1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Helmet suggestions, please

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Jul 12, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:D :D :D Probably a good idea yea think. :)
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

:roflmao:

Yeah it is getting a little scary. I guess the title is misleading. I'm asking for suggestions on types of helmets, not if I should wear one. I still believe that should be a matter of choice.
  3. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

ok

I'm Gelling.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'd give ya suggestions but I have too many helmets as it is because I can't make up my mind!:roflmao: :banghead:

My favorite one is a HJC half that came like it was purposely color-matched to my bike (H-D Lazer Red Pearl)

How about one of those ox-horned one? Go for the "Valkyrie" look? Would work for you!

Most already said/hinted at it: you just have to get used to it. The full faced ones are the most wind resistant and supporting, if you can stand putting your head in a box for "fun" (and I even wear one when it drops to the teens, to prevent frostbite).

All that said now - how do I get off-topic and p.o.'d?.........:roflmao:
  5. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Abby are you talking about one of the halfshell cop deals? If so the visor does have to go. DOT approved version of that rascal I have about lifts me off the bike. :roflmao: ok only feels like it, ain't no helmet going to lift my 280# butt out of the saddle, but it really is a pain in the neck. I have gotten to a point I can about tell you how fast I am going by how much pull is on the helmet LOL. 50mph helmet gets light (that ain't bad) about 60mph helmet starts to pull on chin (mildly annoying), 70 mph like having a dang parachute 80mph fight to hold head steady, above 80 I quit paying attention to the helmet and start paying more attention to WTF am I thinking LOL. Not to mention that helmet makes your head look like a mushroom :D

OH YEAH and if you get one with the Y straps that are open, earplugs are a must if you want to hear anything at all at the end of the day.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I think the noise was one of the other reasons I stopped wearing one. I'll probably start looking this weekend. My tins went to the paint shop on Monday and I hope to get the bike back by the 26th.:D
  7. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

No Helmet

So It Was A Woman That Started All This Bull****! If You Are Choosing Not To Wear A Helmet Then Why Would You Want Help/suggestions On What Type To Wear? I Don't Think Your Head Requires A Helmet.
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

because as she has stated in the past she had a little incedent by no falt of her own and now would desire the input of those that wear one to share their veiws on the different brands out there, she already owns one as her other job requires it as she is also a mc safety instructor. so i'm taking it as she knows the ups and downs of helmets she is also exercising her freedom to choose one and I am still trying to figure out what her being female has to do with it:wtf: you must have been burned pretty bad by a non helmet wearing female for such statements:rant: or maybe your just an insecure jackazz
  9. FLHTbiker

Well put ironhorse. :cheers:
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yes very well put :D
    Abby the HJC I talked about earlier look's like the cop style white half-shell , Black visor that unclips & the ear cover unzipps for your comfort , I leave mine in yr around , I can here real good with it on even my radio , & it's not to hot even on these 100 dgree days :cool:
  11. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Clearly he has a small penis and this is how he overcomes.
  12. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Now I'm wearing both my helmets.:p

Ones a novelty chrome dome. I don't use it anymore cause I stopped caring about being cool Jessie James look alike. I wear my DOT approved HD -what ya call it- a half shell. It is more comfortable but I use a windshield too so I can hear cars coming up behind me. I fuqure its all or nothin. I don't wear one when Im out in the country in states that allow you to choose.

Cowboy, that cop type helmet reminds me of watching Chips when I was a kid. I noticed on that show that Ponch or whatever his name was had a helmet strap that was velcro no clips. Did anybody ever notice that ? I have never seen one since. I thought it would work great.

FRXMAS, here's to ya:drunk:
  13. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Comprehension

You Couldn't Just Let It Go? Well Bend Over Because Here It Comes. I Just Got Reminded Of Why I Got Away From This Forum! I Couldn't Cope With The Ignorance I Encountered From People Who Have Nothing To Do But Write Contradictory Remarks.i Have Absolutely Nothing In Common With Those Of You That Can Not Do Anything But Criticize The Opinions Of Someone That Does Not Think As You Do. I Could Care Less If You Do Or Don't Wear A Helmet. In Fact If You Don't,perhaps There Will Be Fewer Dumb Asses On The Rode. This Should Not Even Be A Consideration For Someone Teaching Safety To Others Whose Lives May Depend On What She Teaches Them.i Am Very Happy To Ride With People That Understand Me And That I Trust. I Don't Belong On This Board Because My Biker Status Has Nothing To Do With Any Of You Or Your Vacant Thoughts.as For My Penis,i'm Flattered That You Are Interested. I Can Guarantee One Thing For Sure,when You Get To Hell I'll Be The One Directing You Where To Go And What To Do. Y'all Take Care,you Hear!!!!!!
  14. Red Rider

