1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

HELP, adding a stock Harley oil cooler to a 2005 Electra-Glide Classic

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by snydley, Jul 11, 2020.

1. snydley

snydley Active Member

I hope you guys can help me, maybe somebody has "run into" this before.
    I bought a stock Harley-Davidson® Premium Oil Cooler Kit | '99-'06 Touring - part
    #26082-05C, for my 2006 FLHTCI, E;ectra-Glide Classic. I have it all assembled and am ready to finish up and put the oil filter on it, but when I look at the new adapter, where the filter screws in, it doesn't look right.
    oil filter.jpg

The black part on the adapter is part of the adapter and not the gasket. The gasket is not sticking out anywhere, I believe it is installed properly. On the very left of the black "slot" on the adapter is a "passage" where oil can flow, but it looks pretty small. I would expect that that whole slot would be open for oil to flow, but only the very left portion of it is open, though the whole slot in about 1/4" deep where oil can flow. I've never done this before, and I might be trying to "create a problem where one doesn't exist" but not ever have done this before I'm trying to be extra careful, I want to make sure I'm not cutting off the oil supply by doing something wrong. If any of you have ever done this, or know about this please leave me a message.
    Thank You
    Snyde
  2. Red Rider2

Red Rider2 New Member

Were the instructions not clear?
    I have no familiarity with this issue, but am just "bumping" it to get others to take a look, too. Good luck
  3. snydley

snydley Active Member

Yeah the instructions were pretty clear, but after I had it assembled and I looked at where the oil filter connects it just didn't look right. I didn't expect to see a black "slot". It just doesn't look big enough for the oil to flow. I was expecting maybe a hole, like one of the other oil coolers I saw, or a chrome slot or something. At first I thought it was the gasket, but when I looked closer, and tried to move it with a small screwdriver I realized it was part of the oil filter adapter that I installed. Like I was saying, I might just be trying to create a problem where one doesn't exist. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but when it comes to oil I want to make sure there are no problems with oil flow with this engine. I was hoping maybe someone on here might have gone through this and could reassure me that that's the way it's supposed to be. I've ordered a HEX bit set, which is supposed to be here Wed. When I get it I'm gonna re-check the filter connector with my torque wrench, install the filter and "be done with it. I've double and triple checked it and I really can't find anything wrong with the install.
    Thanks for the interest,
    Snyde
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It looks like the one I installed on my Heritage, and that black section was there with the small hole, just be sure the bolt in the middle is installed to torque, and you should be good to go....
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  5. snydley

snydley Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the comment. I figured it was ok, but I wasn't sure. I saw another manufacturer's adapter plate and it had a "hole", which made sense to me, where the black part is on this adapter. There is a hole in this one, one the left end of it. If that's how it's supposed to be great! I guess I'm a little paranoid, because this is dealing with the oil supply on the bike, and I don't want to get somewhere out on the road and have the engine seize up because I didn't assemble it correctly and ruin the engine! I have a new HEX set coming Wed. I initially installed the oil filter bolt using a 1/4" x 20 bolt with 2 nuts "double nutted" on the bolt, as the "HEX" wrench and torqued it with that. Once I get the new HEX wrench set I'll double check that it's torqued correctly, install the oil filter, start it and check for leaks. I wish there was some way to check to make sure the oil is flowing properly! I can't for the life of me figure a way to do that. With the "oil pan" on this thing it's not like my older bikes where I could start the bike and pull out the "filler cap" from the oil tank and check for engine oil flow! When I'm all done I'll post my results here.
    Thanks again,
    Snyde
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  6. snydley

snydley Active Member

Well I got the HEX bit set I ordered, checked the torque, it was great, I have no leaks. Next is to take it for a ride and see how it does. I'll check the oil daily and make sure I don't lose any. The HEX set I got from Amazon is great! 1/4" to 9/16"! I had them all, up to 3/8" which most tool chests come with, now I have those plus 7/16", 1/2", and 9/16"! for $12.95 it was worth every penny! They're not Snap-On or Craftsman, but they'll do in a pinch!
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  7. hotroadking

Nice, it should make a difference in oil temp, you may or may not feel it in your behind with the Summer temps being up this year, but your rings, bearings and valvetrain will.

