1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High Altitude

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by johnr733, Jun 7, 2011.

1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

probably a little lean on the slow jet, try a 48, sometimes shimming helps sometimes it don't. I run a 48 in both my bikes and have the same jetting as I had with an EVO with 10.5 :1 compression. I'm at 6,000 ft, the 190 is probably pretty close. Change jets before shimming.
  2. johnr733

johnr733 New Member

Yes, I know it raises the needle, but what effect does that have on the carb? Why would someone choose to do it, what are they trying to solve by this step?
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Shimming the needle raises the needle a little and it allows more fuel in at lower rpm, it is a way to mask the main problem of being to lean at low rpm.
    In reality a thinner needle will change the amount of fuel without changing the jetting. The needle from the first (1988-89) 1200 Sportster, Part No. 27094-88. This needle is smaller in diameter (richer) in its straight-diameter section, which controls mixture strength in the 1/8-1/2-throttle range.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Shimming a needle has an effect on all ranges of the needle so before doing so one needs to be prepared for more than a single change. Because the needle has several steps that help transition idle to an off-idle state, off-idle to midrange, and finally midrange to a handoff to the main jet for 3/4-full throttle, all these transitions will move when shimming the needle. Every version of needle has it's own specific profile to address the range in which it is expected to deliver for a particular engine or model. The most common consequence of shimming a needle is that you cure a lean off-idle mixture but the move allows the main jet to circuit to kick in too early, thus creating an overly rich condition before the engine rpm is ready for it. This can sometimes feel like the engine momentarily bogs (not to be confused with a hesitation) as the bike reaches full throttle.

I am a firm believer that using the proper needle designed for an application is far more accurate than attempting to shift a transition point with shims. There are circumstances where shimming is appropriate but you should know what you are seeking to change and how that will change other areas before throwing a shim on a needle. Adding a shim to only improve the off-idle section is better accomplished by tuning the mixture screw. This is also why I have spent years in developing needles, because needles such as the N65C (1988 XL) were developed to overcome a dead spot on a carb that lacked an accelerator pump, but this same needle may not be the right choice for other models.
  5. johnr733

johnr733 New Member

Hi again guys, need a little insight here.

For the first time since installing the kit I had the bike on a relatively steep hill today. Bike started sputtering rather badly and I had to start goosing it to keep it running. Float related? Any other thoughts?

As always, thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Did it sound like it was pinging?
  7. johnr733

johnr733 New Member

No, not really the description I would have, more like a missing feeling.

However I would be curious as to what to do if that happened to be the case also.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Just how steep was that hill to make you think it s float related ? I have Been over the mountains of new mexico & not had any trouble from the float in my C V carb , if it your float it's not set right , I would check to see if there's dirt or crud in the float bowl
  9. johnr733

johnr733 New Member

It as probably one of the steepest I've ever driven on. The reason i attributed it to the float is because I did adjust it when installing the CVP kit and i felt it was a little tricky. Not sure of myself, you know?
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

oh now i see I live at sea level & rode all over the mountians of new mexico with no problums , sounds like you float is just a hair off