1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gun S H O W

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 14, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

After years of talkin to Police officers, Sheriffs that worked at the Pistol ranges for officers. And DEA and people who have friends that work as border patrol agents and after ownin one I do not want a 9mm
    A 40 has much more knock down power to it.
    They told me about Big people hopped up on drugs like meth shootin at them and running. And when they was shot with a 9mm they never stopped shootin at the Police or running.

AT the gun show. you could have your pick of 9mm pistols. The vendors said we thought we would sell more 9mm than anything else.
    The XDM Compacts was all gone. Period.

Everybody bought 40 and 45.
    The 9mm is what everybody got their wifes or girlfriends that couldn't handle a pistol.
    My wife has a 9mm cause she can't **** a 40 and the recoil is too much for her little hands and wrists.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hollow points do a lot of damage even in a 9mm. Besides I got a XD Springgield in 40 :D. I really like the feel of the grip on the XD.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. cardboard

My Brother in law has a XD 40

The XDM has a different grip and the XDM has a match grade barrel.
  4. FLHTbiker

My XD will get a trigger job and will be used for home defense. I'm still looking at a XDM sub-compact or a M&P compact for carry. The XD model I picked up new for 422.00 came in a kit and when I took it to the range I fired 50 rounds through it. Shoots better than I can hold it. Took a target and put it out to 15 yards and put 20 rounds all in the black. With a trigger job I'll put em all in the 10 and 10X ring. Good enough for me.
    Me and Maddog are gonna go shooting as soon as he gets his colt back from the gunsmith. :D
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I hear the same BS about caliber all the time.

If you are LEO and deal with the dregs in the worst part of town
    and they wear body armor then you need a penetrating round a
    357Sig round with 1700 fps uses a 9mm bullet in a 40 cartridge necked
    down and will go through two car doors, the people inside, and come out the other
    side.

45 does good but it's a slower round, bigger hit,
    but you are limited in capacity.

My XDm has 19+1 it's about accuracy and quantity.

A 22 magnum will make a heck of a hole and kill the target
    just as much.

Thing is 90% of first 5 rounds miss, doesn't matter your
    range ability, when the stress hits and you have to get cover
    and put down suppression fire you need capacity.

It's different if the target is shooting back..
  6. FLHTbiker

If there shooting back then that means you missed, better hit em the first time. Keep a clear head and make first shot count. 9mm hollow point will get there faster and open em up. When there reloading time to move in with the 9mm and finish them off.:D
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

You guys would give NY politicians brain bleeds! :roflmao:
  8. cardboard

WE still have Cowboys in Texas:D
  9. cardboard

Stole this from somebody else.

I will never understand how folks can talk garbage and parrot opinions about ballistics.
    I'm looking through the Speer reloading manual and it lists the following:
    9mm - 124 gr. HP at 1238 fps
    .40 - 155 gr. HP at 1221 fps
    So, how can the .40 be slow and weak when it delivers a heavier bullet at virtually the same speed?

also........

.40 - 180 gr. HP at 1027
    .45 - 185 gr. HP at 1047
    These are also similar and the .45 is an acknowledged stopper but the .40 still gets a bad rap.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep make the first one count , then go get a cold beer :cool:
  11. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I carry the XD 40 sub-compact, 3" barrel, in the winter and a S&W 642 Airweight 38 spl+p in the summer. The XD is a great gun. The Airweight is real nice too, Aluminum alloy frame, stainless steel barrel and cylinder. Weighs in at just 15 oz loaded. Barrel is 1 7/8". Rapid fire at 10 yards, 5 for 5 in a 5" grouping. With a little practice using speed loaders, you can reload almost as fast as a semi-auto.
  12. FLHTbiker

9mm Luger Ammo Testing & Ballistics
    Even though the recoil of the 9mm Luger is much less than the 40 S&W or 45 ACP, you will be surprised at the results on the business end. You will now understand why the 9mm Luger was adopted by NATO, the U.S. Military, and close to a million police officers worldwide. The 9mm Luger has 35% more muzzle energy than the 38 special, 10% more muzzle energy than the 44 special, and rivals the energy of hot 45 ACP loadings. For longer distances, the 9mm Luger is flatter shooting than the 40 S&W or 45 ACP. The 9mm is no sissy cartridge.
    Since the lessons learned at the Miami shootout fiasco, the FBI performance requirements for an ideal cartridge must have bullet expansion of .50" (1/2 inch) or more, and at least 12 inches of penetration in bare and clothed ballistic gelatin. Bullet penetration should not exceed 18 inches depth. 12 to 15 inches is considered the ideal range.

The 9mm Luger meets these requirements with quality ammunition just as good as the .40 S&W and 45 ACP. The FBI 9mm test don't lie! Any brand of premium 9mm 124gr or 147gr JHP has the stopping power do the job!
    Your Captian, Chief, or sheriff may be old school and remember some of the 9mm pistols from 20 years ago that were cheap made or very heavy. He may also remember the crappy 9mm ammo from 20 years ago too. This is why so many officers are required to carry lower capacity 40 S&W or 45 ACP pistols, even though you may run out of ammo in a gunfight. The FBI has tested todays 9mm ammo and it has proven to be just as terminal as 40 S&W or 45 ACP. Cops carry 9mm pistols In Europe, Russia, Japan, China, Korea, India, and the middle east.
  13. cardboard

The bullet from the 40 is bigger than the 9
    And traveling early as fast
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

in most posts .....you were always bitchin, moanin, groanin, about leo's...and how ya hate em,dont want nutin to do with them, wishin they would leave you alone......and now your tellin us just how cozy ya was gettin with em?.......:wtf: is up with THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. cardboard

Who was the sheriff in the Bass Club.
    I run into and talk with em.

They are everwhere.
    People I know has them over to their house too.

I hate tickets and they watchin me like I'm a criminal.

Sure if you came on 59 this weekend you might be upset at em. The speedlimit drops from 70 to 55
    cause there is a small service station there.

If you gonna build a interstate put it up off the ground and let folks drive.
    Screw this constantly slowing down because of a little town.
    Git off the ramp to go into the little town if you want to call Goodrich that.
  16. cardboard

17. cardboard

18. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

At the end of the video when he shoots all 3 rounds the 9mm goes thru 9 sheets and the 40 goes thru 8 sheets of plywood.
  19. FLHTbiker

Yea and cardboard is a little stubborn at times and don't listen. He forgets already that my XD Springfield I just picked up is a 40 cal:roflmao:
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

K
    I'll remember that the next time some plywood homies try and jack my pickup so they kin roll da hood looking fi some shidt to wood up dawg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk