1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley Compensator

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 1, 2015.

1. RichardK

RichardK Member

We studied every thing we could think of or have suggested to us as To the cause. Oil levels were one. I even tried a variety of levels of oil and test run a few hundred miles then pull apart for inspection. Lower levels we found no change in wear. I even tried 2 quarts and still the same wear showing up. In the end we were able to nail it down to 2 things. Very little oil available as described in my last post and centrifugal force clearing what oil does get to it. As for not seeing or hearing about bikes on the side of the road. The compensator will make noise that continues to grow louder until the rider has had enough and replaces the comp. Of the hundreds of failed units I have inspected I am aware of 1 that had fretted and damaged the sprocket bore and bearing Sleeve to the point of being seized into a solid sprocket. Mostly just bad spoke and sprocket bore wear. Never known of one leaving the bike inoperable. As I travel around the country I stop and visit with every Harley dealer I can. 2 things I always do is go to parts and ask how many comps they have in stock. That us an eye opener in itself. My local dealer keeps 6 to. 8 in stock. Also I go the service and ask if any bikes are in for a comp. I find it the exception to NOT see one or more in for a comp install.
    Why there are some that seem to last is something we are continuing to look at but to date no solid data on why.
    RichardK
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:p :rolleyes:
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

They also had to walk to and from school up hill both ways !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

One thing that I find very interesting is that there is no information given on how many of these bikes with comp failures are bone stock bikes? My hunch says very very few in comparison to those that are hopped up. Bigger bang, more aggressive riding equals more stress on an already weak bottom end. So is it the fault of the MOCO or the hot rodders that go ape shit for power then blame the MOCO?
  5. FLHTbiker

Both Maddogs bike and mine are bone stock except for mufflers. The other guy I know his is also bone stock except for mufflers. I'll bet you'll find out that most of those bikes that had comp issues will turn out to be mostly bone stock.
  6. JohnnyBiker

No way that the ratio of bone stock bikes is greater than the ratio of hopped up bikes. You guys are running the 110. That isn't considered a wimpy engine.
  7. FLHTbiker

No and many of the party's are beefier than stock ones to
  8. RichardK

RichardK Member

Numbers in how many failures will likely never be known. There has been an effort mounted to force the Transportation Safety to force a recall. Not enough injuries or deaths for those folks to get it done. Harley folks are masters at locking information from the public. Dealers have been under threat from the MoCo for years to not say anything on the topic. Harley has added more manufacturers to produce the units. And it just goes on and on. Basically if you own an 07 or later TC the comp will likely fail short of the expected service life of the bike.
    Comp issues have little to do with stock or built. Take a torque wrench to the bolt on it and you can pull the comp to full rotation and locked position at around 120-140 ft lbs of torque. The unit is designed to cushion initial launch shock and cruise speed comfort. Hammer the throttle and the comp will go to lock and you are essentially running a solid sprocket as long as the torque rating is exceeded.
    So where all the damage comes in is when you are cruising for long distances and the unit is constantly rocking back and forth hours on end. Lots more to all this but to much to detail now. So it is doing the job it was designed to do but is starved of the necessary lubrication to stay healthy.
    RichardK
  9. FLHTbiker

Sounds reasonable
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not trying to say there might be a better design however to address a few things. Inventory of parts at dealers isn't an absolute indicator, many dealers are not carrying big inventory of all parts, that ties up large amounts of capital, hd doesn't supply the parts on consignment it's cash on the barrel.

Further a lack of inventory or low volumes of specific parts is relational to demand, not having them may indicate the don't sell or replace many just as well. Most dealers now use a specialized parts system that maintains inventory based on past demand. Having none may mean they haven't the demand.

I've got 20 tc owners I ride with from 09 to current none have had an issue with the comp

The ones I know of are two here
  11. FLHTbiker

Gees HRK, you must not get around much more than your inner circle. There are a lot more of it going on than you know. I know of several here. It's not something you hear about because most simply get it taken care of and probably don't realize others are having the same issue. The service manager here eluded that there were and are repairs going on from it. I'm sure the dealers don't talk about it much but have seen it posted on other forums.
    My friend here who had the tech glue in the piece for the newer oiler system knew very well about it and what to do.
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Ok here is my thoughts on this comp issues. First off the late model bikes gearing sucks to come out of the hole .so it takes alot more torque on the crank to get the heavy bikes going especially trikes and full dressers. Second with the taller gearing more people tend to lug them at cruise speed and tend to roll on the throttle while they lug them .throw a long stroke crank in the mix now the rocking back and fourth on the comp is multiplied even more. The lack of lube to the comp is a poor designed system and the lack of high pressure additive removed from the oils by the epa like zink and phosphate because we now use 20 w 50 in the primary does not help in a high pressure area as the comp . the load on the wafer thin bearing is a piss poor design you need more cushion in that high load area and less lube is not going to help and lack of high pressure lube on the loads of the comp it will fail .
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  13. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Stupid question on a topic I know nothing about. Basically the compensator absorbs engine torque and power pulses to cushion the impact and avoid/lessen trans wear?
    Why not a replacement that uses a fluid/magnetic coupling to lessen the shock of the engine torque thru the trans? If I remember, AMC had a fluid coupling for its AWD on the Spirit wagons back in the late 70s, early 80s, idea was ahead of its time even if the execution lacked a bit. Also many late model AWD systems use a magnetic coupling to engage at the rate desired. Could this not be designed to absorb the power pulses of the engine? Or is this in the works for H-D in a lab somewhere?
  14. FLHTbiker

Basically it's a shock absorber. Takes out the torque pulses in the drive train.

which supposed to save your drive train bearing from shock and failure !
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well like I said 100% of the people I know with bikes in this
    age have zero problems, thats real live people not innernet peoples LOL

Only place I see problems are the two or three here, nothing on the CVO board or RG board, I"m sure there are people on HTT with problems but for the most part those guys beat bikes hard.

Go fast guys will always find the weak links.

Maybe it's west coast bikes
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  16. FLHTbiker

Well it's interesting as I was with the service manager at one of the most productive Harley shops on the west coast this morning and spent time with him in the Dyno room. I asked him again about it and he said yes we have seen a significant number of bikes with that issue. This shop does a tremendous amount of shop work. Guys from out of state come here for work and tunes. So again I'm not agreeing with your summation of only Internet problems and leave it at that.
  17. JohnnyBiker

Isn't that the truth that the people on HTT pound their bikes hard. I like power but the shit they do is just insane. 100% spot on that these kind of people will find the weak links. What I find amusing is that they then blame the MOCOer for using not as intended.

I won't sit here and say that no stock bikes haven't had comp issues but I will say that I personally know of no one t h at I am friends with or have ridden with that have had a compensator fail. Derek isn't even familiar with failing comps and 90% of his business are Harley's.
  18. FLHTbiker

Not surprising that you would side with HRK. I've never been on this HTT or what ever it's called. But that's OK I don't need to. There are several discussions the the CVO site about the comp and the new design from not only Harley but also the one discussed here. I personally really don't care if you know anything about it or not. I know for a fact that it is happening especially when I see three friends here that have had this issue.
    I'm not going to get into a big argument or anything else with you here or anyone else here, I personally don't care. I know what has happend to me and several others I know and I'm done with the subject.
  19. JohnnyBiker

I am not really siding with HRK because I know that there is an issue with them as there are so many different people complaining about it. However I think all that he is saying is that his group of friends aren't experiencing what the masses seem to be. Like I said, I myself with the people I ride with, none of them have experienced a comp failure.

HTT is a great technical site. Probably the best in that regard, but they are extreme.
  20. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

I ride my bike pretty hard and the first thing i did when i got the road glide waas dump all the epa fluids and put real lude in all three holes .next it got punishment on the dyno for many hours and then got 5 hours of punishment on the way home and many months of new found power punishment for tthe last 4 months .no comp issuies yet.i have this little thing called a shifter on the left side of the bike .i dont lug it!
    JohnnyBiker likes this.