1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hard Starting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jazzhog, Apr 25, 2008.

1. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Yep, I got it and yes I took his advise. The scoot seems to be starting a little better, however it still not starting the way it should. I guess I'm going to have to take it to the pros. no offense, Skull & Chuck I love you wrenches on the net some of you guys have a lot of experience with Harley's I tip my hat to you guys. No bull...

When it comes to wrenching I love doing that I also have a lot experience with that. I've been cutting, chopping, pulling and welding for 40 years. But when it comes to hi tech stuff like EFI well, that's where the buck stops...
    You know what I mean Skull? But... I smell a but... I still would love to learn we could never have enough experience we learn something new every day. AMEN?;)
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  3. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

let us know, it's how we all learn on this forum:devil:
  4. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

if you want to spray some thing in your intake, carb or fi, get a small oil can with a trigger on it . fill the can with just gas. one squirt is usually plenty to check to see if things work. starting either can be tricky. if you do use it DO NOT spray then crank , crank engine then tiny sprays while cranking.
  5. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Hard Starting Solved

OK, Guys here is the scoop... I resolved the hard starting issue thanks to all you wrenches on the web. I love you guys out there, with lots of questions and a whole lot of feedback's the problem has been taken care of. What was the issue? Well, after checking wires, scanning and replacing CKP sensor, it was none of that it was a crappy little hose that goes inside the tank from the fuel pump to the fuel regulator. It seems that the hose kind of curves a bit and it rubs against something. (eventually causing a break) Then what happens is when the scoot stands around for a while it looses the pressure and until it builds up enough it wont start. Ones you get the scoot running it runs great because the fuel injectors don't need 58PSI to run well. It also depends on how critical the break is on that hose. Keep this for future reference guys, I replaced the fuel filter also it had some restriction, the hose, clamps, screws and gasket, the dealer sells the filter clamps and hose as a kit. What a crappy design on that system, is a bit of a pain in the rear end to do if you're not to inclined it takes an owners manual and some patience.

I want to thank all you wrenches again for all your help, You guys take the time to help bikers in distress and I tip my hat to you guys. "JAZZ"::cool: :D :roflmao:
  6. duke76

duke76 New Member

glad to hear problem solved, Todd
  7. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

More headaches

Yep, I did solve the starting issue, but it looks like the starter got such a good workout during that issue that is making some clanking noise. I think that I might have to replace that sucker. Question, I have a hi-comp. engine with compression release valves and I'm running a 350CCA battery. What would be the best starter for my application and what is involved in the R&R? "JAZZ" :gah:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

All Balls Starters - Lifetime Warranty

Bud has one on his 113 high comp, the other day the solinoid stuck open, the smoke got out of the starter, about a year old.

All Balls took it back and shipped him a brand new unit.
  9. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Hard clanking

Hotroadking:

Yep, that is my preferred choice for a starter. I already checked out their web site and they do extend a limited life time warranty on the 1.4kw starter that is a good thing, it tells me that their product is built well. The other issue is that they are out of stock on the black but they do have the chrome, more $$$$ but that's no biggie because the chrome is still cheaper than HD and as we well know you cant beat the warranty... Right? So I may just go for the chrome a shame sins you don't even see the sucker...
    Thanks, brother "JAZZ":cool: