1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

GPS units

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by NAILIT, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I bought a set of unlined bifocals, I was throwing up and fallin down and runnin into people and stuff trying to wear them
    When I turned my eyes I got a RUSH.
    Went back to the Eye Doctor and he laughed, everybody can't wear unlined Bifocals.
    I got a pair of lined bifocals. can't walk with them on, can't walk down the stairs at the house either. My house is 8' off the ground.
    Not safe.
    I have good days and worst days at seeing stuff up close.

If you knew a lot about a WAter Proof GPS unit you would know it don't have speakers.
    The Zumo 550 came with a car kit. It uses the kit to talk threw a set of speakers in the kit.
    YOu can bluetooth it into a new model trucks radio and the sound comes out the stereo speaker.

Then I had a EGS. It didn't at the time have a HK radio.
    I later got a radio and got a cord so I can plug it from the GPS to the radio and hear the sound come out the radio.

Everything to everybody when it comes to GPS and all is IF IT COST money they don't want it and want to find anything wrong with it.
    After my wife got caught in traffic a year ago. I gave her one and took a couple hours to show her how to use it.

Now she will not let you take it from her.

I gave her a Iphone a year ago. I caught hell for 2 days. Now its not safe to jack with her Iphone.
    She does everything with it. I sent her a message in the QR code with it and she read it. Tripped out I sent it to her and had to tell her how to use it.

I'm a Bull and a technology freak. I like learning new gadgets,

A GPS is a Tool to AID you. You need to use it. If you take it off and put it in the tourpac you just wasted yer time cause yer lazy.
    Ask Chucktx when he got turned around and I used the GPS when I 1st got it and got us on the interstate going to Round Top, Texas.

[​IMG]
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Man I started reading your post and then started rolling on the ground laughing. You gotta get used to em man. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Which one is you in the pic....middle....:D
  3. cardboard

Comon Man ! :gah:

I'm more handsum than that . Give me a Break.:rant:

I'm on the left.

[​IMG]
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

There's a legend on the map tells you the same thing...If you're looking for an address in the city,they're great....if you're going on a road trip with your bike,take a map!!It's not the destination...it's the journey...besides you should be watchin' where you're goin...not some damn computer screen...might as well be on your cell phone:rant:
  5. cardboard

Yer behind times.
    Guess you have trouble changin stations on yer radio when you drive down the street in yer truck.
    I didn't just start using GPS's

I got a Iphone with Google maps.
    It has every street in the U.S.
    And every service station and every hotel and everyting you can find in a phone book and moe.

Don't need a map in my tourpac to stop and waste time.

Believe it or not, the world has advanced.
    If you own a business nowadays and you want to do business with some big companies, If you can't scan a copy of something and email it . Seems like the Big companies don't want to do business with folks that still use Fax machines.
  6. FLHTbiker

The big guy on the left with the ball cap on, man you need to get off the couch and start doing something. :roflmao::roflmao: Bit younger looking than I thought to. :)
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Guess I am...I don't own a cell phone.... and we only have one radio station:roflmao:
    I guess you lost what it's like to point your front fender in a direction and follow it...

Never had to email a fax to big business on a road trip...:rolleyes:
  8. cardboard

Wasn't talkin about a fax on yer bike.:D

Have been riding to places I never been to. The GPS will take me there, or if I point my front tire and go. it will let me know where I am.
    It will show a super sharp turn and let me know if there is a place to eat where I am.
    And a whole lot more.
    It will accept a Sd card and you can store music on the SD card and play it threw the radio on yer bike.
  9. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Been reading this whole thread, interesting. Like so many other things, gotta do what floats your boat. Never really used the GPS too much on my bike, have one came on car, think it is magellan, is OK. Have one wife gave me several years ago, Garmin... like it much better. Found a deal a while back on a lifetime update package on sale less than $75 ... can update 4 times per year. Someone said somewhere in this thread, would probably never use one enough to make it worth the money. I used to think that until I had one. You can always turn it off and head where ever... but dang nice when you need them...:)
  10. cardboard

Had a magellen, it sux's.

