1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley Oil, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HellBoy, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Ahh the Harley Dealer man.
  2. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

ya recon????:roflmao:
  3. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Cardboard, I was imagining you were saying put some oil on the outer moving parts of the clutch lever area itself.
  4. cardboard

In the Primary buddy. That's where you put the Formula Plus.
    The dealer will put it in the transmission also.

I've been puttin the Amsoil SVO 75-140 in the tranny.

I want to try some Redline 75-250
    Shockproof Gear Oil - Red Line Oil Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil

I've been using Amsoil MCV 20-50 or HD Screaming Eagle 20-50 in the motor.

I've also put the MCV20-50 in my primary.

You got to figure out what you want to use.

but you need to have the clutch checked out and figure what's the deal with it.
    Now would be a good time to take it to a indy shop .
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Been running the Redline Shock Proof in mine fore a few years now and have noticed less 5th gear noise in the 6 speed, plus its shifts much smoother. Been using the Redline primary oil and it to works good. Very happy with it. If you have a Cycle Gear shop near you they also carry Redline if your HD dealer doesn't.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

me too....had formula+ in the evo with a scorpion clutch and it was slipping....changed it to type F ATF and the clutch hooks up much better now.
  7. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

So, the oil in the little clutch pack might be causing that very minor slip eh?

Cardboard, I went to one of the more highly recommended Indy shops here in the NYC area (Halo Cycles) in the summertime. The owner is a good guy and we have two mutual friends, so I doubt he had any reason to jerk me around. he took a quick little spin on my bike and didn't feel anything was out of the ordinary when it came to the clutch. You see, it's a subtle thing, mostly noticeable at very slow speeds in heavy traffic. I'll figure this one out, it's just too cold right now to worry too much about it.

I'll have them check the clutch when I change the primary oil. Hopefully, that's all there is to it, but I have a suspicion the clutch plates might be wearing a bit, so I'll take a look there at the same time.
  8. cardboard

Closest Indy shop is like 34 miles from me.
    Closest Cycle Gear is like 60 miles from me, and I would have to ride in to Houston. I don't like going there with the traffic.
    I try to avoid Houston at all Costs.
    Mabe when Chucktx goes there he will git it for me. He likes to go to Houston, Tx. He's closer than me too.
    I can have Amsoil delivered to the door since I'm a dealer, or I can go to Walley World and git Mobile 1 dino or fully synthetic oil which is like 7 miles away.
    So I would have to order Redline and pay full price for it.

And I don't understand how a clutch is slippin while going slow man.

Give me some of what yer smokin.:gah:
  9. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I know, it buggin me a little. It's like a mini power dip, then it grips. Hey, how would you compare your results with MCV20/50 in the primary and SVO 75-140 ? Any noticeable difference, or basically the same?
  10. cardboard

I've done both. But the SVO 75-140 make my buddys across the street his tranny a little quieter.

Got it in my tranny right now.
    Got the Screaming Eagle 20-50 in my engine and primary cause I had picked it up one day when I was at the HD dealer.

I like it. Used it off and on for years.
  11. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks bro.
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a clutch will show signs of slipping while accelerating from a slow speed than when going fast.....always
  13. cardboard

Yea I would agree if you wind the bike up to the upper rpms, I consider that going into a faster rpm and faster speed. Like gittin on it. That ain't really riding it normal is it.
  14. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

put the front tire against a solid wall ,put both feet on the ground and let the clutch out slowly in first or second gear while giving it some throttle....it will slip if its going too....effective test for a many years!!

Have always used the base of the block wall on the side garage door on the concrete outside the door...many I see do burn outs like this but thats not needed at all to test your clutch or adjust it to where it stops slipping...if you can't adjust the slip out you need new clutch plates.
  15. cardboard

You sure you trust him to do that ?:confused:
  16. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

My balls are big enough, but not sure about my brain. When it comes to a stunt like that, I'd probably do it with a friend nearby, just in case I screw up. Not doin' anything with my bike lately, ice and cold gettin' in the way.
  17. cardboard

Not in a parkin garage man. No ice.

Good place to do it. Just don't jump over the concrete wall with it.

Just put yer leathers on and go out and let the bike warm up and try it.:D
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Nothen to it just pull up to the wall and put it in 2nd gear, let the clutch out a little, nail the throttle to wide open as releasing the clutch the rest of the way. Won’t take more than a few seconds to see if it is going to slip. Then maybe write a song about how the clutch done slipped, slipped away. :banghead:
  19. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

aw come on!!! It aint no big deal...lol...do it with all the ladies around and ya might see a bouns or two fall out!!!
  20. Retrop

Retrop New Member

I like to see a good ass-dumpin as much as the next guy but this talk of checking for a slipping clutch by pulling up to a brick wall and dumping the clutch is a little over the top, even for an old bastard like me.
    A much preferred method if you suspect a slipping clutch would be to park on a concrete or asphalt strip, preferably one that is rather course and not smooth, so as to garner as much traction as possible. Hold the front brake and slowly let the clutch out in first gear, giving it a little throttle. If your clutch is holding the front end of the bike will dip and you will probably stall unless you give it too much throttle. If by chance the motor speeds up when the clutch is fully released, you can easily hear the clutch slipping and know you need to adjust the clutch. I have used this method for 45 years and it works well. There is no need to smoke the rear tire and risk bending something on the front end as well as crashing. Truthfully, I can not say that I never tried the brick wall method but that was a long time ago and I like to think I have improved upon my technique somewhat.