1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High Oil Pressure

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 5, 2011.

1. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I thought the new engines had higher pressure oil pumps for the cam tensioners.
    Or is it just higher volume?
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was higher volume
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup...volume. a bit more pressure also.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Don't have Hone Dew list.
    Things I've needed to do for a couple years. Got bored and did them.
  5. FLHTbiker

Switching to the syn oil has made no difference that I can see in the oil pressure.
  6. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I went for a ride last Saturday. 70 degrees, and put on 200 miles. Today (Tuesday) it may only get up to 0.

Attached Files:

7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Cool looking sporty, witch one of the young men are you? :D
  8. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Me personally, I wouldn't worry about high oil pressure. I would happy about it. Low or no O/P would concern me.
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That is good point. :D
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

not realy to high can BLOW seals out & cause oil leaks real fast & real bad ones :cussing:
  11. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

This cowboy is onside with the real cowboy on this. Pumps pump a volume. The resistance to flow is the pressure. Low pressure is restriction on the intake, leakage in the lubrication patch on the discharge side, excessive bearing clearance..etc. High pressure, assuming the guage, oil viscosity are within spec would lead to restriction on the pump discharge, tight bearings partially plugged oil lines or some other problem with the lubricant not being able to get pumped thru the entire lubrication path without excessive restriction. These engines have specifications for lubrication volume and pressure and there are allowances made for variations within reason..but beyond that..something isn't right somewhere. i'd be keeping a close eye on it.
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I'm the one taking the photo. That Sporty belongs to one of the guys in our group (also not pictured) called the Grey Ghosts. He's 80 years old next week, and still rippin' up the roads. I want to be like him when I grow up.

Attached Files:

13. FLHTbiker

I'll be watching it real close....Plus sense they have a record of it now if it goes its on their dime.
  14. cardboard

High oil pressure means restriction somewhere, it can also mean you might not be gittin proper lubrication somewhere and a lot of lubrication everywhere else, this ain't like a car. Glad to hear it ain't comin out the TB oh.
  15. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I guess being a shovelhead owner I don't worry as much. I'm not nervous. If my bike starts, I'm good. If it doesn't I get my tools out and figure out why. I leak oil, I blow smoke, I have high oil pressure sometimes, I have low oil pressure sometimes. It doesn't matter as long as I get her started. Thats what being a biker is about to me. I don't crap my pants everytime my bike makes a funny noise. Don't get me wrong please, I'm not trying to crack on anybody, I'm just relating from my point of view. If I rode one of my shovelheads to my local Harley mechanic and said I think I have high oil pressure that would probably look at me and laugh. If I had monthly bike payments and a warranty I might think differently but probably not. So again I wouldn't worry about "high oil pressure", if something breaks or goes gaazing! your warranty should cover it. Or maybe you like wasting your time taking your bike to the dealership to debate how and why you think you might have a problem, then sure go ahead, have fun with that. Me myself, I'd rather be riding.
  16. cardboard

Things has changed since the shovel head days. Tolerances are tighter.
    Biked don't vibrate yer hands off the handlebars.
    I really like the Twin Cam motors. Especially the 07's and above.
    Each year they git a few more bugs out. Just like the auto makers with their improvments.
  17. FLHTbiker

Hmmm, not going to dump on you for your way of thinking. No I don't like going to the dealer as I just want to ride to, BUT even though it may well be under warranty I still don't want to get left sitting beside the road out in no mans land.
  18. cardboard

I've had some good dealer work done under warranty.
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

don't you mean "A lot of work done under warranty?" :roflmao:
  20. cardboard

You got confused of me buying a after market starter, and it leakin oil and me tryin to figure out what was going on. Thought it was comin from the primary or Tranny seal. But i wasn't that.
    Worked with the Starter MFG to correct his problem he didn't know he had and his engineers made a miscalculation on the measurement of the parts.
    And puttin 6 starters on and 5 of them leakin oil all over the bike, Thought it was someting else. Even Redneck Chucktx helped me. I have since sent it back and still waitin on the money for the return.
    Wound up puttin a All Balls starter on that I got from Eastern Performance and never had a problem after that.
    Got a lot of good memories on that bike dude. Did a heck of a lot hard riding.