1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley "etiquette"

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by phlsphyguy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Sleepy, 30K in 5 years is not bad. Like Greybear said, not every one has the freedom he has, though we all envy his freedom a little. I just counting the days till I get home and get some more ride time in, autumn in northern Wisconsin can be great for riding, not too hot, nice forests to roll through, occasional deer.... gotta watch for those.

I have to stop visiting this site! I am missing the ride too much!
  2. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I heading for Old Orchard beach, ME in 30 minutes knowing I be riding in the wake of Hanna this weekend. Get out and ride as much as your life will let!!!!

:D
  3. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

LMAO! Yeah, most of those guys have the plastic trophy wives as well... One of my clients has a gorgeous silicone enhanced trophy wife...and a Super Glide..rides it once a month to the store with her on the back, and he likes to tout that he is a "Harley guy."
  4. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Sorry Phlsphguy, but I have to state the obvious, ;) Your a head shrinker, and he is one of your clients, well, then you already know something upstairs is not wired right........

Say this with tongue in cheek.....
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I got my bike new in 04..... has over 25K on it (don't remember how much exactly as I have not seen the bike in 4 months!)...most the time it isn't clean (just ask ChuckTx, he has seen it!)...my opinion is that if it is nice enough to wash, that must mean I SHOULD be out on the road!!! so, more road grim and bugs are on the way. I do try to rinse off once a year or so (whether it needs it or not!!:roflmao: ) I know lots of people that won't ride if there is a cloud in the sky....I ride with rain gear packed, or expect to get wet. Rain isn't as much fun to ride in, but.....
  6. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I know what you mean AFNurse, I was looking on E-bay once at the bikes for sale, and a lot of them list as never been ridden in rain. Hmm, that is how mine gets washed!
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

FLHT posted a link under MC Hitch in this section under the mis section thers a guy selling his 03 Ultra with 142 K plus miles on it now that some riding
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was at a biker bar/restaurant the other day with a friend. He had a friend who showed up, and then a couple of that guy's friends showed up. I think we were talking about cams when I said I had 70K on mine when I changed them out. I was chatting with the last two guys and I could hear the other guy asking my friend if he'd heard right. "Has she really put over 70,000 miles on her bike?" :eek:

I waited a long time to get a bike I could call my own - one that wasn't going to get sold out from under me. I have a lot of lost time to make up for!

And as for rain, I know people who won't ride if there's a chance of it. If I didn't ride in the rain, I wouldn't have ridden a mile since I got my bike back a month ago. I think it's rained on me every time I've been out. I don't love it, but geez, what's gonna happen?
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oh well, chit happens and then it rains. I've rode in more rain storms then I can remember. Rode in a hard hail strom more than once, and remember one time there was no place to stop and every opening in the jacket and chaps were filled with ice. Finally found a place to pull over, shook it all out and waited for the hail to stop then rode another 200 miles.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Monday evening June 23, 2008 bought a 2002 Fatboy with 346 miles on it, the guy we bought it from got hurt at work 2 days after he bought it. He had 6 operation and hadn't been able to ride much, so he decided to sell. Wednesday June 25, 2008 we went on a 3,500 mile rode trip. Bike now has 6,345 mile on it. Oh by the way this is my wifes bike. I ride a 05 Fatboy, 37,000 plus miles.

Pikes Peak Black Sheep
    Taz
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm close to 60K on my 00 Heritage

Lot of time in there where I travelled and wasn't home to ride.

Got stuck with a lot of shorty weekender rides for a couple of hours, kids, work,

Plus take out 1 year for the SNS engine rebuilds (twice at 6 months each)
    and I had a second RK for a while.
  12. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

I know what would be good for the RUBS...Harley makes an inflatable bubble to store your bike in...kind of like the blow-up Christmas thing people put in their front yard.
  13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yeh, and you can probably get a cylinder of nitrogen to inflate the thing in order to guarantee a non oxidizing atmosphere. No rust. :D
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I think I have seen something like that in a magazine or in Thunder Press. Don't think it had the nitrogen though.
  15. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

16. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

well my 03 has 13000, prob good milage since 4 seasons here and only about 500 miles this season:roflmao: prob have that on my bicycle by now:roflmao: the day I stoped ride'n this year was the day it stoped raining. went for a mile fluid, batt charge run last week and guess what, got caught in the rain. I've found my new set up, my rear just slings water up my back and the front sligs all on my feet. well it gave me another reason to kill some time cleaning it.
  17. FLHTbiker

:puke:
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what's gonna happen!!!!!!???? ya gonna get wet!!!:)
    and then ya gonna dryout!!!!
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Some buy to ride and ride to buy :p

No big deal I ride when I can between work, family, kids, travel, and ahem,, mechanical issues.

I don't think miles can be used as the measuring stick for all, if you live in Alaska you sure are not going to put 20K on a year because you can't ride all year, same in Maine, NY, VT, WI, MI etc, just doesn't happen.
  20. FLHTbiker

I think if I lived in any of those above states, I would move. Hate long snowy winters. There only good for making babies and if you ride a lot you really can't afford the kids. :D