1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High Idle

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Apr 5, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Did you git a recall on the filter in yer gas tank mabe having a crack in the part the held the filter. It caused the bike to surge at idle.
    I did mine last year and paid them to replace the fuel filter while they had it out of the tank.
  2. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

All this talk about cheap tuners scared me. I did get on the wait list for the Tmax w autotune. Cardboard how was the one on yer 07 to adjust? I'm curious if I can install this unit without having to dyno right away. I don't have a laptop computer for easy adjusting. Hope zippers doesn't take to long to get the 08 tuner out.
  3. cardboard

Order yer Thundermax setup with the program to yer bike.
    See if you can borrow a notebook or figure out how to git yer desktop to the bike so you can hook it up if necessary.

Haven't ask, but the 08 Bikes will probaly come with different software for the DBW.
    You will git a Cd with it, and you will have to have a cord to hook it up and probaly a driver. Without being able to hook it to a computer you not going to be able to check a lot of things.
    When you git the Thundermax sit down and read all the instructions before you try puttin it on yer bike.
    If you was closer I would help and use my notebook to help you.

Oh on the 07 bike. you pulled the 60 amp fuse and disconnected the 02 sensors and took them out of the pipes. you removed the factory ECm and put the Thundermax in the place of it.
    You ran the long wire down the frame or under the gas tank to the front and hooked it to the front 02 sensor.
    Git some Dielectric grease and put it on yer connections for the 02 sensors and the plugs on the computer.
    Permatex Dielectric Grease
    Do not git anything on the 02 sensors.
    After hookin everything up put the 60 amp fuse back in and iniatialize the bike.
    Hook up the computer to it and read the instructions.
    I would link the computer to the bike and open the monitor and crank the bike and let it run for 30 seconds. Shut it down and wait about 5 minutes, then crank it and let it run till it gits to 285* and shut if off,
    Don't know if Thundermax will change the directions by then with the new program or not.
    Thats why I said SIT DOWN AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS 1st.
    The bike will tune itself. you need to make sure the closed loop is checked and take the bike for a spin and make sure 6th gear indicator light works and everything .
    The bike will tune itself as you ride.
    The TM is a great unit.
  4. cardboard

The dyno folks ain't gonna dyno yer Cobra.
    Check yer plugs and wait.
  5. cardboard

6. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I didn't get any recall about a fuel filter problem. When I got the engine temp management control shut off the engine idles smooth at 1000 rpm. The cobra works ok but falls short in a lot of areas. I might have a laptop than I can borrow for setting up the bike.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

2 causes for carbon build up are an engine running too rich and the oil mist from the crankcase breather venting into the intake. Guy's with more knowledge than me can give you more detail on that subject.
    Kevin, I think you may have chosen the wrong fueler, but to group them all as "cheap" I think is unfair and inaccurate. There is a difference between inexpensive and cheap.
    The Tmax will work very well on a Stage 1 or whatever build you're gonna do in the future.... I think a PC V is available for your bike too,but they really up the cost for a Stage 1 upgrade, and overkill IMHO when all you need to do is add a little fuel to your set up.
    Since you've been "scared away from the "cheap" fuelers...going for one of the high end control units is probably a better way to go, I'm not trying to convince you to go one way or the other.
    My pockets aren't deep enuf to spend $900 for a stage 1 just to get the fuel mix right. I'm just going to add the SE fueler to mine, reroute the crankcase breather out of the intake and add a little more fuel to make up for the increased airflow.....pretty much the way stage 1 carbed bikes have had it done for years
  8. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

I Have A 08 Ultra. When I Started The Bike Up I The Morning, It Would Idle At 3000 Rpm. Went Too The Shop They Said It Is The Way You Shut It Down. Anyway, In The Book With The Bike It Explains How To Bring The Idel Back Down. Has Too Do With Shutting The Bike Off A Couple Of Times. I Also Got Ride Of The Parade Program. Dont Need To Shut Half Of The Bike Down When It Get Hot. Been Driving Harleys Since 67, Dont Want Too Change
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Say thank you to the fly by wire
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

while we are speaking on how great the new efi's. computers are on the new harleys, a group of us were riding in west texas. two of the riders were riding brand new 09 rental bikes. a deluxe and a electraglide. cardboard was on this run and witnessed this incident. we stopped for a break in a small town. when we tried to leave, these new bikes would not start. we called the dealer, which was about 800 miles away, to try and solve this problem. after a couple of hours, the dealer still had no answers. one of the riders from england mentioned that over there some bikes would shut down while riding. it appears that if the puter gets a stray signal from a radio tower the bike will shut down. across the street there was a small trucking company with a tower. we decided WTF!!!! it is worth a try....we pushed the bike about 300 yds down the street, temps were over 100 degrees, were all hot, tired, overweight, and over 50!!!!! once the bike was out of signal range, it started. oh what fun these puters are!!!!! we called the dealer again about this problem.....they didnt have a clue. when the bikes were returned, they did get a bit of compensation, and one of the techs admitted he had heard of this, and was going to "check into it". if he did or not, i dont know. but i do know that two 09 bikes would not start do to radio interference. yup, i love my carbed machine!!!!!!!
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's kind of spooky Chuck. My Ultra is an 09 and I have been concerned about this TBW (throttle by wire) set up. While I've had no issue with it I would still prefer the cable throttle. Sure glad the Springer is carbed.
  12. cardboard

Think if I REMEMBER right it was the alarm on the bike that gave them the problem. They didn't know the override code.
    When I had a HD hands free alarm on my other bike I always carried 2 fobs with me.
    The bike I had with the FI computer never had a problem.
    I got TBW on my bike with over 25,000 miles and no problem. Its the 1st year HD came out with the TBW also.
  13. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I'm on the wait list for the Tmax w/Auto tune. What does cause the oil mist? I had a sportster before this and I had a hypercharger on it and noticed if riding in really windy conditions for extended time that the bike would use a little oil. The 08 will do the same thing.
  14. cardboard

My bike don't use any oil, what kind of oil are you run'n and how much do you put in the bike.
    Don't yer manual call for 4 U.S. quarts with a oil change.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Here's a description of Crankcase Breathing System, thanks to everybody's 3 favorite letters EPA. They want the gasses going back into the intake to be burned off instead of going to the atmosphere.
    Hope this helps you.

All modern engines have what is called positive crankcase ventilation (PCV). This is basically a vacuum which is drawn through the crankcase and entered into the engine intake. This ventilation picks up the hydrocarbons and other waste gasses from combustion, along with oil in suspended in a mist form inside the crankcase.As a result of this ventilation , blow-by residue in the form of dirty oil can and will accumulate in the area of the intake. (As you are seeing around your air filter)
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup. normal oil residue. the harder you run the bike, the more mist you will accumulate..........
  17. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Hey CB:
    I run Amsoil 20-50 @ four quarts. The sportster before this one used a small amount of oil caused by turbulence I think. I know the bike shouldn't use any oil but seems to.
  18. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Hey CB:

Just checked the plugs today. Plugs are clean with light brown or brown whitish color. Look good to me. I also wasn't checking the oil correctly. I was checking when engine is cold. Oil is right where it needs to be. Still waiting for the Tmax.