1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

HD Syn 3 oil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Mar 10, 2012.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Long time ago, I bought an old '63 Mercury (very ugly) with a 390/ 4bbl carb. Paid $100 for it and it ran great. The oil looked like black tar so I changed it. Big mistake. Smoked and leaked oil everywhere. Ended up putting 50 wt oil and about 2 qts. of STP to plug it back up. Ran great for 2 more years.
  2. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

I am running Amsoil, anything particular you know about it? What do you run?
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Nope

Ran it in my last bike. When I put it in the motor. the motor was louder, like it seemed the parts made more noise.
    AT 25,000 I had my tranny replaced.

IN my Powerstroke diesel trucks it did the same thing. The motor was more noisey.
    Put Mobile 1 synthetic in it and it got quiet again.

Not runnin it anymore.
    That is all I need to know.
  4. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Mountain Cruiser,
    I Ran the regular Harley 20-50 for the first 33,000 miles then, I decided to switch to a synthetic. I Ran Amsoil for just 2000 miles and then my $365 Fueling high volume oil pump that only had 10,000 miles on it broke apart. Don't know that it had anything to do with the oil though. Maybe the guy who put the pump in could've centered it better? Maybe because I leave every stop burnin' off the tire and squirrelin' across the intersection and then I run everywhere I can in the speedo's 3rd digit part? Who knows? Anyway, I read here where some sing the praises of Mobile1 and others swear by the Valvoline VR1. I might try something else now. Maybe VR1. Haven't decided yet.
  5. cardboard

Spectro Oil is good. So is mobile one. So is valvoline. so is Redline
    Just keep it changed on a regular basis.

Mobile one can be picked up easily at Walley World.
  6. alex the dog

Here is my 2 cents on synthetic oils: Mobile 1, Valvoline, Red Line, Golden Spectro, Motul, Amzoil, are all excellent oils. I can buy Mobile 1 at Wal-mart for less than $4/qt if I get the 5 qt jug ($19.25). All those others sell for $10-$15 per qt at auto supplies.

U.S. military mandates the use of Mobile 1 in ALL their vehicles. Guess who gets my business.
  7. cardboard

Mobile one synthetic at Walmart is like 9.00 a quart if I remember right.
  8. alex the dog

Single qts. of Mobile 1 20W50 are $6.50, and 5 qt jugs are $19.25 here.
  9. Hefitz

Hefitz New Member

Is that the "red cap" Mobil 1 or the Mobil 1 V-Twin for $6.50? If, so, that's a damned good price.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Walmart here does not carry the Mobile1 V-twin, in the auto oil Mobile1 is 6.50 a qt.
  11. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

This is straight forward country thinking...................................
    Jeff Foxworthy on Muslims:

1. You refine heroin for a living, but you have a moral objection to liquor.
    You may be a Muslim

2. You own a $3,000 machine gun and $5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes.
    You may be a Muslim

3. You have more wives than teeth.
    You may be a Muslim

4. You wipe your butt with your bare hand, but consider bacon unclean.
    You may be a Muslim

5. You think vests come in two styles: bullet-proof and suicide.
    You may be a Muslim

6. You can't think of anyone you haven't declared Jihad against.
    You may be a Muslim

7. You consider television dangerous, but routinely carry explosives in your clothing.
    You may be a Muslim

8. You were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs.
    You may be a Muslim

9. You have nothing against women and think every man should own at least four.
    You may be a Muslim

10. You find this offensive and don't forward it.
    You may be a Muslim
  12. alex the dog

I don't know what color the cap is on single qts because I don't buy them. I only buy the big 5 qt jugs of 20-50 for $19.25, which works out to be LESS than $4 /qt.

Also, I only buy the Mobil 1 for cars and trucks--not the V Twin, which costs 3 times more and is the same oil in a fancy container (mfrs ratings are identical). If you call Mobil Oil Info, they will tell you to run V Twin in a Harley. They won't tell you they make a lot more money selling V Twin than the regular oil.
  13. FLHTbiker

14. alex the dog

Thanks FLHT, but I've already seen this fact sheet. The statement they make about using Mobil 1 syn. for motorcycles sez "superior protection compared to conventional oil", meaning dino oil. If you look at the actual specifications and test ratings for V Twin 20w50, and then Mobil 1 for cars in 15w50 weight, you will see the same SAE ratings: SG, SH, SJ, SM, SN. The API quality ratings are also the same: CH

Heat protection for VTwin 20w50 before breaking down is 325f., but only 15w50 for cars equals that rating--NOT THE OTHER VISCOSITIES. I don't use this oil in my tranny.... I use Valvoline 90w syn there.

So here is a case of diff. packaging for the same oil. Besides, I have 90,000 trouble-free miles on my motor and it never burns a drop between changes.

Ach! Nobody cares what I say or do, but thanks for giving everyone else some peace of mind.
  15. Hefitz

Hefitz New Member

I was actually curious and appreciate the information. I don't pretend to be an oil expert. Far from it. The part I've never really understood is that my owner's manual says to use motor oil made for diesel engines. WTF.. I assumed that the V-Twin Mobil1 met that criteria VS standard Mobil one for automobiles.

I would much rather pay $4 a qt. instead of $9 a qt. for the same oil.
  16. FLHTbiker

I don't know if you read the whole article but here is a piece taken from it.

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:
    Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

17. TTS88

TTS88 Member

Well that would be true about any company...One thing I see about Amsoil is if they show how they are better than all the other synthetic oils, then why doesn't the competitors come back at them with their own results proving them wrong ???
    Makes me wonder...
  18. cardboard

I am about 9 yrs in a 11 yr Amsoil dealership
    I ran Amsoil iny last bike
    Will not put it in my ultra limited
  19. alex the dog

Yessir I did. The key words they use are "generally speaking". Mobil 1 15w50 is not really for your everyday car motor, unless you drive a NASCAR "car" to the grocery store.

H-D even sez you can use a 20w50 motor oil in your tranny, but it's too light and also has "friction modifiers" that will make your clutch slip too soon. Your clutch should last 100,000 miles with the right oil (90 weight gear lube), and the gears will be much quieter too. If you insist on using 20w50 in your tranny, at least use the VTwin oil here.
  20. FLHTbiker

I use Redline shock proof in the Tranny not engine oil.