1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Good bike to get on

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Daxx169, Apr 7, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Ain't gonna ride a Goldwing.
  2. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Don't worry DAX Jb & CB just need to clear the air once in awhile or their relationship gets stuffy!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::fight:
  3. cardboard

Buddy in Lousiana has a Harley and a Goldwing.
    Tha goldwing is just too fast.......

And it has tooo many buttons......
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Had an 1800 Goldwing and yes, they are fast but if you think an ultra is heavy man its nothing compared with that 1800 Goldwing. Their bulky and cumbersome at slow speeds. It takes a skilled rider to put em though the corners like in that video. The Ultra is nimble when compared to that mammoth 1800 Goldwing. Coming down the Clackamas River headwaters their is a road with corners that will compare to the best roads anywhere. Well a guy on an 1800 yellow wing was trying to keep up with a bunch of his buddies on their Japanese sport bikes. He went off the road, over a cliff and crashed into the river below. Rider was killed and never heard if the bike was ever pulled out of the bottom. I like my Harley.
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'd like to ride that road sometime. I think the Coronado Trail corners are tighter than the Dragon..we weren't going that fast were we?
  6. cardboard

We had a dude on a goldwing riding with us satin that too
  7. FLHTbiker

Yes we were in some corners but your right many of the corners were much tighter than those on the video :D
  8. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Ain't it wonderful to have so many choices in one brand? H-D says that if you buy a Sporty today, they will give you full price on a trade-up in a year. Ever hear ANY other brand do that??

Personally, I really like the Fat Bob. Everything except for the pipes. And I really, really love those sexy dual headlights. I put them on my Dyna Low Rider, and they fit perfectly. To me, it kinda looks like the new Sportster Custom with the 16" front tire.

You know, choosing only one bike is very hard. I like Cardboard's plan (and his resources).....you need to have several just to make life interesting.
  9. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

My brother's Heritage scrapes the boards way before my Ultra does,
    Outside of real slow riding or parking, the Ultra never feels really heavy.
    Still, I miss my Dyna. Wish I could have kept them both.
    No swipe at JB, but I've known damn few to start out on a Sporty, and
    be happy with them for the long run. Most all have moved to a larger model.
    Even alot of the girls that start on them, thinking they are going to be easier
    to handle because they are "smaller" end up on a softie as they find the
    balance better on a Deluxe or Heritage better. I've got a good friend (female) that's 5'4", maybe 110 pounds drippin wet, that has had, a 883 hugger, a Dyna Low Rider, and is now on her 2nd Heritage. She put over 50,000 miles on the Dyna and the first Heritage, but got off the Sportster in less than 20,000.
    I doubt a 6 foot frame would be comfortable on a Sporty for too long, but the 1200 is a bunch of giggles for shorter rides.
    Just my opinion ofcourse, which when added to 3 bucks will buy ya a beer most anywhere.
  10. alex the dog

Have to laugh about that one, as I had a friend who rode his Goldwing here from Texas last fall. I took him for a run over Independance Pass to Aspen for lunch. He tried to keep up for awhile, but then fell way back. When we got to Aspen, he said he was going back another way. Asked him why, he said "I thought I was fast in the curves until I got behind you...besides, I'm from Texas and we don't have anything near that kinda riding there." We took the long way back home.
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

There are many things that I love about my Sporty and I am not talking about in the way because I tore it apart to redo it. I like it for the very reason that you mentioned. As of now I do not have the time to go all over the United States so a Sportster is most practical for me. Yes I could have gotten a Dyna, but my love affair with them wore off for some reason. The bigger bikes were just too much for me to spend at the time so I had to do something. The only thing that I consider uncomfortable about my bike and it is my fault is that my feet are a little too far out on the pegs, but that is about change soon. (Heat wrap for the pipes).
  12. FLHTbiker

Was down at Latus Motors over the weekend and was talking to a salesman there about the Sporsters. I guess they have now changed them and they are now sitting lower to the ground and the rear shocks are set up different and guess they don't corner as well as they used to.
  13. JohnnyBiker

I have one Sportster but not sure that I need another one. Although I would like to take that 48 out for a hell ride though. Everytime that I get set for a Soft tail, Cowboy emails me a picture of a really nice older shovel. The latest is an 81 WG, really nice!!!! :banghead:
  14. Daxx169

Daxx169 New Member

I hear you about selection. i'd like to get out on a bike, with my schedule I dont forsee any type of long road trip coming about in my future. most of the riding i'll be doing is less than an hour and a half from where I live, so not too long a stint. The good thing about the sporties as well is cost. My first real bike, aside from dirt bikes as a teenager, so if i do something stupid with it at least its also less likely to cost me as much. I'd like to get a new one, and then search around for an old one and rebuild it from the ground up. another reason for a smaller bike is space. I've got a 69 Chevy panel truck sitting in my garage waitin for a rebuild as well, so i've gotta look at the cost of workin on that AND a bike. So a new one for me to boot around town, to work, and out to the farm would be all I need at this time. Its good to hear from you all, its killin me right now being out in the field and unable to get into the dealership, to press my face against the windows and drool....I think they're gonna get sick of hiring the squeegy kids to clean the windows after I've visited.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I think that you are on the right track about buying what is practical for YOU. I like all bike from the Sportster up to the Softails. You made a good point about room as well. That is what I want to do as well is to find a bike that needs some help and to rebuild it. I started a race car project that I would like to finish some day as well.
  16. alex the dog

Johnny, you have the right wisdom for your current needs. A little addage that I learned from my dad many years ago: "buy the best quality that you can afford now, and it won't hurt you to stretch a bit". It didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time, but I learned over time how right he was.

It doesn't matter if you're buying tools, appliances, vehicles, or a house--the same principle holds true. If you buy something cheap, you will be buying another one very soon (or sooner than you would like).

If you buy something of quality, you will have the enjoyment of better everything for a long time. You just have to try to look down the road a few years further. If it's good quality, you may even get your money back when you sell it.

With cheap products coming from China and Japan that LOOK OK, it's tough to convince people to buy a more expensive American made product, because they either think that imports are better, or the cheap one might last as long. They are almost always disappointed.
  17. JohnnyBiker

I agree, I always buy according to the purpose of what it is that I am buying. If I need something that is not going to be needed on a continuous basis, I will buy the cheap stuff (China), but if it something that I need to perform well and often, I always buy American. This is something that a buddy of mine argue about often, especially with MC parts. He likes to buy as cheap as he can and I like to spend the extra on good stuff. He seems to be always replacing things that he had just done. I just laugh at him sometime, I guess that is just the way he is.
  18. alex the dog

I don't know what it takes to convince people about the word "value". Is it a good value to buy a product for $10 that works only once and maybe gets thrown away, or is it a better value to pay $30 and have it the rest of your life?

I've been singing this "buy American" song for probably 25 years now, and nobody seems to care, especially the younger generations. When the majority of the country is unemployed, it will be too late to change the outcome.

OK, I'm off my pulpit now.
  19. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Stick with with it..sooner or later people will have to come around and get away from the throw away mentality. There is perceived value and true value..That is the lesson that needs to be learned
  20. FLHTbiker

I've been saying the same thing for years to. The younger crowd for the most part seem to think they know it all but they will learn, hopefully.