The car you bought you will never git yer money out of what you paid for it.
    And you will turn around and go buy another one.

A GPS is a tool in yer tool box. It can aid you if you learn how to use it.
    If you fight it, it can't help you.
    Even a GPS can make a mistake, Yer the pilot, you can look at where yer going before you leave if you don't git drunk the nite before and have a general idea.
    I use mine to go everywhere.
    I do go to certain places and take a turn and say go to this city.
    If you are in the country it can take you down some roads you never seen.
    the only problem is it don't show Paved roads from Dirt roads.
    But it does a good job. you can zoon out and make sure a road goes all way threw too.
  11. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

You are right about the one on the car ... it actually is company car so didn't cost me. But only works well in larger city areas. Where I live not a great GPS. Updates real expensive, so I dont get them. I still leave it on all the time, cause it is there and does pretty good if you know its limitations. The Garmin has been great ... I use one or the other on every trip, sometimes just to keep track of how far left to go and how much time. Real good to find food or something in a place you don't know well. Probably never go without one again, even if it is an inexpensive one. Have to admit, I like techie stuff. Few years ago, wife bought me a mountaineering watch for Christmas. Sales guy said, this is complicated till you learn it. She said, great! He will love it then.
  12. cardboard

I live out in the country. We have small telephone books, you can't call anwhere without long distance.
    My neighbor came over and asked if I had a phone book for a city 30 miles away.
    I said No I don't have one. But you do. He said I don't have one.
    Git the keys for yer new chysler 300. He got em
    I sit down in his car, it has a Garmin GPS.
    I showed him how to look the business up and the business like it in the area and I showed him how to press go and showe him how it would take him there.
    He's 81 and was blowed away.
    He came home and thanked me. He went and took a class on Defensive driving for seniors that was cheap, he got a big discount on his insurance.
    After sittin down a few times with him and riding down the street, he can operate it.
    He has a nice car and a nice GPS too.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i guess you forgot i was at your place last thursday, and you couldnt take your bike off the lift cause ya wasnt finished waxing your wheels...........:banghead:
  14. cardboard

Redneck I was waitin for something to come on TV, forgot what it was now.
    But I had a rachet on it. All I had to do was let it down.
    It was 12:00 and you was ready to git back home.

What was it you come here to borrow that you won't buy ?
    And have you learned how to use it yet.

Don't run my Boat up on the ground staring at the unit or hit a stump.
    Take somebody with you so you make it back,
    And Oh yea wear a life jacket . Its too far to swim to shore.:roflmao:
  15. FLHTbiker

Why don't yea invite yourself and go with him.
  16. cardboard

Got a new bike and Chrome wheels. Nothin wrong with cleanin yer bike.
    AT least I do it...........:D

You can't ride all day and all nite while yer on the couch anyway.
  17. cardboard

What to go to his house and go back to sleep. Chucktx eats lunch at 12:00 and after that he lays down for about 3 hours.
    If yer there he will run yer butt off.
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

have a buddy like that, gets up at 4, naps at 2, back up at 6, eats, back to bed.

They just put three stints in, he had 90% clogged on two of them...

Said he feels better now, not tired....
  19. cardboard

Was on Prostate medicine a few years ago. Go no growth harmones. You wear out fast.

I had a Neuclear Stress test. then my appendix busted.
    Had a operation and nearly died.

I'm on Colestrol and high blood pressure medicine.
    If I have nothin to do I git bored and lay on the couch and take a nap.
  20. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

I picked up a fairly new garmin nuvi 200 for $35. Have been watching Pawn Stars so I checked it out. Never been to a pawn shop before. They had a $69price tag on it and talked him down to $35. He had a box full of them. Ram mount is the way to go.