1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

HD Syn 3 oil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hefitz

Hefitz New Member

Rule of thumb for me when it comes to the tranny. It's a gear box. Put gear oil in it.

But I'm the same guy who won't move away from auto oil changes every 3000miles regardless of what the owner's manual says. My new F150 interval is 7500 miles. I couldn't sleep at night if I did that.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:D jiffy lube got yea :D
  3. Kitten

Kitten New Member

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on the SYN-3, as filed with the Federal Government.
    Manufactured by - Citgo Petroleum.
  4. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

That explains why I had to have the tranny rebuilt. The tech said that one of the shafts had too much end play. End of story.
  5. 07flhx

07flhx New Member

Choosing an engine oil is like choosing a good woman, find one you like stick with her.
    Serious question does ANYONE know where to find the TBN of SYN3 oil? I know the TBN of Amsoil 20W50 is 11.1. I have not been able to find the TBN anywhere. BTW SYN3 is Manufactured by - Citgo Petroleum.
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Last I seen it was made by Sonoco, not by Citgo.
    And it don't make any difference where the Oil is mfg, contrary to what anybody says. It is made to HD standards.
    Know folks that has run it for 50,000 and had no problems PERIOD on Syn 3 oil.
    The best thing to do, it keep your oil changed. There is no miracle oil if that is what you are lookin for.
  7. 07flhx

07flhx New Member

The question was "Does anyone know the TBN of SNY3"?
  8. FLHTbiker

Nope and don't care to as the stuff is an inferior oil when compared to many oils and that comes from personal experience. There are better oils out there that do a far better job. Do some research on the Internet and you will find tons of information. Won't argue with you CB as very well known engine builder here do not recommend it.
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  10. FLHTbiker

I know guys running automotive oil and doing just fine, just change it often.

Just be sure to oil your bolts before torquing them down. :roflmao:
  11. cardboard

Man I ned to git some STock n it.;)
  12. cardboard

Got a Buddy that has never ran nothing but castrol car oil in his bikes.
    Never had a problem out of his bikes.
  13. FLHTbiker

Yep :D just change it often
  14. cardboard

People think they have to keep up, they have to have the absolute best oil money can buy. They have gone crazy to find it. Then they realize the price they paid for it. Then they start trying to go longer and longer miles before they change it. From that they don't check the oil level and oil as much.
    Find a oil that is easy for you to get. And change it every 2500 miles with the oil filter. Then you don't have to worry about it
    If you was racing a bike like Prodrag I would tell you different.
    Most of us don't keep bikes for ever.
    We start out thinking like that , but we git high milage on them and wind up trading them in or selling them.
    Look how long FLHT kept his FLHTK.
  15. FLHTbiker

:roflmao: only to get my 2012 Screaming Eagle and now have almost 20,000 on it with a lot more miles to go.:D

PS: CB I use the best oil I can buy and it ain't Harley Oil.
  16. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

Almost afraid to ask. I got about 9,300 miles on the clock. First owner always ran HD conventional oil. There are many things for bike I will use Genuine HD products only for,
    motor oil is not one of them. On my next oil change I will either run Valvoline 60w Race oil or a synthetic oil, probably either Mobile 1 or Valvoline. It is to my understanding, motors need to be broken in before running a synthetic oil, but not too many miles as oil leaks could develope??? My question is really if I'm ok switching to Synthetic oil at this stage of the game? Also recomendations for what grade? It don't get cold here so I'm really mostly interested in warm weather protection.

Aloha...Mike
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You can switch to synthetic any time you want and back again to dino if you wanted to too....20w-50 motosickle oil is what I'd recommend,but since you don't have winter except for on the calendar you could run straight 50,if temps are over 100*F for extended periods you could use straight 60...but 20w-50 is most available and will protect your engine just fine:)
  18. FLHTbiker

My bike came with SYN3 oil in it and broke the bike in with it. SYN3 is not a pure synthetic oil but rather a blend of both. I then switched to Mobile 1 and now using Red Line. I really like the full synthetic oils over dyno oil or SYN3. Call it personal preference or what but bike runs cooler with full synthetic.
  19. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Last week one of the wrench's at my local stealership was tellin' me they run cooler with the HD dino oil.!! Too many 'Experts'. Fact is,I think, Change it regullary (4k-5k mi.)=trouble free.
  20. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep....and any oil is better than No oil...;):cheers: