1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Helmet suggestions, please

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Jul 12, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby my hat's off to you , you came on here & have more then helped out all of us with good taste & some realy great reading You have never hiden anythink in your wrighting about your rode trip last summer , in fact you kept us all reading & wishing you the best , Now that the fact one man can't seem to handle A Lady rider with a good head on her shoulders well it's his loss .
    Now you very right when it's your time ,it's your time , whether you have a lid on or not , I lost a child hood friend back in about 1967 , we where riding on I40 in Albuquerque when a can changed lanes & clip him The chrome trim on the car came up & got cought in his helmet strap & took his head half off , I made my choise then not to were A lid for many years , the H J C I just bought was the first lid I have bought seince that time
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Abby, if you can take the visor off more power to you. However I like my visor as it really helps in the sun but my ultra has a windshield a 8 inch shield. Without a windshield I would have to wear goggles as the tears produced by the wind in my eyes causes less visibility. Of all the helmets that I seem to keep going back to is the HJC half helmet. One thing to keep in mind when trying on helmets no matter what brand it may be is do you wear a dew rag with your helmet. If you do and then try them on without putting one on first your find the helmet fits fine until you put the dew rag on then it fits really tight. Something to think about anyway. If you don't wear one nothing to worry about then.
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

:roflmao: :roflmao: holy craapp thats funny
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Holy crap all that over a helmet :roflmao:
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what he said!!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  6. SK

SK New Member

I really like that line. Life's too short to get upset about diddly squat sh*t. Working in a hospital I'm telling patients to take a deep breath all the time..helps with the pain a good deal of the time.
  7. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

:roflmao: Abby I was a died to the wool slick head, (which is funny because when I raced Moto Cross in my teens I had the best full face helmets money could buy). I rode slick headed for 20 years on the street. I don't know why, year or so ago I started wearing my little German (non DOT) now I don't even know its there. The way I figure it might do some good on a slow impact.I been a welder for 25 years and my neck wont take to much abuse any more. My buddy wears a been e DOT no bill no wind shield he says the wind doesn't effect him.
    As for that other Guy Bless his Heart maybe he needs some anger management classes or a couple hundred miles on his bike to clear his head or maybe he has S.R.S.and with that little Penis he may not can........thats enough sorry I was going to the gutter.You do what ever makes you feel comfortable. Some body makes a helmet that will fit :rolleyes::roflmao: and I've seen your picture you got a nice butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiny:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Funny enough I have had several of the non dot helmets down in FL they never really bothered you about the DOT unless you did something stupid.

What I found is the HD half helmet fit really well, it doesn't move around like the cheapy non dot helmets do.

Tight fit is the key, and after a few years you will have to replace them as the inner lining allows more head room (or you can get the big head attitude)

Anyway many dealers have discounts, OHD is doing a 20% off thing, also lots on the net.

I was thinking of getting one of the flip up full face helmets for rainy or cold days.
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I got it. I didn't expect to, but I got it at Thunder Mountain. I went to see my baby and drop off some paperwork from the insurance company and checked out helmets while I was there. They had some of these Z1R helmets, which are like cop helmets; more than a half helmet, but not 3/4. It also has the zip out ear/neck piece. It has some vents in the front and a very small visor. It's probably the most comfortable helmet I have. It also cost $60. Not bad for a Harley dealership.

I have a 3/4 helmet with a face shield I bought for cold and rainy weather, but it's very snug. It fits; the next size was too large, but it's the nature of the beast. I don't know how people wear the full face helmets that smoosh their face together. That looks really uncomfortable.

Now I need to wait another week or so to figure out how it's going to work.
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

late to the party and missed all the fun

nothing like a discussion on helmets to get the air cleared a little. Abby's already bought one so but my 2 cents would have been a full face for some serious riding on a bike without a windshield or a 3/4 for some more relaxed riding or if you're on a bike with a screen. I got out for a ride in the electra glide in some really crappy weather/rain/snow/etc....used the Arai full face..I'm sold on those for the snow days now. I can relate to the visor on the open face helmets catching the wind and making things uncomfortable. Abby, the full face will pack down somewhat but you really want the hat to stay put at warp 8....[I used to ride some fast bikes at one time and it's really nice having the hat not flop or lift at a buck thirty] This may sound a little funny but I've found the 3/4 with the shield harder to deal with than a full face...[this is based on my experience with a snap on fixed visor] I could flip the visor up on the full face. It'll take some time to get used to a helmet, it ain't for everyone but I'm used to 'em by now. Back in '71 I rode without a helmet [no helmet laws in Quebec] climbed poles and strung line wearing a fedora[ no hard hat safety rules in place] skied wearing a touque/wool hat..to keep the head and ears warm....I did have to wear a helmet playing hockey though.
    Fast forward a decade or three and I'm wearing the gear and the last conversion was on the ski hill....one good wipe out and getting my bell rung good was the final straw. One more thought, A couple of years ago my wife and I were on a tour and we were stopping for breakfast when I pulled the bike up to a stop and she shifted to the right before I got the bike on the stand and we slowly fell over. The bike went to the crash guard but my wife slipped and fell off the bike hard and popped her head hard on the side of a truck that was parked beside us..she was wearing her helmet there and I'm glad she was.
  11. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I have a few of each.....I like the air flow in the 1/2 helmet, but also recognize that it provides the least protection.....have the 3/4 for mild nasty weather....and the full for truly nasty weather....have not ridden full face in quite some time... make my daughter wear full face tho......
  12. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

WOW, I can't believe I missed this thread!! That was an outstanding display of "WTF was that"!! I just had to post, sorry I missed all the fun......:roflmao: :roflmao:
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

well, if ya snooze, ya looze!!!!!;) :roflmao:
  14. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

story of my life chuck...."A day late and a buck short"!
  15. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Yea I missed it too...Been busy lately...gonna be busy pretty much the whole month of Sept, so I probably wont be on much....I've verbalzed my opinion on this one before....I've only worn a helmet when it was super cold or I was required to by law. If they institute a helmet law here in Illinois I'm gonna get the most in your face :wtf: Helmet I can possibly own.
  16. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That's the beauty of it....self expression, until they pass a freakin law! :roflmao:
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Yeah, that was way too much fun. :wtf:

I'm afraid I've gone back to the dark side for the most part. Once I get about 50 or so, the helmet starts choking me.

Sons of Anarchy is starting - gotta go!
  18. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

dang no cable:banghead:
  19. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I miss this guy :roflmao: :roflmao:
    Call him back up and get him back. I need the insanity :banghead: :roflmao: