1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Great Smokey Mountain Bike Week

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by sarge7, Feb 3, 2009.

1. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Been reading all the posts about bike week in Smokies - Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg (I guess some of it leaks over there too). We live about 1 1/2 hours away towards Bristol just off I-81 in a little town called Blountville (just the way we like it). We like going down just for the day occassionally. I just crossed the 1K miles on the Heritage a few weeks back so this would be a good trip to go before going to Rolling Thunder. We miss alot of the traffic by going from 81 to 40 towards NC and get off at Newport and go to Sevierville that way. Knocks off a bunch of traffic plus it's a good road. Only got about two really sharp curves that you meet yourself in. Anyhow, I may see if my wife wants to come down if only for a day.
    Danny
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Danny- Come on down and enjoy! - Should be a good way to put some serious miles on your ride and have a little fun while doing it. Look foreward to seeing ya there.:D
  3. new20fan

new20fan New Member

Be Careful On Da Dragon

just to give ya all a tennessee heads up, if going durning week, watch out for delivery trucks...BIG ENS!!!.... gets tight around them there curves......not a bad idea to go to u tube punch up deals gap....dragon and watch some of da action.........fun as hell to ride..i did it on a 1993 dynalowrider...heavy little buger she is but fun...just watch out...go watch some of the u tube stuff...the roads are only so wide and da trucks are big...u do da math,,,something is going to give...i think it is how a couple got killed last year...a pu truck carring a camper or boat had both lanes and they hit da boat or camper...real bad deal.........but by all means ride it...318 curves in 11 miles!!! wow..i was drunk by da time i got to deals gap!!!!!! WOW...and da devil's triangle is cool too...also a might tricky in da daytime with da coal trucks barreling down da mountain..also some driveways wash out into da road...gravel city!!! ouch....careful is da word, and enjoy.....some of us would like to ride with ya next year too!!!! a little unknow mabey...devel's traingle is around peteross...a prison...where james earl ray lived and died!!!! for what ever it's worth!!!!...you will have something to talk about when ya get home....if ya ever decide to go back home!!!!!...good luck and LIVE TO RIDE ,RIDE TO LIVE!!! if ya happen to see a black lowrider, tenn plates...holler, we will drink one or two..might even find ya some moon!! wee he!!!!!!!
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Be keepin a eye out for ya.:)
  5. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I'M IN THE WRONG STATE :gah: - SEND SOME OF THAT WEATHER UP HERE!;)
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

come on down sarge...........lots of open spaces to squat on!!!!!!
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Got my wish granted :) - Sat 77 high plenty of sun and 200+ miles before the rain started back in. And only 13 more days till The BIG RUN to Tenn. - I think I'm in Heaven ! - Or a state of confusion ! - Never could get those two right.:roflmao: :roflmao:
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad to hear your weather is turning for the better!!!!!!!!
  9. allen5454

allen5454 New Member

Sorry, to say GSMBW has been cancelled til June 17-21. They have combine it with another bike week just found out and had to change my reservations. Thought I would give you a heads up.
  10. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Thanks for the heads up. I may take a day during the week and ride down just for the sheer enjoyment of it.
    Danny
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Allen5454 - Where did you pick up that info?
  12. Mayor

Mayor New Member

I just called Smokey Mountain Harley in Pigeon Forge, Tn........They will have SOME venders and some rides, but, most of it has been hooked onto the Feel the Thunder Firefighters Rally in Pigeon Forge, June 17-21......We had planned to make both rally`s.....That is all the information I could find Sarge.....guess you are like us, already have resevations for May 7-10....Sucks.....Guess we will take in Maggie Valley this weekend instead.......Weather is gonna be nice and have not made that rally yet....It is in NC. about 40 miles from Pigeon Forge across the mountain close to Cherokee......

Sorry Sarge....:rant:
  13. Mayor

Mayor New Member

This rally on May 7-10 is listed with the same greatsmokeymountainbikeweek.com as the one on June 17-21, but, neither will give you any information.....We may just go and enjoy it on 7-10....Never have had a bad time up there anyway and may be a great many bikes there ......Guess I will wait till the "first lady" tells me what we are going to do when she gets home....:D :roflmao: I really don`t want to rock the boat and this is her first major trip on the Trike....Maggie Valley is (I think) a little more "hard core" than the Great Smokey Mountain.......
  14. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

NEW UPDATE - Was contacted by the Rally sponsers and informed the date HAS been moved to June 17-21 at the same time that the firefighters rally is being held. Since we already have our reservations set for the motel we will be coming down anyway.
    If any of you are still coming that week we will see ya there. It also probably won't be so crowded; so a better run on the Dragon and the Triangle would be expected.
    Sure was a let down that they waited so long to announce the date date change but what the heck it's the ride that counts -not the destination.
    I think that's the weekend that Cherokee has that rally also and it's just over the mountain from Pigeon Forge; so I can add that ride into my plans.
  15. Mayor

Mayor New Member

That made up my mind....We will catch you next weekend.......Hope the weather is as good as it will be this weekend....

I may have it messed up, but, I think Cherokee is this weekend with Maggie Valley. Wife left it up to me, so, if you are comming May 7-12 then we will catch you there......Bet there will be a lot there anyway!!! We are staying in Sevierville......Super 8 (I think)
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Mayor - Glad to hear that - looking foreward to meeting you and the missus; my wife sure was disapointed cause she thought I was going to cancel out but being the nice guy; I "let" talk me into going anyway. Little did she know - it's not the destination - It's the ride! that counts. But lets not let the gals know all our secrets.:roflmao:
  17. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Change in Plans for GSMBW - Had to resch. my plans due to unexpected problems cropping up at the homestead.
    Will be going down to Pigeon Forge on June 14-21st instead. Hope you all can make it then.
  18. Mayor

Mayor New Member

We will catch you in June....we will be within walking distant of each other!!!

Every weekend looks like a bike week in Pigeon Forge!!
  19. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Got our motel changed and will be headed that way for the 14th to the 21st.
    Was gonna run I75 all the way but got to lookin at some road west of 75 - it appears to be the route I'm going on - Less traffic and more little towns to go through - but the ride should be worth the extra time - mileage varys by about 25 miles further but I think it would be a better run. Told the better half that we'll be leavin a day early so I have plenty of time to stop and rest if needed and if I have to I can hit a motel on the way. It's great not havin to worry about punchin a time clock anymore.
    Guess that makes me an offical old geezer now.!:)
  20. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Anybody in the Kentucky - Tenn. area know anything about US 27 through your part of the country - any info would be helpful.
    Thanks!