If you haven't, switch to Mobil1 Vtwin 20W50, that will increase the reduction in temps, Syn oils tend to lube better, longer, thus friction/Heat is reduced.
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  8. snydley

snydley Active Member

Thanks for the reply! I actually just received an order from Amsoil for syn. oil, primary and tranny lube. I dropped the big bucks this time and thought I'd try that. Will be my first time. I had been using Brad Penn, "Pennsyslvania oil with Zinc" for the engine and "Harley Formula + for the primary and tranny. Mobile 1 sounds great though. What do you use for the primary and tranny on yours? I was gonna try Spectro Gear Oil this time, but it was over $23.00 on Amazon so that's why I ordered directly from Amsoil, quite a bit less expensive that Spectro Gear Oil. I was gonna just use Formula + but I wanted something different. $23.00 is too expensive, especially if there are good alternatives out there.
  9. hotroadking

Spectro is good, Amsoil is good, Mobil1 can run in all three holes, so the advantage there is you only have to have one oil, Harleys Syn3 is good. Amsoil Gear oil in a box full of gears, ie transmission makes sense...

You haven't done wrong, all of it's good.....
  10. snydley

snydley Active Member

Amsoil this time, when I change it next time I'll try Mobile 1. Unfortunately Spectro is a little too "rich" for me, as long as there's cheaper, good choices.
    Thanks for the reply
    Snyde
  11. hotroadking

Amsoil is fine, if the bike runs good with it don't worry about changing to Mobil 1 Vtwin, if you do be sure to get the Vtwin mobil1 not just any 20W-50 Mobil 1 for cars.
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  12. snydley

snydley Active Member

Thanks for the tip!
    Snyde
  13. snydley

snydley Active Member

Sorry I didn't update. I put it all back together, started it up, ran it for awhile and I have no leaks. I haven't had it out on the road yet. I have 2 other Harleys on the road, a 1998 FXSTC and a 2008 FXSTSSE2 so my Electra-Glide doesn't get a lot of miles on it. It's just not as "fun" as the other 2! Once I do take it out for a ride I'll post the results here. I followed the instructions so hopefully everything was done correctly.
  14. hotroadking

Nice to hear, retired with three bikes, worst day is figuring out what to ride....
    snydley likes this.
  15. snydley

snydley Active Member

That's what I thought when I first got all of mine. Turns out it's more like I've always got one to fix! With a 1960 FLH, my 1st Harley, had it since 1975, a 1982 FXE, and a 1988 FLHTC it's always something! Not so much with the 1988, but with the other 2. I seem to always fix something. I've since sold the 1988, and replaced it with a 2005 FLHTCI, and bought a 1998 FXSTC, my favorite, (bar hopper), and a 2008 FXSTSSEE2, (to replace the '98 FXSTC, but I love that bike so much I can't part with it), it's a little more bike than I need, but it sure is pretty! I took the 2005 to the local STEALER and had them replace the stock twin cam spring loaded chain tensioners with the hydraulic tensioner system they came out with in later years. I want to make it as reliable as possible. I didn't have all of the special tools necessary to do the job, and instead of buying them and doing it myself I decided to have the STEALER do it, and feel better about having them do it vs. wondering if I did everything right every time I drove it! To me it was worth "piece of mind" to pay the extra $$ and have them do it. It's just not the same as wrenching on my old Pan or Shovel, plus I'm getting to the age where I don't want to do much more than change oil and plugs and small project like the oil cooler I put on the 2005 FLHTCI.
    again, thanks for the reply, nice chatting with you, take it easy and we'll do it again sometime.
    Take care,
    Snyde
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Red Rider2 likes this.