Wow, FRXMAS, I think you should go all the way back and read the posts - no one was irate until you were. Right now you just sound like some whiny tough-guy wannbe that needs his nappy-time or a good spanking by his mommy. Is that it? Your 'tude just makes me wanna :puke:

You're a Respiratory Therapist - don't you of all people know how important taking a deep breath can be? Try taking some - I wonder if your brain is getting enough oxygen.

Feel free to abandon this forum again...we've all had worse things happen in our lives than missing your "contributions". Though it is kind of funny how whacked your insights are.

Have a nice day! :)
  15. FLHTbiker

Abby, I roared when I read your last post, good job. I told you he would nail you if he found out that you where an instructor. FRXMAS (I think I spelled it correct this time) did you used to live in Washington state and go by Journeysun. Well if not you sure as hel1 sound like him and could get along with him. A few of use (maybe 4) remember that guy. :rolleyes:

As for standing at the pearly gates and directing traffic, no way not gonna happen to much anger built up inside.

So, so long FRXMAS and please don't let the door hit you in the AS$ on the way out. :D
  16. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Tonight I get to play genie and grant a wish. I received an email from FRXMAS saying he no longer wishes to play with you guys (or gals).

Your wish is granted - :::::pOOF::::: You're gone! :D

Let us know if you ever decide to come back and play nice (with your Caps Lock off).

Now back on topic...
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Whew. Thanks Ken. And thanks all of you guys too. I thought I was being pretty humble in my original post and to get blasted like that really surprised me. I was trying to be nice about it, but you can only take so much. I felt bad about the low blow, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Anyway, I'll be out helmet shopping this weekend. I also might just take the visor off the helmet I have and see how that works first. I wish I could try it out immediately, but it'll be another week. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by and that it's almost time to get my bike back.
  18. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

BTW, as far as being an instructor... (REALLY not trying to start an argument here - we all have our own opinions based on our experiences and all that other stuff)

I'm one of those people who can't be told, "You have to do this because we said so." It certainly hasn't made my life any easier to be that way. :rolleyes: I put off becoming an instructor for three years because I didn't want to be a hypocrite. Then I decided :wtf: and became one.:roflmao: I needed the part time job after I left the ex and it seemed like it would be better than working at JC Penney or something. I'm surprised at how much I love it now.

Yes, I've known many people over the years who have been killed or seriously injured in motorcycle accidents. Helmets, no helmets, half helmets, whatever. I do know of a guy who had a very slow speed crash and the lip of his helmet caught the curb and broke his neck. The official word was that the helmet killed him. Yeah, what are the chances? When your number's up...

I also have a very close friend who says his helmet saved him when he hit a phone pole. However, he lost a leg from above the knee. He was wicked drunk and had just gotten kicked out of the bar. I quit drinking that day and haven't had a drink since - over 16 years ago. To me, drinking and losing his leg made more of an impression than the fact that the helmet helped out. Can't tell you why. We just all have our things that click and those that don't.

Seems as though for me, getting hit so randomly like that was the click. I'm very grateful that I'm healed before my bike. Perhaps some people would day, "See? I wasn't wearing my helmet and I'm fine." But again, what are the chances that you're going to get nailed from behind like that and get out of it with barely a scratch? Slim.

And there will probably be times that I don't wear a helmet here and there. I know I can never tell when I'm going to get hit or when I might make a mistake that takes me down, but even though I ride a motorcycle, there are a thousand other things that could take me out. My biggest fear would be to live in fear. I did it for 10 years with my dead ex, and it's such a waste of valuable life.

Well now off to work so I can waste 8+ hours in a cubicle. :gah:
  19. Red Rider

The funny thing about this thread is usually when women ask men for their the opinion, we men don't get angry until after our opinion is laughingly rejected.....and he never even got to that part!:roflmao:

What a strange title & topic for a thread to drive someone into the pits of madness. Classic....in a horribly sick and twisted way.

Good luck helmet shopping!
  20. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

You mean like, "Does this helmet make me look fat?"