1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High Oil Pressure

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 5, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:D:D Good for you man, bet it felt good to :D
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Yep.

My oil pressure with the cold was up around 44 lbs runnin.
    It was at 32lbs.
    The thermometer here was a lot colder than the weather had it too.
  3. FLHTbiker

Mine has been at 60 cold or warm
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that sounds like a gauge/sender problem
  5. FLHTbiker

They put a separate gauge on it and read the same thing.
  6. chucktx

odd....the pressure should change with rpm's. should be higher cold than when at operating temps. i wonder if they pulled the sender and put an manual gauge to check, or just put another electric gauge on it???
  7. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Hotroadking and Cardboard, you are listening to the wrong people about lubricants. Do you think a dealer or mechanic knows more about engine testing than the engineers who make the stuff?

Amsoil DID do the proper tests for their oils prescribed by API (American Petroleum Institute). But their "White Paper" does not compare their products apples-to-apples with the other brands in the tests. They pick other brands that did not stack-up as well for particular tests in comparing to their own. Look at the tests closely, and you will see that they never run the competitor oils through ALL the tests--only the tests that Amsoil came out on top.

I'm not knocking Amsoil. It IS a great prduct. But why would someone want to spend more money when they can buy equally comparable oils for half as much?

Hotroadking: I was an automotive mechanical design engineer for 42 years, and know what I'm talking about when it comes to engines. Dino oils DO NOT meet the same standards as syn. oils in almost all categories. That is why the API ratings are much higher for most syn. brands. They ARE more slippery without exception. Manufacturers today use syn. oil in car engines because they get better gas mileage with it. Less friction = better gas mileage. That's what they're after today.

Thicker weight oils DO NOT hold-up better in normal operating wear tests, and will actually cause MORE wear on all bearings and sliding surfaces (cylinder walls) on start-up of cold engines.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but you slammed me for spreading misinformation on a subject that I really am expert at. Sorry if I upset you brother.
  8. traveler4717

traveler4717 Active Member

Plz tell me about "bearing skate" and synthetics from an Engineers perspective. If the syn is more slippery I would think if the roller ball rolls or slides would be a moot point (unless there is another factor at play)
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Good for you, see it an't so bad being a little chilly.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If I came across as curt sorry, however that debate has
    been hashed out ad infinitum on the boards.

Do a search and you'll see comments back as far as 2000 easy
    where the old too slippery, or causes leaks (syn can but not because it's slipperyer)
    wars raged daily.....

There is not any more "slippery" oil
    its an old story beat to death and false

Misleads consumers, if you want to learn the truth

www.bobistheoilguy.com

bring that topic up there with the oil boys
    these people are into oil like we are into bikes

I have talked with engineers at Mobil1 and bearing engineers
    at torrington about it. They all agree syn has no more slipperyness
    than dyno, all it does is maintain it's original ability to lubricate longer
    and under higher temps.

Any bearing that skates is due to either

1) wrong type of bearing for the load type or
    2) improper installation

the reason you might not want to put it in an old Shovel is
    that dyno tends to gunk up and leave small smudge deposits
    as it looses it's ability to work over time (heat and time) and
    these deposits settle into nooks and crannies.

When you start running syn in that 30 year old shovel
    you end up with a base gasket leak, and syn gets blamed
    which is true to a point. Syn doesnt break down like dyno
    so it cleans longer, probably just like new for the full 3000
    mile interval, and it cleans out that gunk,

What happens is it finds the leak the dyno kept plugged
    with the sludge it couldn't clean out so you had a bad
    base gasket to begin with, just didnt know it.

Many a wrench has tried to blame it on the oil
    and they are wrong.

Not calling you out, just stating the facts
    about the two oil types...
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  11. traveler4717

Hotroadking, Thanks for the link! I'm off to get educated, back later
  12. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

good thread...just going thru lubrication properties of paraffin based oil vs synthetics at school. Up this way synthetic gets the nod. Designed to perform in extreme conditions..minus 40 in the winter for cold starts and remaining stable at operating temps. Synthetics flow better in cold temps and are less likely to break down at high temperatures. There is enough fluid friction in synthetic oil..bearing skate is an application issue..not a lubrication issue. this thread started with a high oil pressure question. High oil pressure can be caused by excessively tight tolerances, wrong viscosity of lubricant, blockage of the pump lubrication path or if it is a sensor problem..[sending unit for the pressure guage]..hopefully you'll get it sorted out
  13. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Bearing "skate" is a term used for a plain (bronze) main bearing sliding around it's retainer instead of the crankshaft journal. It (the bearing) had either the wrong tolerance-to-journal clearance, or it was installed and tightened against the journal too tightly, causing it to pinch or weld to the journal after initial running, and slide ("skate") around the retainer.

Presuming a roller or ball bearing is not defective, it is nearly impossible to do this during new assembly, as these bearings are inherently more true and hard. They can and will get eaten from foreign particles though, (dirt, grit, metal) entering the race and shaving down the rollers quickly .

Lastly, synthetic lubricants contain agents (esthers) that cause LESS FRICTION to all sliding or rotating parts. They don't contain sulfurs or phosphurs since these are organic compounds (found in convention oil) that break down quickly.

I don't care what anyone says about organic petroleum being equal to synthetic lubricant in terms of friction. IT ISN'T. And the tests we did for Ford, Porsche, Honda, Am. General (military vehicles) etc., etc., conclusively prove that. Synthetic oil causes less friction than any conventional oil. PERIOD.

If you don't believe me, then ask automotive manufacturers why they use synth. lubricants in all their new vehicles right from the factory. SYNTHETIC GIVES BETTER FUEL MILEAGE. Again, less friction (more slippery) allows a motor to spin easier. All the other gains are a bonus.
  14. FLHTbiker

Yea Bob, this thread is about high oil pressure, the sending was checked out and was OK as was the gauge. They are suspecting a tight motor. When the engine has warmed up and the RPM's are below 2,000 the oil pressure will drop. When the RPM's are at 2000 or above the oil pressure will go back up to 60. The viscosity was correct and I have sense gone to Mobile1 at their advice.
  15. traveler4717

Has going to Mobil 1 oil changed the pressure reading?
  16. chucktx

just for measures........went riding today....mid 60's. oil cooler uncovered. cold idle was 30.....cold at 2500 was 40+. hot idle 18 or so........hot 32. oh ya.....great ride!!!!!
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Ya went for a Ride today and didn't even INvite me.:rolleyes:
    We could of met for a Burger and a Beer. :rant:

And I sat at the house and put a timer on a light I've been going to put on for over a year.And rehung the Storm door so it would close better I've also been going to do for a year.
  18. FLHTbiker

Honey do list :D
  19. chucktx

was getting all the tags, taxes, permits taken care of.......rode two counties to do it.......

if i had your book of excuses, i could rattle ya off some.............:D
  20. FLHTbiker

Permits :) what yea going to build, addition onto the shop. :)