1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Great Smokey Mountain Bike Week

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by sarge7, Feb 3, 2009.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Gsmbw

Howdy ya'all,
    Haven't posted in a while. Between moving into our new place, having to replace the tranny in the pick up and life in general haven't had a lot of time. Anyhow, will be heading up to Pigeon Forge for a day or two. I hope the traffic isn't as bad as it usually is, if not watch for old folks in rented motorhomes that usually drive Camrys. Look for my Red Dyna and my GreyBear Bike talk patch.
    Oh and as a footnote, Myrtle Beach is mainly a misnomer anyway. There was hardly any Rally activity in MB proper. I was down there for the Fall Rally had a great time and didn't spend a second or a penny in MB. They even have a Ride Around Myrtle Beach route that takes you from the Hoary county vender sites and the Harley shop (which is right outside the city limits) around to North Myrtle Beach whose mayor has rolled out the red carpet. Have a good one.
    Ride Free, Live Strong
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Hayya Graybear - We''l keep an eye out for ya. Ride Safe:)
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Picked up a FLIP Camcorder today with a helmet device to mount it. Hopefully I'll have some pics to share with ya'll when I get back.
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Now the wifes raisin hell. She wants me to trailer the bike down to TN. - The look I gave her would peal paint off the wall. After all the years she's rode behind me now she doesn't want to ride and guess she fiqiured I shouldn't either. Tryed to explain that the destanation wasn't important but the ride there was. So now I get to put up with a misguided -disgruntled wife.
    Some Days ya just can't win.
  5. Mayor

Mayor New Member

You are right about the ride there is as important at the stay.....Sometimes we just ride to the Smokies and catch one show, eat a couple of good meals, stay one night and ride some of the loops and return home....either way you will have a great time.....Look forward to meeting you there....
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

We'll see ya there MAYOR! - Even with the ball and chain dragin behind me - maybe the event will help gain her sanity again.:D
  7. Mayor

Mayor New Member

There is so much to do there besides the rally.....She will have a great time....I know you said you were comming a few day before the rally....Catch some of the shows.....Most are really great.....We try to get up there 5 or 6 times a year.....of course it is just 230 to 300 miles according to the route you take for us....great loops all over the place....Sometimes we just tear out and try to get lost and find our way back....never have been disapointed. Smokey Mountain Harley in Pigeon Forge and Maryville are both top of the line and I am sure they will have something going on at the Shedd in Maryville.....If you trailer it.....You will still get all the riding you want while there.....
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I give the idea some thought - bout 2 seconds worth- but the fun is the ride not the destination. If it takes me a extra hour or two to get there so be it.
    I can understand the wifes concern because of my age and health but the way I look at it - is you only go through life once once so I plan to make the most of it.
    When I roll up to the Pearly gates I don't want to have to explain to Saint Pete that I died of boredom. I plan on screechin in on two wheels and let him know I had one hell of a ride gettin there. Maybe he'll let park it outside the gate for a warm day so I can raise a little hell in heaven.:D
  9. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Health....Sounds just like me....Got her the trike to make the load lighter and keep me on two wheels rather than ME getting on a trike.....When they put numbers on my life we started taking every ride we could...I would get tired and drop the bike on long trips every now and then...(of course she was tired and most of the time it was when she was mounting the bike) I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.......On the bad days I try to get in a 40 or 50 mile ride which makes me feel better....Bad day at City Hall; get on the bike and forget it!!!! I know what you mean!!!! Heart attacts, then a killer lung problem.......Bike give me a way to go that I can enjoy!!! Hope St. Peter rides a Harley...:D
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

No doubt about it - Harleys rule in heaven
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Only 33 more days to go.:rocket_bike:
  12. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Guns and Roses will be at the Shed at Smokey Mountain Harley in Maryville outside Pigeon Forge on the 11th of April......I know they will have someone great during bike week....
  13. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

There's another event to add to my growing list of things to do - Thanks MAYOR.:)
  14. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Hot01 - Did you make it to the Dragon after Daytona? - Or did the weather do ya in?:D
  15. west940

west940 New Member

Rode the Dragon and The Cherohola on Sunday and it was beautiful. Tee shirt weather, 75 degrees and sunny, but still early in the season so there was not much traffic. The only cops I saw all day were down on Chilhowie Lake before the Dragon.(I'm too old and fat to worry with cops anymore anyhow)

It was a 325 mile trip for me and I enjoyed every minute of it. Now it has snowed yesterday and today and I am bummed. Can't hardly wait for my next ride. Kinda makes me feel like a teenager.
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

she didnt quite make it, if you go to her blog, which is very interesting reading, she explains it all. she is a wonderful writer.......:)
  17. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I'm Still waitin for her book to come out. Followed her logs on the trip and lost her in Texas somewhere so guess I'll have to track down the resat of the trip when she gets time to post. Reminds me of the wifey - she has got to be a soul sister to my other.:D
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Less than three weeks and I'll be hittin the Dragon - Stage 1 installed and the bikes ready - just waitin for the weather man to get off his rear and get this crazy weather straightened out. Is it summer yet?;)
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

well sarge, it is spring going on summer here in southeast texas....bluebonnets
    i full bloom......70/80 temps..........
  20. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Temp is getting about right in Northeast Alabama, but, having to contend with the rain and about 6 weeks of having the crud......Ready to Ride!!!!
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009