1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley Oil, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HellBoy, Nov 9, 2009.

1. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I just replaced my HD dino oil in my engine and it's been fine. I have Red Line synthetic in my clutch and tranny. It's time to change. I'm considering using HD's synthetic. I've heard rumors regarding clutch slippage with Red Line and didn't think it could be, but I must say that after running Red Line for 4k miles, plus, my clutch has been slipping (just a little) in first gear for quite a while. It may have nothing to do with it, but I'm curious the hear from other Bike Talk members about this.
  2. TrueSpoke

TrueSpoke New Member

HD syn. in everything man. It kicks ass. Wear is a non issue, and it runs way cooler.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

don't run syn 3 in the trans
    lots of bearing failure reports out there..

not a good idea....
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I think we already went down this road with you about the oil thing. Run what ever you like. :)
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

canola, is that ok?
    how about pure virgin olive
    or maybe extra virgin

maybe I don't want virgin
    maybe I want some oil with some eggsperience...
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I prefer the extra virgin.
  7. FLHTbiker

You could just run the original oil.....crude oil its black and slippery, smells like something dead and will burn to, gee it could be a multi purpose oil. Wonder how it will work in the trans. :D
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

If it tastes terrible then it's probably good stuff :D
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont use harley oil as it is mfg by citgo.....owned by hugo chavez (sp)

found this on another site..
    who makes HD lubes--------
    Ever wondered just who makes the oil and fluids you use in or on your motorcycle that bares the Harley-Davidson™ name. I see and hear this question asked all of the time so with a little research I came up with the following. Note: Suppliers are subject to change and this list was not supplied directly form H-D so I can't guarantee it's accuracy. Below is a listing of Lubricants and Cleaners and Polishes.

Lubricants
    Product H-D Part#...Manufacturer
    H-D WINTER FUEL CONDITIONER 99889-91A HJS of Wisconsin
    H-D FUEL ADDITIVE 99893-91A Polar Molecular
    H-D FORK OIL TYPE B 99880-73 HJS of Wisconsin
    H-D FORK OIL TYPE E 99884-80 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE FORK OIL (HEAVY) 99881-87 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE RACING FORK OIL (EXTRA HEAVY) 99909-93R CITGO Petroleum
    H-D PRIMARY LUBRICANT 99887-84 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 10W-40 99816-1040 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 20W-50 99816-2050 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 50 99816-50 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 60 99816-60 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE LUBRICANT 99824-03 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D SEMI-SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT 99892-84 CITGO Petroleum
    H-D SPORT-TRANS FLUID 99896-88 HJS of Wisconsin
    DOT 5 BRAKE FLUID 99902-77 Dow-Corning
    H-D WHEEL BEARING GREASE 99856-92 HJS of Wisconsin
    SPECIAL PURPOSE GREASE 99857-97 HJS of Wisconsin
    H-D POLY OIL 99860-81 General Polymeric

Product H-D Part#...Manufacturer
    HARLEY GLAZE 99701-84 Chemrite Industries
    HARLEY GLOSS 94627-98 Chemrite Industries
    HARLEY SUN WASH 94659-98 Chemrite Industries
    HARLEY SWIRL & SCRATCH REMOVER 94655-98 Chemrite Industries
    HARLEY WHEEL & TIRE CLEANER 94658-98 Chemrite Industries
    H-D WINDSHIELD WATER REPELLENT 99841-01 Chemrite Industries
    H-D SPRAY POLISH 99817-99 Petro-Chemical Products
    HARLEY BRIGHT METAL POLISH 99725-89 Rolite Chemical
    H-D BLACK CRÈME POLISH 99271-96V Apple Polishes
    H-D LEATHER CARE 98263-95V Apple Polishes
    H-D LEATHER CLEANER 99274-98V Apple Polishes
    H-D SUEDE & FABRIC CLEANER 99272-96V Apple Polishes
    H-D LEATHER DRESSING 98261-91V Pecard Chemical
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Sorry ChuckTx.

Other parts on a Harley are made in China, like the crank so who's worried aboutwhere the Oil come from.

Just Sayin !

I got 4 quarts of SE Oil down stairs.

I've ran it in all 3 holes.

Hd uses Formula Plus in the primary and tranny.

If you can find Redline 75-250 heavy oil run it in yer tranny.

If you've been going from Dino oil to synthetic oil and back to dino oil, you can build up guma and make yer clutch's slip.
  11. FLHTbiker

I agree with Chuck in part as it is made by Citco and I to don't care to support his country. Second its still dyno oil and the new syn blends to me are much better at lubricating. The HD syn 3 is terrible oil to be used in the trans. A gear oil is the best and several companies such as Red Line, Amsoil along with others make some great syn. gear oil products.
    Even the top mechanic that does all the major motor upgrades here at the local HD dealer does not recommend syn 3 in the tranny. I have never understood why HD started recommending it as it sure has created a lot of controversy.
  12. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

My problem with Motor Company oils, whether Harley, Mopar, FoMoCo, Case/IH, Honda, or Briggs and Straton, is that it is bid out every year to a "spec". What you run this year might not be the same next. I learned this while working for Mobil Oil. They liked to inform us of what "our" oil was in.
    I think more important is to pick a brand, the proper weight and stick with it. Most importantly, keep it clean. Clean oil is the best oil.
    You can always check out the "independent" oil tests and decide from there.
  13. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, it was 4k miles ago that I did my first oil change and you guys pointed me in the Red Line direction. I changed out all fluids to syn, but when major warranty repairs became necessary, my dealership's service manager was hinting warranty service wouldn't be available without their friggin'' oil, so I let them change back to HD dino in the engine only. I've heard rumors regarding clutch slippage with Red Line, and I'll find out all I can soon. Thanks for the tip regarding HD Syn 3 FLHT.

So, the HD Syn for the trans should be avoided? Any more info regarding that? I'll end up talking with the new service manager at my dealer and like to be well informed, if possible, (he's much better than the previous mgr. mentioned earlier). Maybe I'll try Amsoil this time, since Red Line was difficult to find locally anyway.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

hellboy you can google to see if there a dealer in your area for the amoils , I've useing it for many years , started way back with my 73 shovel head & still today in my TC 88
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks Cowboy. Could the change from dino to syn in my tranny have caused a slight clutch slippage? It happens in first gear only and it's like a very small hesitaion, most riders wouldn't notice it, but I remember how incredibly smooth my 1st gear used to be, especially on a slow take off.
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

If I remember right you bought this bike used if I'am right there's no telling how the other person rode like riding the clutch , HD has a tuff clutch set up it just might need a good adjusment That might take a few time to get it right , I have just shy of 60K on my 03 E glide with some times hard riding & clutch is still good to go
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Royal purple is real popular around here but I stick with Amsoil.
    Google Amsoil and go to their web site you can order oil that way. I use Amsoil in all my vehicles. In the Harleys I use 20/50 in motor, 75/90 in trans and 10/40 in primary. In my cages I use 10/30. I use shock therapy in my front forks.
    I have never experienced clutch slippage in any gear, the only trouble I have had is I have to replace the rear tire ever 10,000 or so miles.
  18. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks HarleyLR, Cowboy. I went to Amsoil's site and it's rather confusing with so many variants. Can you guys post the exact name/ weight oil for the gear and primary oils for the HD Dyna, 2007.

Y'now Chuck, I'm rarely pleased by Harley's service. When they were working on why finding neutral was very difficult, they did a clutch adjustment three times. After the second time, it felt perfect, so I said "don't change anything", figuring the neutral would just break in over time. Of course, one hand didn't talk to the other, and they did a third adjustment, which I've never been completely happy with, but couldn't really ask them to do it again, since they said it was done properly now.
  19. FLHTbiker

I have been using Redline in all my trans. for years with no slippage. I think that is like a old wives tale. HD dealer probably wants you to buy from them and sense they don't sell it they don't recommend it or they are just Plain ignorant. the HD dealers here all sell Redline and even recommend Amsoil.
  20. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member