1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Head Porting...What is the True Value??

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I need to make more power than this, but I am not looking for 100+ hp out of this thing either. I need to get more out of this, I am just not convinced that it is my pipes that is doing it. It is clear that I am way lean, so I am going to play with the jetting and see if I can dial the afr in first, put it back on the dyno and wee what happens. This way I am out of very little money. My next step is to look at mu ignition. I just do not think that I have proper ability to tune (ignition wise) with the one that I have.

HR will be riding this bike, yes, but she won't be 100% of the time, so I am going to build it how I want it. HR will be able to handle it no matter what is done to it. And this I know!!!
  2. JohnnyBiker

I am so happy that I won't have to send my heads way over to the east coast to get them ported if that is what is needed. At this point, I am not even sure that I need this to be done, which is cool if I do and if I don't.

I am curious as to what is done when the intake is textured?? do they take a sand or grit blaster with pressure to rough up the surface or do they us sand paper??? Inquiring minds want to know..:D
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the machine shop

Look at that AFR chart again, remember that 14.6 is lean
    and rethink your jetting, unless I"m looking at the wrong column
    it looks RICH not lean...
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

5. JohnnyBiker

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!!

Guys, I am well aware of what is out there and we have had a long discussion before about what exhaust to get. I appreciate all the help with what everyone thinks that I should put on for exhaust. I get it, I need a more performance friendly exhaust, lets not drag this out.....?????
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Young man you will were what we tell you to were or you will be grounded :) again
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Lots of good info at this site, just keep scrolling down on the page. Those air/fuel gauages are way cool.

JB pick one tuner and stick with him untill you're done, everyone has there own ideas.
    I will add; your pipes suck for performance.
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

He's up tight give him a break........
  9. cardboard

I will add; your pipes suck for performance.[/QUOTE] Shutup !
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

If he don't like the comments and wants everyone to shut up then he should just stop posting about it. This is almost getting as bad as the new bike thread was getting. :gah:
  11. JohnnyBiker

I have thought about it long and hard. I have decided that if needed after all tuning has been done that is possible with the set up that I have and I can't get to where it is that I want to be, then I am going to change cams, then move on to head porting. I have decided that I am going to go with the SE cams that are .536" lift. I chose these because I do not want noisy valve trains and I want reliability.
  12. cardboard

13. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

heads are often the most over looked part of a high performance build,the more air in the motor means more HP/TQ out.but bigger isnt always better!!we have almost 30 years of doing street & race heads,there 100`s of hours of flowbench & dyno time invested.make sure you find someone on the ball
  14. JohnnyBiker

My independent has a flow bench and we are planning on using it extensively if we can't get my bike in a better position with my current set up. If we can't then we are going to go in increments. By that I mean a better lift cam and better springs and pipes. I have all winter so we can take our time and do it right.....:cool:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  15. prodrag1320

a flowbench is a must,we`ve had ours for over 25 years.if your guy has one,im sure he know whats going on,but if he`s not got alot of experience with take small steps,its alot easier taking out material than putting it back in! remember,proper conturing and a good flowing valve job (we use a SERDI 100) is WAY more important than just hogging out the ports as big as possible
  16. JohnnyBiker

I agree, we have had numerous conversations here on the site about this. I have talked to him extensively about our course of action and what he thinks we should do and I am talking most of advice with the exception of one thing in particular. My independent is a machinist by trade so I tend to trust him a little more. :D
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Another Florida guy:gah::roflmao: Welcome to the Forum Kirby!!:D
  18. prodrag1320

if you want to start with the best stock XL heads,see if you can find some 1100 heads,very hard to find,but they came with regular big twin size valves.most of them got eaten up by sportsmen racers who are not allowed to do headwork,but they flow way better than HD 1200 out of the box
  19. prodrag1320

about 5 months out of indiana,with all the snow reports,im a happy camper!!had a big shop in indiana for about 20 years,moved to florida to semi-retire,just doing heads & other machine work now(still in the shop long hours,but we`re trying to get in the "semi retired " mode!!!
  20. JohnnyBiker

I have SE 55cc Sportster heads...