1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gutting mufflers

Discussion in 'Projects' started by cowboy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I starting to gut a set of mufflers today (sorry no pic's ) forgot to take some will try tomorrow , Hove one just about done & will try to start the other tomorrow ,I bought this set a few weeks back like new but off a 95 & newer bagger from the PT #'s& there 4in tappered down to 3in at the end , all went well just slow so I don't mess up the out side , The hardest part was all that honey cone looking metel , I used a 3in hole saw for the end piece & started to drive in out with a 2in pipe & big hammer :D
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sounds just like me, I took a set of pipes apart and what fun. It had the cat in it which I cut out. finally pulled it apart removed the welded in place baffles and added in a set of my own. It had steel mesh in it and was wrapped in fiberglass. Worked good and used em till i sold the bike. :) Never told the buyer that they were altered.
  3. cowboy

mine will stay gutted , I'am going to run them with my big city baffles , I had a set before but one of my son's borrowed them & that was over a year ago so I'am making another set , I liked the sound , not to loud , had many people sayit sounded good , one guy wanted to trade a set of rineheart for them
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

get some pics.........:worthless:
  5. FLHTbiker

I agree I never took any pics when I did mine. They was ugly for awhile.
  6. cowboy

will try again tomorrow for the pic's battery was daed on the camara to day took all day to charge it , have the first muffler gutted & just started on the second one then had to stop 8 mo old greadson woke up , so back into the house :banghead:& on such a pretty day :rant:
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Am interested in seeing how you do the gutting, have a pair of mufflers I need to gut, was thinking of sending them to American Exhaust for that. But if I can do it at home all the better.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what he said!!!!!!:)
  9. cowboy

Here the tools of the trade :D the hole saw was used to cut the end out & then I drive the pipe down & out the other end

Attached Files:

10. FLHTbiker

That's kind of what mine looked like when I tore them apart. Did you cut the existing baffles out and if so are you going to put any kind of baffle back in or leave em straight through the center. Was there any packing around the outside screen? Cool pics wished I would have documented mine.
  11. cowboy

the baffles will come out there's two round plates the baffles run down the middle , & here all the stuff from one pipe all the waded looking stuff is the honey cone looking metel it was it the fat piese standing behing the baffle

Attached Files:

12. cowboy

The muffler will stay empty I'am going touse my big city thunder baffles :D
  13. FLHTbiker

Mine was a Harley muffler and had to grind the welds off at both ends to put em apart. After pulling em apart and cutting the baffles out I then tack welded in a big washer with a hole in it and placed it up towards the pipe entrance. Tack welded the mess back together and it worked pretty good and sounded real good. When I did it I was just seeing what I could do with them and that was my first time pulling a muffler apart.
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Thanks for the pictures and explanations, can you show the baffles and tell how long they are? How you plan to hold them in place? I have a set of Big City baffles but they are for V&H 2" pipes.
    FLHT what did your mufflers fit, didn’t you write about them in here a while back?
    Just looking for ideas.
  15. FLHTbiker

The ones I tore apart the first time where off a Ultra Classic. I made some brackets for a set of mufflers to fit my springer a while back and posted that on here.
  16. cowboy

here's the BCT baffles i'am going to use there for the stock pipes ,I use the before , but my son got the mufflers so I made another set

Attached Files:

17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Thanks guys,:D
  18. FLHTbiker

19. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Will that still give you enough restriction for the back pressure you need ?
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Thanks FLHT that is the one I was thinking about, I purchased a complete exhaust system off a Springer just like yours and intend to install it on one of the Fatboys we have. Only I want to use the stock mufflers. Hope to get started soon. But going riding today while it is nice supposed to snow tomorrow.