1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

great weather . . . great rides . . . bad back

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by joshbob, Apr 12, 2014.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Finally got a little stretch of nice weather and went for a couple of rides yesterday - one to see my chiropractor :rolleyes:. Bike is running fine and my new runway is a success. Woke up this morning and back was throbbing with pain. It's been like that every morning for three weeks now. Lots of Ibuprofen knocks the edge off. Doc says it's gonna be some time before this new injury heals.

But I'm going out again today for another ride or two, just not as far. Doc says to go for it.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Interesting place to put this thread. Yep, riding that hard tail sure helps the back huh? :D

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Try some Aleve liquid caps. I have chronic lower back for years when I feel it starting I take 2 before bed and wake up good. It also helps big time with the knee. A lot less Aleve needed over that ibuprofen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Whiskey, :)

Loosens yea up
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Slow but steady JB. Hope it goes your way.
  6. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I'm seriously considering a Spinal Cord stimulator because of my bad back. I was born with a bad one and at my age it is now just about shot. But I'm a coward. I had a test once where they just wanted a little fluid to do some tests on and I ended up with such a bad migraine headache that it scares me to go through something that could do it again. I mean it was so bad they had to put me in the hospital to monitor it and me. It sounds like it might help(the stimulator) but there is no guarantee.
  7. joshbob

If it's set up right it's not bad at all - and mine is set up right, with a sprung seat and a slightly underinflated rear tire. I suspect it's those sofa-sized seats that most bikes have that make the difference in the comfort level.
    And yes, my doc says ride it - he says the vibrations promote bone growth and muscle tone - a necessity for backs like mine. Physical and mental therapy at the same time; how can I go wrong :D? The ride is the adventure and had a good one yesterday and going out again today :cool:.
  8. Fatboy128

Sounds like they took too much spinal fluid. A friend of mine has a problem with too much fluid. The body isn't absorbing it as more is naturally produced. The docs started by ducking some out and he was in the hospital with terrible headaches. Now he has a shunt (pressure relief valve ) in his skull to let excess fluid out. Crazy shirt.

9. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

You are right I think. I actually did not close up so I was leaking. They had to do something called a blood patch. Had to stay over night to make sure I stopped leaking. All I know is it took about 8 hours for the headache to START calming down. I felt fat headed all the next day. So having someone poke a hole to place a stimulator is just scaring the heck out of me. I see the doc next week to see if my concerns are warranted.
  10. Fatboy128

Anything to do with or near spinal cord is dangerous. I neighbor went in for a kidney and he came hom paralyzed in the legs. The docs started telling him it was in his head. When he described that he had a spinal to numb him got the operation and thT they poked him several times in the spine and each time he felt like he was get electrocuted I told him they f'd up his spinal cord. His wife took him into NYC and they then told h what I said. Poor guy can't walk anymore and we moved before I found out how his lawsuit worked out

11. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

That really sux...That is why I try to avoid surgery if I can...
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I had to what was called a Myelogram procedure done back in 1978 when I was in a boiler explosion. That procedure required them going in with two large needles. They drew some spinal fluid out then injected dye into my spinal column. I was laying stark naked face down on this table and they would rotate it back and forth making the dye to travel up towards your head then back. They found a ruptured disk with fragments spread around. This was before all the new procedures of today. When they pulled them out I was told I had to lay flat on my back for 24 hours. So a male nurse took me back up to my room and said OK jump off and get into bed. Because of that I had the worst headache I have ever had. It felt like my brain was sitting on bone. Told the DR and he was lets say very upset with the male nurse. That was my first back surgery with a long scare of about 8 inches long. Its a wonder I never got paralyzed from all that.
  13. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I think it's safe to say you had a migraine bucko. Worst headache you can have.
  14. Fatboy128

From what I've been told it's Worse it has to due with an in balance of the spinal fluid that the brain sits in. A friend had it and he was real close to suicide from the head pain

15. Fatboy128

Holy chit. Now in Baltimore on way back to Long Island it's 40f !!!! WTH!!

16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Guess you won't be needing that helmet except for running the snow blower!
  17. Fatboy128

Ha. Yep I guess that will be the case. Plus dem icycles hurt da head

18. joshbob

Around freezing the past few mornings here. This morning is a little better at 36. By Friday it should be warm enough for a putt to the chiropractor LOL.

There has been improvement as I don't need to take pain meds anymore.
  19. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Back into the freezer again...
  20. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

And they call this Global Warming. What a bunch of quakes!!!!!