - An average Harley rider at Deal's Gap

sorry for the ad