1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Had Some Work Done

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, May 31, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

JohnnyBiker isn't a flatlander or a straight road rider by any stretch of the imagination. Ask Ultra2009. Him, his wife, my wife and I took on some of Wisconsin's roads fully loaded and I will be doing it again here shortly. Pirelli Night Dragon tires grip and handle just fine in twisties and not even flinch. If I ever get the opportunity, you're on.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My point is to show you how well the Dunlop's handle in the corners. We could take you on curves and multiple corners that would blow your mind.
  3. JohnnyBiker

The area we were in was nothing to balk at by any stretch of the imagination. We had numerous hair pins that required major speed reduction but we just decided not too. Now add a passenger, being fully loaded and with 16" ape hangers. No way I feel comfortable doing that with Dunlops..

I am not discrediting Dunlops. I think they are a straight line tire in comparison to the Pirell's. My experience and comparing the two, I feel that Pirelli out performs the Dunlop in all categories but one. MILEAGE.
  4. wet4aline

wet4aline Member

Taking the fact that I ride a Fatboy soft tail mostly solo, modified the suspension with progressive monotubes In forks and progressive shock-springs rear, netted more ground clearance and better control in the twisties and drag my floorboards quite a bit and basically a "flat lander" have had only Dunlops for 35,000 miles this is my opinion on Dunlops.; they work well for me and wouldn't benefit any more from anything else. JMO for myself.

Ps. Tomorrow early AM I will be heading north for a few days into our mountains (not as big as you westerners have) and will be using those Dunlops quite hard in the mountain roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. FLHTbiker

Ha, Johnny that's the biggest bull I've ever heard. We don't ride on straight roads.

You have no idea how well the Dunlop's handle in real corners. We do it all the time. Two up does change the weight dynamics of how you ride in the corners but not talking about two up riding.
    We don't ride two up when we are laying them over in the corners, to much liability for someone's safety on that back seat.
    16 inch apes don't corner well either so who cares about how good the tires are then.
    My wife rides her own a trike and she can ride it into the corners better than most male riders on two wheels.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Never said night dragons were bad, just said the new Dunlop is really good and handling is on par with axons which are soft and round

You bike is older than 09 right? If so dunlops you would normally get are 402 and not a great corner tire I didn't care for the profile of the 402

The elites should be better,

Buddy Phil owns a shop hates metzler says he has more returns for defective tires from them than all others combined mostly from them coming apart in chunks exposing the core
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Will let you know how the metzlers hold up. I put 12000 miles on the original dunlops and had some real cupping issues with the resulting uneasy front end feel. Got 5000 on these metzlers but I find that they are very sensitive to proper air pressure. jury's out
  8. FLHTbiker

That was the only issue I ever had with the old Dunlop's was once they got a lot of miles on them they would tend to cup. Before that they were great.
    Hope your Metz tires hold up for you Bob.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Took my carb off last night. This is what I found.
    Yuck!
    uploadfromtaptalk1433411392211.jpg
  10. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Well I have to say that I never had an issue with my Metzler tire or my Avon on the older bike .Avon being my favorite. Stuck like glue.
  11. FLHTbiker

Had em both and they both failed me and the Metz almost killed me when it came apart on a 60 MPH sweeper corner. Dunlop's have never failed me and they are built tough.
  12. FLHTbiker

Did you have any oil in the filter?
  13. JohnnyBiker

Had oil in the filter. That is from countless rides getting into rain and washing it for me. The last time was 70 miles of wet riding.
  14. hotroadking

Generally oil in the filter is from blowby from the rocker box ports into
    the intake stream, do you route them into the air filter as is stock?

When this happens on a twin cam it's generally from extended runs or a lot of high speed higher rpm riding. It's the result of an improperly aligned oil pump

You need to check the pump alignment.
  15. baggerpaul

You forget who put that motor together.that pump was aligned perfect.bet ya the filter was dirty had some oil in it and he rode through a shit load of rain it washed dirt oil and water through that carb .that motor flows alot of air at hi way speeds it a big vacuum cleaner. And it's probably been three seasons since that backing plate has been off that motor .he don't like pulling that pain in the ass air cleaner off
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  16. JohnnyBiker

I don't like taking that thing off. IT SUCKS! That rain sock sucks ass too. I think I am going to try some scotch gaurd on it to see if it repeals water better than it does now.

It has been 3 years since I have pulled the carb off too.
  17. baggerpaul

18. JohnnyBiker

I am looking at a different set up for air cleaner. That' how much I hate it. Lol
  19. hotroadking

Well yeah. I figured it was effin cold and youse guys were working fast

Not much to get out of alignment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. FLHTbiker

Oil in the filter can also be a result of over filling. Not saying that's what you did but seen many riders who put to much oil in during a oil change. I never put a full 4 quarts in when doing a oil and filter change.