1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

GPS units

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by NAILIT, Oct 5, 2011.

1. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

I m thinking I want something tht talks to me...!!
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like the GPS better as well, but I don't have one for my bike so I have to use a map if I need to. Not only that, I just may stop and ask for some directions so I can get even more lost..
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao: City boy like you needs help and somebody telling you where to go. :roflmao:
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well at least you can read a amp :roflmao: , GPS (getting people stranded ):D
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Go to compusa.com they have reconditioned garmins, $80 less than the cost of the
    annual update subscription to garmin and come with one free map update when you buy it.

Get a ram mount from gpscity.com the cradle for your gps, a 1 or 3 inch arm (get both) and the bar mount.
  6. FLHTbiker

Don't need a GPS out here in the west and won't ever go into the big cities back east again; what a zoo they are, so don't need one on the bike. I'll probably never even ride east of Colorado again.
    They are OK for many and I can see a purpose for them for some people. I've never been truly lost, been a might confused a time or too as to where I am, but never lost. If I get to one of those confused times ever again, well heck I'll just take the IPhone out of the trunk and open up the maps app and pin point where I'm at. :)
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I like the way Abby made her map book in Shovelhead Redemption. I made a similar one once with directions from map quest, then reduced & laminated the pages. It fit in my jacket pocket. Still had a road map, too.
  8. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

I like the phone / map combination. After thinking about it I probably would not use the GPS often enough to justify the cost... Uless I found something that could be used easily in the car also...
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I haven't had an issue with my car GPS...It works really well and I only use it when I go to the Twins.. I am not there often enough to know my way around.
  10. hotroadking

Use mine when locating a new place, in town some

Mostly on trips into areas I don't know

On Garmin you can do a map on your PC, set waypoints (turns, mid stops, etc) POI
    and then make up a route for a daily ride, it will take you right where you want to go.
  11. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Use my map to pick destination,use my tom tom to get me there. but ALWAYS take the map:rolleyes:
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Garmin has the best GPS that i've seen.
    You can call them and talk to them or look at their site.
    They are very friendly to talk to.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414#zumo

I've had a Zumo 550 for a pretty good while. Its Vibration proof, water proof and all. With it being water proof, you need to plug a cord in from the Zumo to yer radio so you can hear the lady tell you when to do what, or learn to watch it and watch where it tells you to turn.
    At HD its known as a Navtech. The navtech don't come with the Auto attachments like the Zumo does.
    Got a buddy that got the Zumo 665 model. He has it on his bike.

You can put a SD card in my zumo and program a route to go somewhere.
    Or put music on it and listen to it threw yer radio.
    You can also bluetooth yer phone into the Zumo and see when somebody calls you.
    My buddy has the Sena 10 in his AVG modular helmet. He can use his Ipod to listen to music and has it in his tourpac charging.
    He can take a call if he wants to talk to somebody and he can hear the lady on the zumo give him directions.
    He got in on Amazon

Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom for Motorcycles - SMH10

[​IMG]
  13. cardboard

Here is the Zumo 550 on the Handle bar mount that comes with it.
    This is the 2nd bike I've had it on.
    No it doesn't git in the way. And its easy to use.
    I will say I'm gittin old and can't see everything everyday real good.
    I can tell where its takin me and I can follow a route on it.

This picture was taken with it over cast outside with my Iphone 4

[​IMG]
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep...Lil Sweetie took her TomTom on our last trip around Nova Scotia,so I said "OK you tell us where to go" We got to tour some nice logging roads and some rough dirt roads:rolleyes: then when we got back on the same Highway we turned off 2 hrs ago(just 30 miles farther down) I get this whack on the back of the head and told there are big red numbers on the screen saying we're doing 150km/hr(95MPH)...well at least I know my speedo is accurate;) altho my speedo is MPH
    Next stop, I unplugged the damn thing,tossed it in the trunk and took out the map...only detours after that were ones I wanted to make....
    My advice would be ...take a map,read the highway signs and enjoy the scenery...:D
  15. cardboard

Gues you didn't take the time to zoom out and look where it was tskin you
    And you need to see if it's set to the shortest route
    Fastest route or what
    Like the zumo a lot better than a Tom Tom
    But you need a general ides where yer going too
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am disappointed.....ya not gonna tell us how many times it got us lost or turned in the wrong direction..............bummed!!!:D
  17. hotroadking

Thing about GPS when you are out looking for backroads
    you need to go into setup and tell it the kind of roads
    you want to exclude, Highways, toll roads, dirt/unpaved

Then it will route you over nice two laners...

To each his own....
  18. FLHTbiker

You mean CB has to be smarter that the GPS, :roflmao:
  19. cardboard

Some days when I git up , I can't see as well as others up close. Guess Age is kickin my Ass..
    So trying to read the street names on the display I can't make them out, don't take me anywhere, if I can't see them I don't know where to go.
    And if you think I'm riding my Bike with lined Bifocals you might as well put a dress on and git in line with the OL.
    She wants me to git a hearing Aid too. I ride with Oakley Monster sunglasses.
    I can see far off good,
    So if you can't read the names and folks start out and don't let you know they ain't got any gas kinds screws up things.

And I was tryin to read the GPS unit and didn't have a cord to go from it to he HD radio that I didn't have at the time.

I've asked you to go riding many times, but yer too busy.
    We don't ride anywhere on the bikes and eat no more.
    You hide at the house.:gah:
  20. FLHTbiker

CB, your stubborn, get the glasses they will really help yea. You can get em with no lines and ones that look like your Oakleys. :D

How come you also don't set the GPS to talk to you when you need to make a turn. :)