1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Handy Crafty

Discussion in 'Projects' started by SPORSTERBOY, Jan 23, 2008.

1. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

I appologize for my smart *ss reply to your stretched tank post. I didn't realize you were doing such an extensive build. (guess I've been away from the forum too long). I built a kit bike about 4 years ago, and even then there were a lot of fitment type issues to deel with. it was chalenging but fun and rewarding. Looks like you're doing a bang up job. Keep up the good work.
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

It's Ok Skyking, Had To Go Back To See What You Said Anyway. Next Step Of The Project Is That Electrical, Box. Think I'm Just Going To Square The Triangle Box Up And Mount It To A Bracket And Put It On The Back Side Of The Battery Box. I Have Plenty Of Room Between The Oil Tank And Battery. Sucks That I'll Have To Take Out The Battery Box If I Ever Need To Get To It, But It Will Be Hidden. I 'm Hackin Away At The Stock Rear Fender. I Got The Sides Cut Off Making It 7" Still Inprogress. I'm Still Dealing With The Rear Axle Spaceing. I Cut Down The Brake Side To Get The Nut To Go On Flush With A Washer, Which Offset The Tire. I Only Have About A 1/8" Gap From The Pulley And The Frame And It Looks Like It's Inline With The Front Drive Pulley, So I Can Only Get About A 1/16 Off The Spacer. Still Hard To Say, I Still Need To Get The Axle Stop Bolts To Fully Tighten The Belt. Might All Be A Illussion.
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Hey Sporsterboy, (I'm sure you already know this, but I like to add my .02 if/when I can), I used a steel straight edge to line up my front and rear pulleys, with a clamp to keep it on while I checked things out with my mic. When I did my wide tire kit, I got the front and rear to within .003 of being perfectly straight. Actually not bad for a first timer. :D Keep those pics coming....
  4. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Here Are Some Shots Of The Fender I've Been Hacking Away At. Remember That It Was The Stock Fender. Had Alot Of Holes To Plug Up. Still Need To Make Some Mounts For It. Took That 1/8" Off That Pulley Side Spacer. Seemed To Have Worked, I Still Have Gap From The Pulley And Frame, Not Much. I Tried To Use A Straight Edge For The Alingnment, But There Isn't Enough Room To Put The Edge On Both Sides Of The Rear Pulley Due To The Frame. I'm Going To Go Buy Some Axle Stop Adjuster Bolts Today, Then Maybe I Can Get A Better Look At It Once The Belt Is Tight. AND I DID FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THE PICS BIGGER, JUST CLICK ON THEM.

Attached Files:

5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice BIG pics!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That's f*cking awesome Sporsterboy, now I can really see what you're doing....Looks awesome bro! If I can't ride mine, I can at least watch you build yours! :D
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

really looks good SB why ridgid I think thats what it looked like I'll look again
  8. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Dang it, is there such a thing as fender envy :roflmao: . I liked the chop on my 05 rear fender but this chop is badd @$$. That is one sick sweet bike you are building. Any ideas on colors yet?
  9. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Ih, It's A Rigid, Wanted To Build A Chopper Out Of The Piglit. When Funds Are A Issue, Doing A Build Out Of A Sporty Is The Way To Go. I Decided That Instead Of Buying A Big Twin I Would Just Trick Out The Piglit. Looks Like I Will Prob. Flip That Fender Around And Put The Cut End Going Towards The Frame. I Didn't Plan On Taking The Fender Down All The Way To The Mount At The Bottom Of The Frame. One Reason Is It's Not Long Enough After Hacking On It. Any Way I Would Have To Cut Out A Big Chunk For Belt Clearance. I Didn't Like The Way It Would Look So I Saw Some Pic's And Decided To Do A Bob Or Half Fender Look. I'm Also Thinking About Putting The Stock Tank Back On. Amazingly It Fits Perfect. The New Tank Has To Much Stretch For The Frame. So I Would Have To Put It On Top Of The Back Bone. Or Leave The Front Droped And Raise The Rear. Which All Looks Funny. Then The Petcock Dosen't Line Up, So I Would Have To Cut That Motor Mount Holding The Two Jugs Together. Then The Crossover For The Gas Is At The Bottom Back Of The Tank Meaning I Would Have To Run A Gas Line Over The Rocker Box. {boom! Instant Ghost Rider} I Could Always Cut The Tank Down, But I Sure Hate To Hack Away On Something New. Better Off Selling It And Buy Something Else. I'll Know For Sure Here In A Couple Weeks. I'm Buying The Front End Next Week. I'm Going With A 41mm Wide Glide 8" Over With A 3 Deg Rake. Was Gonna Go With A 6 Over But For The Same Price I Can Get A 8, I Figure With The 3 Deg Rake In It, It Will Drop The Bike Back Down, To Put It At A 6 Over Hieght. But For Now I'm Just Going To Work On The Electrical Stuff, Find A Place For It.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sound's like you have it all together there , on the front end did you get judt the triple tree set up or the whole front end ? I've seen the WG front end's on the sporty & they look good
  11. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Yep, The Hole Front End. As For The Color, Still Don't Know Yet. Black Or Red. Been Thinking Of Try'n That Paint That Changes Color In The Light, Still In The Air. Modified The Electrical Box With Some Brackets Last Night. Going To Install That Today. Then Move On To The Coil. Have To Make A Bracket For That To Mount It On The Side Like A Big Twin. Can't Believe How Hard It's Been To Find Some 5/16 Fine Thread Hardend Bolts, Been To 3 Places Already. Gonna Try Ace Today And Get What Ever They Have. We Have A Heat Treater At Work So I Just Might Harden Them Myself. Have To Get That Belt Tightend So I Can Work More On The Fender Placement.
  12. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

If Your Familiar With That Triangle Electrical Box On The Stock Sporty, Then You'll Get The Idia, I Cut 2 Of The Mounts Off Of It And Made It Square, Saved One Mount And Cut Nobby Off To Expose The Threaded Insert, Drilled A Hole On The Bottom, Took A 1x1x1/8 Piece Of Angle, Drilled A Hole For It And Welded It To The Frame, I Bolted The Top To The Extra Length Of Slot From The Battery Box Bracket, It's A Small Tuck In Shot For A Pic. Did The Best For Ya. Those Axle Stop Bolts Were Actually A 3/8-24, Still Had Problems Finding Any So I Got Some That Were 4" Long And I'll Just Have To Put Them On The Lathe To Thread Them All The Way.

Attached Files:

13. chucktx

sb....i get most of my hardened/chrome fastners from a company called "". they are nationwide, might be one near you.....

Locations | Fastenal

...:)
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

is that box water proof ? it look's like a good job , but also look's in the pic to be exposed to road grime
  15. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

THE FUSES ARE IN THE BOX ALL SEALED THE OTHER STUFF IS JUST A BREAKER AND A SNAP TOGETHER CONECTER. THE BOLTS I GOT CHUCK ARE GRADE 8, HAVE TO LOOK INTO THAT PLACE. STUFF FLY'N UP MY A$$ IS A CONCERN SINCE I'M USEING THE OLD FENDER. MIGHT HAVE TO BREAK DOWN AND BUY THAT $35 FLAT FENDER:banghead:
  16. Brandersnatch

Brandersnatch New Member

Looking very nice, can't wait to see it finished.
  17. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Got The Front End Today So Had To Put It On. Had Some Spaceing Issues With The Neck So I Had To Go Get Some Washers, I Decided To Go With The Stock Tank, One It Fits Right In And Also That Vent Line Issue. The Other Tank Was Just To Long For The Frame. So Now I Just Have The Kickstand And Spacers For The Front Tire To Make Also The Mounting Of The Tank And Seat And Fender Also Got A Maltese Tail Lite For My Side Mount Plate. Oh Cant Forget Have To Make A Rear Sissy Bar. And Mounts For A Passenger Foot Pegs. Comeing Along Hope To Be Done By Next Month Ready To Paint. Think I'm Going To Stick With The Red This Year.

Attached Files:

18. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Made The Spacers For The Front Tire, Came Out Good. Come To Find Out Now The Front Brake Doesn't Line Up With The Mounting Holes. Guess Since I Have To Space It I'll Make Some Kinda Bracket Instead. Pulled It Off The Jack And It Sits Scarry Low. About 2" In The Rear And 3" In The Front, Good Thing I Got The Longer Forks For That Extra Inch In The Front. Next Is To Figure Out The Kickstand, Been Thinking Of Just Buying A Bmx One And Making A Mount.
  19. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

You could always go old school and not have a front brake. :D Yeah me either, with all the other work you have done so well I am sure this won't even slow ya down man. Bike is giving me Sporty Envy LOL.
  20. chucktx

wow, you sure are making good progress.........looks great. thanks for the updates, it is cool following somebodys build!!!!:)