1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

GPS units

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by NAILIT, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Do you really need someone to tell you where to go!!:rolleyes:
    I really don't GAF what you put on your bike...if you feel you need all the hi-tech gadgets and latest stuff so you can find where you're going..well then, I guess you really need them....How the hell did we ever survive before GPS and cell phones....God forbid you're not in constant contact with someone or don't know exactly where on the planet you are...but if you can't be out on your own or find your way to and from where you're going without a gizmo to tell you...IMO that's just sad:rolleyes:
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Started as a Locksmith in 69 as a outdoor serviceman. Drove at least 3000 miles a month.
    Read maps, took notes and bought new key maps every year.
    Watched my Dad,grand dad and everybody do this forever.

Got a Garmin Nuvi 350 about 10 yrs ago. Life became easier.
    Now I got some knuckleheads that knows more about gittin around and how did we ever make it without GPS.
    YOu have to take the time to learn them. Just like everything else.
    Why did you ever learn to use a computer. How did you ever live without gittin on one and typing all the time. And lookin stuff up

I don't just ride to the bar and back, I go to other startes and places.
    Its 850 miles across Texas alone.
    My GPS is a Tool in my tool box to help me, and its done a pretty good job.
    If you can't glance at a GPS and drive by all means don't git one.
    I'd hate for you to hurt yerself.
    I'm multi talented, I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

And with Google maps on my Iphone , why would I need to take a paper map,
    My GPS has maps of the whole U.S.
    If money is any harder for you to come by than me, and I only git to work about 6 months a year. I feel bad for you.
    But for like 120.00 you can git life time maps for a garmin GPS.
    If its about spending money that bother you, don't spend it.
    My priorities are my Motorcycle.
    I bought it for a Hobby and to ride. Been riding since 64 so I know a lot of folks here knows a lot more about riding and gittin around then me.
    I got CRS and do a pretty dang good job.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Your priorities are hi-tech gadgets and think yer nuttin ifn yer dont have it(or don't need it)...Not getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed man...so fug it...you're right as usual and I'm just an uncoordinated knuckle draggin dum azz:rolleyes:
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I'm a high tech Redneck

And how did we hit into a battle of a unarmed man
    Man Please !
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Friend of mine is thinking of buying a new CVO Ultra and they come with a GPS. He has a Harley GPS on his bike now and told me he would give me his GPS if he buys the new bike. :eek: I told him I don't want it. :D
  6. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Everybody has to do their own thing. There is no right or wrong way, just what each person likes. Used to never use a map or gps, just hunted for where I wanted to be. Then I started using maps off computer to find some place new. Now I use a gps (in my car or truck). Have not put one on bike, probably won't ... but who knows, may change my mind. For sure, I have come closer to running off the road in my car looking at a map than when the lady in the box talks to me on the gps.

Reminds me of many years ago, I was 23 and talking to a guy about 60 I worked with. We were talking bass fishing, I had grown up fishing with an old guy who knew how to get them, he liked plastic worms rigged snaggless. The 60 year guy said only way was top water ... I jumped on that and said I know better. He said you were not listening, I did not say only way was top water, I said only way I caught them was top water, it was what he liked. Taught me alot. Everybody has their personality and ways. ;)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep, don't care if folks want one or not,
    i'ts just another tool