1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

HD Syn 3 oil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Mar 10, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao: I don't think I would be trusting that guy. :rolleyes: and yep change it regularly no matter what you run in it.
  2. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

Whatever oil ya use,change it often,keep it full,and ride the sh...t out of it. Have fun be safe.theres no Bad oil tis that some are a little better than others.i use AMSOIL .my good buddy uses Mobil #1, sometimes ill use redline if I can't get AMSOIL ,it's all good .youll know if your motor makes it to 90,000 or more.
  3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Oil is a recurring topic that never seems to be definitive. Simple response is: New motors come with dino oil that needs changing after first 500 miles. I recommend using same 20w50 oil for the next 1,000 miles, then you can switch to synthetic.

Synthetic oil in motor definitely runs cooler than dino oil, and gives a much better range of protection in cold and hot climates. H-D sez change the oil every 5,000 miles, but I think it's inexpensive maintenance to change every 3,000. You don't need the most expensive oil out there, or special VTwin oils either.

Ordinarily, 20W50 is recommended, but since your temps never get below 60f, you can use straight 50 weight, readily available at Wal-Mart for $6/qt. or any auto supply for that matter.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd never suggest a straight weight oil especially on the TC engines, the tolerances are much tighter, there are a lot of narrow tiny oil passages, a multi weight acts like a 20 during warm up and will get through all the nooks and crannies quicker than a straight 60
  5. Firebird 62

Firebird 62 New Member

Hi!
    Don't mind me, just posting 5 times so I can start my own topic.
    Carry on!
  6. PetesHarley

PetesHarley Member

Was wandering if anyone has ever tried Motul 20/50 twin oil ??? Have been using HD 20/50 but thinking about switching to this ... Any input would be appreciated
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I run M1 20/50 Vtwin, great oil, you can run it in the engine, primary and trans according to M1
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I haven't used it but it's a good quality oil. They are a French company and have been in business for quite some time.(150 years) Lots of shops up here in the Great White North sell it.