1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hard Starting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jazzhog, Apr 25, 2008.

1. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

if i were in your situation i'd run that start up procedure past the folks at the steeler. HD claims if you don't let the efi complete the cycle it will throw a code and cause problems. personlly i'd believe HD over those brain surgeons at PC:devil:
  2. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

You guy's are correct on the vibration issue at high RPM's but in comparison to the evo, to me is as smooth as silk. And the issue on the Starting procedure I tried both ways and the bike seems to start better without waiting. Now yesterday I tried to start and no luck so I just walked away I went to Harley and bought the crank p sensor it is an easy replacement and not very expensive. That might solve the problem and if not, well I've eliminated one process. Thanks guys...:banghead:
  3. duke76

duke76 New Member

If it starts better, who gives a crap what the dealer says, they will try to blame the hard starting on the pc3 in the first place, and tell you that you need a sert if anything and then 4 hours of dyno tuning. The dealer looks out for the dealer, what would you expect them to say, my 2 cents Todd
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

good point, and well taken. the only person who really cares more about your bike than money is you:devil:
  5. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

OK, Guys here it is in a nut shell. I replaced the crank P sensor I changed the oil and the spark plugs, recharged the battery I also remapped the PC and the bike is still hard to start. I don't know but it seems to be fuel related when I cranked it up I kind had to prime the throttle for it to start.

Someone said I should replace the fuel filter that is inside the fuel tank. My question with that is if it was the fuel filter wouldn't the bike run badly? Ones the bike is running the bike runs great no pops, no flat spots it just responds great right thru the rpm range. I'm thinking that maybe is the fuel injectors in the throttle body are probably dirty or full of carbon or something along them lines. When I pulled the air cleaner to it looks kind of black inside. What do you think? "JAZZ" :rant:
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

you'll have fun replacing that fuel filter, which i doubt is the problem
  7. duke76

duke76 New Member

when you repalced the crank sensor, does it have the correct gap, I think it is supposed to have .020-.035 gap but dont quote me on that because it is off the top of my head, take a look at the manual for sure. Todd
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

OK i only scanned the posts and i haven't seen any thing on your posts so i will ask one quick question ...... what octane and quaility of gas are you running?
  9. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Todd... How in the world would you check the gap on a crank sensor? It seems to me that take old out put new in is a no brainer...:confused:
  10. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I only run premium on my bike that is what the dealer said to run so that is what I always put in the tank... Sunoco 94 whenever I can but at least 93 octane. Why is this important? I might had run regular ones or twice when I dint have much choice if you know what I mean...
  11. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I think your right I don't think that's what it is also. But what do you think about the black carbon looking stuff in the fuel injection throttle body?:witsend:
  12. duke76

duke76 New Member

Jazz, here ya go,

Harley Tech Talk
  13. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

not exactly sure, seems it could be a number of things, could be excessive backpressure, maybe a leaky exhaust valve, rings, or just normal after a number of miles. i doubt it has anything to do with your staring problem. i'm thinking that your starting problem has to do with a lack of fuel at start up. try removing your air cleaner spray a sm amount of starting fluid and see if it starts right up. try to stay focused.
  14. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

if you run a lot of low grade alot of high alcohol boosters, ethonol or the sum of any other things could contribute to fuel problems with injection systems
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am going to say something....please dont spray any starting fluid in the carb!!!!!!! you are looking for trouble. if used it will wash all the lubricant from the cylinderwall, scoring it and make the rings leak, it could backfire and catch you or the shop or both on fire, it could cause a static lock and bend the rods or push the crank out the bottom of your crankcase. if you need to use a helper to get started, use some wd40, sparingly and stand by with a fireextinguisher.........
    sorry skull, but i have seen too many bad things happen from using that stuff improperly...............................:)
  16. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

thanks chuck, thats why it's good to have you more experenced guys watching over this forum. :D
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Get some carb/intake cleaner and clean out the intake area, won't hurt anything.

Does the starter engage properly?
    Does it spin the motor at an adequate rate to effect combustion and starting

You only need three things
    Fuel
    Spark
    Compression

Check the compression on the cyl see if they are up to snuff
    Check the plugs, or replace them check gap make sure it's good
    Wires could be bad internally, same for coil

If the starter is spinning the motor the way it should then the problem is in

Ignition
    Fuel Delivery
    Compression.
  18. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Yep, the starter is kicking good but at times it seems to make like a clanking noise. I'm afraid that the starter is probably on its way out. I replaced the plugs and it seems to have a good spark. Yesterday I took the scoot for a ride after I got it to started and the bike runs fantastic.
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

20. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

haven't heard from you lately, kinda worried . . . . you took chucks advise . . .right and not mine, i mean hope you got his his in time :eek: