1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

GREAT Days At The Pump

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Does your oil tank have to have a containment area in the event the tank leaks or breaks so the oil doesn't contaminate the soil around the home?
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We gots lots of hydro damn power here and our place is all electric. New houses here use natural gas, got lots of that to. All the old oil burners are pretty much gone few still around and inspected many when doing home inspections. I hate the old oil burners gas is much cleaner and easier.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Man electric heat here will put s person broke and homeless. Our electricity is made by diesel generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Yup...We are all natural gas around here except for the older homes with oil burners...
  5. FLHTbiker

I just paid 1.99 a gallon when I went and put gas in the Mustang.

Here is just one pic of the many Hydo dams we have this is Bonnivelle Dam on the Columbia, one of many on it. We gots lots of cheaper Electricity. Matter of fact we had nuclear power plants here that have all been shut down in Oregun.

image.jpg image.jpg
  6. Fatboy128

They built a nuclear plant here on the island but it never started. Residents had it shut down due to the fact that evacuation from the island would take forever if the plant melted down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Hate to slip off into the mf'er...dang...tal about under toe..yikes
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

all electric here except the kitchen stove ,I put propain gas in , a bit large two car garage a 18X40 shop , the barn all on the same bill around $440 a month house is about 1700 sqf shop needs a heater yet Has a huge fan for summer & open windows
  9. badinfluence63

No but it has to be set on a like 3x5 cement slab. Unless they are really really old the chance of leakage is minimum to none. They are basic construction and made well. My tank is only 4-5 years old maybe 6 I for get.
  10. FLHTbiker

Ours being all electric our heat is on all the time during the winter plus lights. Shop lights stay on 24-7 to keep the moisture from the bikes. Our electric bill a month in the winter runs around 180.00. It's nice during the summer when it's shut off and very seldom have to run the A/C
  11. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

A fellow I worked with had his retirement home in Newfoundland. [was his parents] The home had oil heating. Within the past ten years they replaced their oil tank and had it move from the back of the house[outside] to the basement. For some reason the tanked leaked out and all the stove oil went into the basement and then out into the soil. To make a long story short they had to move the house off the foundation and completely clean up the area of contaminated soil. Cost him a pile of money. I guess his was not the only tank to breach. Most insurance policies don't cover oil leakage any more. I know that at work if we have containment tanks and berms to control any leakage of fluids that could cause harm to the environment. I'm surprised that there isn't something for these 200 gallon oil tanks for home use yet.
  12. FLHTbiker

When doing home inspections I always looked for old oil tanks in homes in certain areas. It was a big deal if I found one especially the buried ones. The sellers would then have to have it inspected by a certified person. Then the tank would have to be decommissioned by filling it with usually sand. Locate guys made good money looking for them to with their special locate devices. I know it cost a bundle decommissioning a oil tank that was buried in the ground. Ground contamination is a big deal anymore and takes thousands of bucks to have it done. When ever I found a running oil furnace I could look in the burner to tell if it was burning Ok. But I always called it out to be inspected by a licensed expert in that field. Plus many times it vented into an old chimney and that would have to be inspected.
    Gas furnaces can also be dangerous if the heat exchange is bad (cracked). Did an inspection on an older home once where the sellers were moving to a nursing home because they were always so sick. Found a large break in the heat exchanger and exhaust gases were going back through the heating supply lines and was making them sick. Surprised it didn't kill them. Always recommend getting gas and oil furnaces inspected on a regular basis.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You couldn't build that dam today
  14. FLHTbiker

Yea the environmentalist would be all over you. Bad enough when they think that the fish are all being killed and there not. But I know the cost today would kill it as we're now to busy spending all the extra money on welfare programs that don't work.
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Frigging tree hugged frog lovers fish fuggers would keep it in court for years
  16. badinfluence63

Bull shit! Big money still rules, tree hugger be damned. They built a Walmart/Price Choppers/ Book-a- Million smack dap over some protected wet lands here recently..no problem.
  17. FLHTbiker

Friggen tree hugging hippies shut down logging here with that spotted Owl lie.
  18. badinfluence63

Probably protecting their pot harvest in reality
    HarleysLR likes this.
  19. FLHTbiker

Shoot them hippies would tie themselves to trees build a tree stand in a tree and dared them to cut the trees with them in it. They also set logging trucks on fire. All in protest for the environment. Many of them went to prison but hey now their running our state government. Look what Obummer now wants to do, free community college if they stay in school. Where's the money coming from Obummer. When I was in community college I worked and went to school to pay for it.
    I really hate them liberal pukes
  20. Fatboy128

Obummer is setting up the repubs he knows they will shoot down the free college. This way he makes them to be the bad guys again for the next election. He will probably introduce more bullshirt things between now and the next election just to torpedo the repubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk