1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gun Control

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Dec 17, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Obama is on now talking about the majority of Americans support the banning of assault weapons and high capacity magazines for guns. Better get you AR type rifle now.
    He is going to ban any military type killing rifle as he stated. He is going to use all the powers of his office to stop this violence with these type of guns.
    He also wants mental health to be better, wow about time.

Better get a gun while you can
  2. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I believe americans can and should own guns but not military style weapons.
    There's no reason for it.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

When you think about it, years ago it didn't take much for a person or kid to get put away in an institution because of some personality defect, even very minor ones. I'm not saying it was all right for that but then it swung the other way, it is almost impossible to get someone put away for a mental issue. How can it be handles better, the fact that a person who is afraid for their safety, who wishes to own a gun or many guns for protection (or sport even) to be able to SAFELY own them with a mentally handicapped individual in the same household??? Of course those guns could be rendered un-useable to anyone but the rightful owner but to do that eliminates the availability to have personal protection readily available if needed. I don't see any easy answers here. I do feel that woman was very careless and indeed responsible for this maniac to have access to the guns. One could say that he would have somehow gotten a gun which is true. But we can only assume this. Facts are with the mentally ill, and from what people who new this family say, this kid was lucid most of the time. That in any given moment he could go off. And in that moment he had easy access to the guns. I don't know, it's tough. I'm all for the right to bear arms, don't get me wrong. How do we limit access to mentally deficient individuals????
  4. FLHTbiker

There are many competition shooting and matches for legal owners of these type of rifles. They are also excellent rifles for deer hunting and great in the brush. They would have to be used with a 5 round only mag here in Oregon for hunting. This is fine cause if you can't hit a deer in the first one or second shot the animal will be gone, guaranteed. I've hunted deer with a single shot black powder rifle and taken many with one shot. But, I don't hunt with a black powder in the thick western Oregon jungle type brush with all the rain.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Tommy yer scaring me man...

So you're ok with banning all Glock handguns, all Sig Sauer hand guns
    the Marines now use 1911's, so that's ok too. any 9mm would be banned, basically all firearms have military background

I'm not for banning anything, there isn't any reason
    it's a simpleminded agenda that believes that banning is going
    to change this situation

Lets look at the Oregon Mall and CT shootings and why the ban wouldn't work.

1) neither shooter obtained the firearms in a legal manner
    2) neither shooter bought the guns using proper channels
    3) the CT shooter wasn't of age to legally purchase
    4) both stole guns from someone, one a relative

So tell me, how that ban would have stopped these
    actions, do you think because an AR tactical style rife
    was not available they wouldn't pick up a ruger 10/22
    and several magazines and do the same?

Why would they then not get a Glock and 5 10 round mags
    they already carried hundreds of rounds, all they need are more
    mags.

While nobody wants these shootings to happen
    explain to me exactly how your ban on military weapons
    would have stopped the situation..

My suggestion, eliminate gun free zones,
    two of these actions were in no gun zones
    the movie theater had a ban on CCW and we know the
    school was locked down, the shooter took out a window
    to get in, and of course nobody inside was armed.

How do they defend themselves without going to jail

The fact is in both cases the criminal doesn't care
    about your gun laws and never will, only the lawful
    care, and that's the problem...

yes hunting is fine. Look these are semi auto rifles,
    no different than a little ruger 10/22 rifle that's been
    around for 50 years, and 5 round mags for hunting
    are available.

So you'd be ok with outlawing every ruger 22 rifle too.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html

Other than "appearance" both these rifles operate and shoot
    exactly the same way, magazine load, 22 LR, pull trigger
    shoot, pull again, shoot again.

It's only aesthetics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. FLHTbiker

She should have had a gun safe with those guns in the safe. Yes, she was irresponsible for leaving them laying around, especially when she even told the guy that would baby sit her son to not turn his back on him or don't leave him alone even if you need to go to the bathroom. Now that is a pretty scary. It's not the gun or the guns manufactures fault but I believe the fault lays entirely on her for leaving them around for him to easily access them.
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I didnt say banning certain guns would stop any specific situation.
    I said there's no real necessary reason for a civilian to own a military style weapon. Not full auto ARs, M16s not granades, mortars, tanks, plastic explosives, missles, bombs, etc.
  8. hotroadking

Do we know they were laying around?
    Do we know she didn't have a safe?

What if they were packing to go to the range
    which has been reported as an activity she enjoyed.

DO NOT SHIFT BLAME FROM THE SHOOTER! this is the game they try
    and get you to play, the problem is the mind behind the finger, not the mom
    dad, school teacher. The kid had MENTAL issues, in fact I read where the mother
    was working on having him committed for care, he was outside her control.

Now if that is the case she should have removed the firearms from
    the home and stored them at an LGS until he was committed, but for
    20 years he's just been a problem, maybe getting worse.

So here we have rational people calling for gun bans
    because they "NEED" to do "Something" bullshidt
    and they can't put the shooter in jail or the mother in jail

Focus people...the problem is mental health and families
    that ignore responsibilities in dealing with mentally ill people.
  9. FLHTbiker

Tommy you can't own a full auto weapon in this country which is what a real military ARs or other same type weapons are. The AR type guns here are only Semi- Auto guns that are allowed to be used and purchased.

So what constitutes a military style or style weapon...looks.
  10. hotroadking

Guess I'm a little sensitive to anyone agreeing to let these politicians
    do jack shidt with our rights, and believe me if Zero can he will, he'd dump the 2nd in a noo yawk second.

I can understand that, but tell me this, how many deaths
    murders, mass killings have occurred in your lifetime with a military
    style weapon.

Now we could say Kennedy because of the Mauser style bolt action
    and the killings at Texas by WHitman because he used an M1 Carbine
    interesting enough WHitman went through severe depression, was discharged dishonorably from the Marines, had beaten his wife 3 times, was afraid he was becoming his dad, a wife beater. Hmm Mental illness

Who's been killed on us soil with any automatic weapon, none that I can think of off the top of my head.

How about this, last year we legally murdered 1.2 million kids in the USA.
    1.2 million abortions every year take the life of kids. Maybe we should outlaw
    sex....

How about the Clown Killer, John Wayne Gacy no guns killed 33 boys, raped, beaten and killed in his basement, we should outlaw any type of Clown suits, or character suits to be worn by non employees of the licensed rep of the Character, that way no Ronald McDonalds can go to playgrounds, or Burger King, or Clowns, fairy, so kids won't be killed.

You simply can't ban everything until you figure out it's the person not the item.

This kid hadnt taken a gun he'd have taken a bomb and killed everyone in the school...
  11. FLHTbiker

No I completely feel the kid was to blame.. He was the worst irresponsible peace of dirt bag insane scumbag you can get. As reported they had not been going to the gun for 6 months or more. She was looking into trying to get him help either by a mental institution or what remains to be found out. I also blame the system for not putting him away a long time ago when she initially tried. That kid was a very angry kid with a explosive type attitude. I would have been scared of him to and even been afraid to fall asleep at night without the door being locked.
    It was said in one report that she did not lock up the guns and nothing has been reported about to,the contrary. So it seems that he had access to them and he did know how to use them.
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

People get killed with ARs all the time. The 2 california bank robbers, gang bangers in Miami, Chicago, LA, etc.
    I own and have owned plenty and I have a CCW license so it's not about taking away anyone's rights. It's about justifing the need for us to have these weapons. There isn't any good reason unless maybe you think the chinese airbourne rangers are going to drop into your local Walmart parking lot and start asassinating JimBob and Mary Sue.
  13. FLHTbiker

Well I see you didn't read my post to you. :rolleyes:
  14. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Crazy people will always find a way to kill or injury someone innocent. There's no way to stop that.
  15. hotroadking

Bing Bing Bing

we have a winner, once people get past the initial shock
    and understandably the horror of this they will begin to
    see the real issue isn't rights restriction, it's mental health
    laws...
  16. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Of course you can own full auto weapons. All it takes is money and a permit. You can legally buy and own a 12" long sawed off shot gun too.
  17. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I thought I said that HRK?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  18. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I think you are confused buddy. Banning certain weapons is not the same as taking away you right to bear arms.
    Explain to me why you would need a .50 caliber sniper rifle that can kill someone a mile away? or why would you need a bullet proof vest? or C4 or hand grenades?
  19. FLHTbiker

Hmmm, I thought we were discussing semi auto assault type rifles not grenades and 50 cal sniper rifles. Hmmmm

Well I have a black powder rifle in 54 cal that would have been used as a sniper rifle in its time, guess it to should be banned.
  20. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

FYI, this:
    Product Description One of the world's most popular military and law enforcement carbine models, the Bushmaster M4 features the distinctive M4 barrel profile and a six-position telestock for ease of deployment. The Bushmaster A3 Patrolman's Carbine is modeled after their U.S. Military and law-enforcement utilized M4 Carbines, but with additional barrel length to make them legal for sale to individuals. The 5.56mm/.223 Rem. calibered 16-inch barrel is chrome-lined in both bore and chamber for long wear life and ease of maintenance. For control of muzzle flash and muzzle rise in rapid fire, a "birdcage" type suppressor is factory installed. A mil. spec. manganese phosphate outer coating insures protection against corrosion or rust on the barrel and all critical steel parts of the weapon. The telestock, pistol grip and two piece handguards are all molded of strong black thermoset composite material and the handguards are internally shielded against barrel heat build-up. The dual aperture M16A2 rear sight system on the Patrolman's Carbine offers both windage and elevation adjustment calibrated in meters. The rifle weighs just 6.7 pounds and has a 1 in 9 right-handed twist. Shipped complete with 30-round magazine, a safety and operations manual, and a carrying sling. Check state and local regulations before purchasing